Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So guys it has been a while since I posted. We got our car on 9/22 but we have unfortunately dealt with some issues already. TLDR - really poor delivery experience with poor communication and FWD and frunk broke requiring a tow within 8 days of ownership.

On delivery day we were scheduled for pickup at the Dallas Tesla Center near Love Field airport. Our delivery time was 3 pm. We received notification the day before to "remind" us to come by the time listed. We were obviously very excited to pick up our MXP. We got there at 2:45 pm and went up to the desk and they told us to wait at some seats nearby. We took our seats and waited. And waited. And waited. About 45 mins later (we were the only ones waiting inside for their car while a few others were taken to their cars quickly) we asked what was going on and they said that some sort of oil or fluid needed to be topped off and it would not be ready to pick up till 5 pm (they close around that time). They also weren't sure where the car was but we did note that a white MXP was parked out front even before we got there. Then they were like oh yeah that's the car. So we went out and did an exterior evaluation. Some mild panel gap issues but otherwise looked good for us to pick up. We did ask for another car wash. We were given Uber credit to return back which was great because my wife was nervous to drive the car by herself without me so we were able to drive home together this way. We went home for a little while and got an Uber to return and made it back by 4:50.

When we got there we again had to wait and wait and wait. By 5:30 we were told that Plaids get an "extra" diagnostic check to make sure things were all great and that this was taking a little longer since they were training some people to do it. So we waited more and finally got the car at 6:30. They knew we waited a lot so they gave us the keys before we had to accept delivery so we were able to get in the car and the interior looked really good. We did feel a bit of pressure to accept delivery somewhat quickly since it was after closing time (all their fault not ours) but the guy did pair our key fobs and try to help explain things. We were satisfied and a bit exhausted by the waiting so we finally took delivery and were happy.. for 8 days.

We drove the car and everything was working well off the lot and for the first week. We had a trip from Dallas to Houston planned for a weekend trip and the car made the trip well. We went to show the car to some family and opened the FWD a few times and did the light show a few times which was really cool. Car ran fine and we left for our final destination about 20 mins away and got there around noon. Showed other family members the car on the driveway and suddenly the passenger side FWD wasn't closing all the way and was stuck open. Couldn't get it to close no matter what we did. Car software limited the speed to 10 mph because of this. Another issue simultaneously happened with the frunk refusing to close all the way despite a loooot of force. We were distraught after making this 4.5 hour drive and ended up calling Tesla roadside assistance to come help us. To their credit they didn't question anything and got in touch with a tow company and got us a tow truck within 1.5 hours. We then had to sadly get our 8 day old MXP towed to the Houston Tesla service center. We got there at 3:30 pm on Saturday. The guy at the counter basically said oh yeah we close at 5 pm and there's like 4-5 other people that just brought cars too. Your car won't be seen till Monday and we have no loaners. So our weekend trip ended with us taking my mom's Honda CRV home on Sunday and us having to leave Houston without our MXP (had to get back for work on Monday). To add salt to the wound they basically repaired the car in like 5 mins by manually unlatching the door and then relatching it which fixed it right away. Frunk was just a situation of "push down harder". It requires a huge amount of force to push it down to the latch position to the point of being borderline unusable. Within 10 mins of looking at the car they were ready for us to pick it up. They did supercharge it up to 100% for us but couldn't get the car towed/delivered to us in Dallas. I took an unplanned mid-week trip back down to get the car.

I'm not ready to say this car is a lemon. It continues to drive really well. We are interested in putting the Hansshow power frunk like I have in my MYP to sort of mitigate the frunk issue. But the wait and amount of money we paid was not rewarded with a perfect car so it has been super disappointing. This is sad for me to say coming from a self-proclaimed Tesla fanboy.

After the "repair" the FWD works correctly and we had a service center appointment scheduled to fix the alignment issue that is still slightly present. The frunk closes with a lot of force but it is reliably closing.

Attachments

• 20221002_131843.jpg
    20221002_131843.jpg
    781.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 20221002_131849.jpg
    20221002_131849.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 20221002_131858.jpg
    20221002_131858.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 20221002_131911.jpg
    20221002_131911.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20221002_131904.jpg
    20221002_131904.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20221002_131954.jpg
    20221002_131954.jpg
    731.8 KB · Views: 94
I also find my frunk a bit hard to close, especially the first few times. It does require the exact steps as documented on the owner’s instruction book, that is to use both hands, press the designated area, give it a firm push. Every time I close the frunk, I’m worried about the paint. Still can’t imaging if my wife accidentally opens the frunk.

Reactions: Eskimo YoYo
Well, got a call this morning. There’s a “containment hold” on the car. Something needs to be replaced on the rear drivetrain or some such. Will likely be another two weeks before I can take it. If something else comes along in between I can have that instead.

I am annoyed but I’m getting a car I’d rather have (plaid, CF) and probably faster than I would have gotten the other one.
Update because I know you’re all wondering.

Found another match but it would require driving to Tampa, and that makes no sense (that’s a general statement about Florida, not just about distance (sorry, couldn’t help myself)). So they ordered the canister of oil (as my SA calls it) to add to the motor. Fix takes 45 minutes. Once it arrives we can pick up same day. It was shipped last week, so might come today, might come Monday. Who can say?

If it comes today, should be able to pick it up Sunday before everyone leaves on various trips for three days; otherwise, I should be able to grab it Wednesday. Soon our long national nightmare will be over.

Meanwhile my EDD updates every day to: <yesterday> to <yesterday> + 7. Maybe the oil canister is a Time Machine?

Expecting to pick up MX this month. Any suggestions on what to check before taking delivery?
There is a check list you can use, seen here:

Of many things to check out, I say, ensure that the Falcon Wing Door (FWD) Sensors are actually working before deploying them in your garage - to avoid damage at first flight o_O.

You can see in the screen if they register an obstacle for a sensing vs non-sensing FWD, like below:

20191021_195217.jpg

Here is a thread about FWD sensors and garages:

My experience with FWD back in 2019 - seems to be ongoing issues with 2022s.

:)

2023 model year VINs
I just sorted and searched the Tesla Model X Orders Tracking sheet looking for any 2023 model year VINs (I worked with a copy so as not to mess up the actual sheet). Here is what I found for those who have reported on the sheet:
  • Only 2 with a 'P' in the 10th VIN character which designates 2023 model year
  • Neither of those have been delivered
  • VIN dates were 10/4 and 10/6
  • Deliveries are scheduled for 10/14 and 10/31
  • I don't know if these are the same 2023s that have been reported in this thread
Looking forward to more 2023s coming soon.
Thanks to @stonelance and others who are maintaining the sheet.

1665249565867.png

Thank you for the answer. Do you happen to know how long does it take for Tesla to come back with a trade in quote after we submit all the details?
I entered my info and pictures late one afternoon. The offer came in the next day Just after noon. I've had a couple of other dealer buy offers, all close to the Tesla offer. Not worth the hassle, considering the tax advantage here of not having to pay sales tax on the trade in amount. I accepted Tesla's offer. I don't really want the bother of a private sale for a couple thousand more. Also, if my delivery happens to be unacceptable (fingers crossed) I still have my Model Y.

Last edited:
I entered my info and pictures late one afternoon. The offer came in the next day Just after noon. I've had a couple of other dealer buy offers, all close to the Tesla offer. Not worth the hassle, considering the tax advantage here of not having to pay sales tax on the trade in amount. I accepted Tesla's offer. I don't really want the bother of a private sale for a couple thousand more. Also, if my delivery happens to be unacceptable (fingers crossed) I still have my Model Y.
I put mine in yesterday after getting a VIN. I was able to have my sales contact push it through. He's like, "oh you haven't gotten it yet? I'll send them a note and tell them to do it". The quote came in like 20 minutes later. I was pretty happy with my quote to my surprise...

Reactions: thomslik
I have a model X allocation that is getting delivered next week at the lower grandfathered in price of 114k. White interior, grey exterior, normal wheels, and 6 seat interior. Does anyone want this allocation; I am not taking it - just got my plaid x - but figured someone should take advantage of this lower price. LMK happy to transfer it to someone's account.

I have a model X allocation that is getting delivered next week at the lower grandfathered in price of 114k. White interior, grey exterior, normal wheels, and 6 seat interior. Does anyone want this allocation; I am not taking it - just got my plaid x - but figured someone should take advantage of this lower price. LMK happy to transfer it to someone's account.
Is that with FSD?

Just another small update to my order, my EDD window narrowed a little from 12/3-1/28 to 12/5-1/16 from 8 weeks to 6 weeks. That is consistent with previous reports that once you get a text asking to confirm details of trade, financing etc... your EDD will start getting smaller. Any movement or update is very exciting for me.

Last edited: