Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a 7 seater LR in May 2021. I didn't fill out the profile completely because I didn't want them to run a credit score in May 2021 for a car that may not be delivered for a year. Also I wanted to wait until they assigned a VIN to decide if I want to finance or just purchase it depending on where the interest rates would be whenever the VIN is assigned. It's not as if I could lock in the rate had I completed the profile anyways.

Fast forward a year later, I call them in June 2022 to ask what's the delay. They say to complete the profile which could make it get assigned quicker and they reassured me I can always change financing options later.

Now it's August 2022 and I see other cars with the same configuration being delivered on the West Coast, some who ordered months after mine. They tell me that it's because my profile was not completed until June 2022.

Asked to speak to multiple people, escalated this (which got rejected) and also sent an email to [email protected] since the terms and agreement never explicitly said my order would just be "on hold" until profile is completed. Seems like searching back on this forum it was also known by other customers but not well published or stated in the actual order confirmation page. I also told them they charged and collected the deposit, how was I supposed to know my order was not complete.

There was nothing in the webpage or order agreement that said I had to complete a profile to be in a queue to get my car built. So now it's essentially as if I ordered in June 2022 rather than May 2021. I could potentially get the longest delivery timeframe in history from date of order to delivery which is so idiotic based on how Tesla manages reservations/orders.
Bummer. I know it’s too late now but for others and perhaps your future orders, you can place an order and select cash payment rather than financing to avoid the credit check and to get your order locked in. You can always switch to financing later as your VIN is assigned. Same goes for trade-ins, you can choose to do that later even if you don’t select it when your order is placed.

Edit: noticed you acknowledge the option to choose financing after your order is placed. Just wanted to elaborate that this would mean selecting cash payment during order and that the same applies to trade-ins.

Reactions: yshailesh
Nonsense! What does profile completion mean? I gave them my money so give me my spot on the list. This company... SMH😫
I assume it mean at least having the registration details filled out. If that's the case, I think it might be a way to thwart the flippers. If you follow how people are flipping or were flipping, they reserve the car with a made up email account, they then leave the registration information unfilled till someone "buys the reservation", then add in new owners name and give them that email account. With the registration information filled out, you would have to ask Tesla to do the owner switch for you. That's just my theory.

Reactions: Maudelecks
I assume it mean at least having the registration details filled out. If that's the case, I think it might be a way to thwart the flippers. If you follow how people are flipping or were flipping, they reserve the car with a made up email account, they then leave the registration information unfilled till someone "buys the reservation", then add in new owners name and give them that email account. With the registration information filled out, you would have to ask Tesla to do the owner switch for you. That's just my theory.
Makes sense I guess... I completed mine a few weeks ago when I ordered way back in Jan.

Good idea, I'll work on that, update you soon
Ok! I just finished a call with DoL and the representative confirmed that, "No RTA County Fee as long as you live outside of RTA District area!"
Also, "Washington collects standard the state sales tax rate of 6.5%, plus a 0.3% "motor vehicle sales / lease tax", so the state tax levied on the purchase or lease of all vehicles is 6.8%" SalesTaxHandbook plus city sales tax
bottom line you pay taxes "where your vehicle will be registered"

Last edited:
Reactions: Driver 8
Ok! I just finished a call with DoL and the representative confirmed that, "No RTA County Fee as long as you live outside of RTA District area!"
Also, "Washington collects standard the state sales tax rate of 6.5%, plus a 0.3% "motor vehicle sales / lease tax", so the state tax levied on the purchase or lease of all vehicles is 6.8%" SalesTaxHandbook plus city sales tax
bottom line you pay taxes "where your vehicle will be registered"
What about which MSRP should be used to calculate the RTA?

Is this still an issue with the refresh or should we put PPF there just in case?