Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting on my 1/2022 X order. I will trade in my 2022 X with 5,000 miles. Just changed to round steering wheel. I’ve been driving with the yoke for six months. It looks cool and I am completely used to it. Parking is no big deal. I love resting my hands on the flat bar while on the highway. My concern is that in a high speed evasive maneuver where I had to move my hands on the wheel, I believe I would lose control of the car. So for that reason, I switched to the boring round wheel

Waiting on my 1/2022 X order. I will trade in my 2022 X with 5,000 miles. Just changed to round steering wheel. I’ve been driving with the yoke for six months. It looks cool and I am completely used to it. Parking is no big deal. I love resting my hands on the flat bar while on the highway. My concern is that in a high speed evasive maneuver where I had to move my hands on the wheel, I believe I would lose control of the car. So for that reason, I switched to the boring round wheel
That is also my concern with the yoke after a month or so with my 2023 MX. I also have an order from 4/22 (that I will probably let go unless it would get me HW4), and seriously considering the round option. The round steering wheel would be more boring, doesn't fix my biggest issue of the new config (horn and turn signals hard to use while turning without taking attention off the road), but I think it may be safer in an emergency evasive maneuver, especially if it has center horn so I don't have to look for the button...

Would be curious what practically conceivable high speed maneuver would require moving hands...

Would be curious what practically conceivable high speed maneuver would require moving hands...
A J-turn :) . Seriously though, all muscle memory for how to handle emergencies (get out of skids, correct understeer, swerving, you name it) has been developed over decades of driving with round steering wheels. When I try to honk, I still need to think to look for the button and not hit the center of the yoke. Similarly, I fear that in an emergency where I won't have time to think, the yoke will cause a mistake. That said, let me repeat that my main issue is with the turn signals and horn.

A J-turn :) . Seriously though, all muscle memory for how to handle emergencies (get out of skids, correct understeer, swerving, you name it) has been developed over decades of driving with round steering wheels. When I try to honk, I still need to think to look for the button and not hit the center of the yoke. Similarly, I fear that in an emergency where I won't have time to think, the yoke will cause a mistake. That said, let me repeat that my main issue is with the turn signals and horn.
I actually gave this a long thought before posting and could not think of situation where - in emergency - I'd need/want my hands to move. Almost other way around - I'd want them in same position on steering wheel (range of movement should be sufficient for high speed situations) and yoke would encourage that. Perhaps I am no thinking of some cases... Agreed re horn.

Is there any way to place an order on hold? I'm on the fence now as I have an X and the current ones seem.... meh. It was supposed to be here last year and now that it didn't, the registration is much more, like thousands more.

When I asked my service center if there was a way to put it on hold they said no because my EDD was last year and they can't hold past the EDD.
Tesla put a hold on my order late last year into January without my permission. So I doubt what you were told is accurate.

Reactions: richmich15
MX Delivery content at bottom..

Today I went to the SvC in a third attempt to wrest a over the counter item from the parts dept for my '22 MS.

Turns out it was quite a struggle, taking over an hour, as the service tech, went back and forth to the unseen abyss that is the parts dept.

In the meantime, we developed a bit of rapport with common experiences on cars, MB S class and MS.

At the end, he handed me the part, we were both happy the ordeal was over, I and mentioned that I had ordered a MX just in case.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. In fact, I did not realize what happened until a while later.

He looked at me with alarm and asked, "When?" I said, "I could schedule it for tomorrow"

He said, looking furtively from side to side at the other techs, while waving his hands about his keyboard, "No, just... Just don't... You don't want that....not now."....No...Don't...

Then a long pause, and more sideways glances, and said, "Not now, give them a couple of years"

I said problems with the FWDs? He just rolled his eyes as if I had no idea, and said , "Just wait until they get things fixed"

So I walked over to sales, and just for fun asked, "How long do I get to inspect the car? Can you open it for me prior to accepting?". They said 30 min, and no, we cannot open the car, you must accept it first. I had them cancel, and after 7 months, the MX is off my app.

So, one less person in line, and 20 cars like my order (See sig) in local inventory.

Best of luck to all. I'll retreat back to the MS issue threads.

Last edited:
[...] mentioned that I had ordered a MX just in case.

[...] He said, looking furtively from side to side at the other techs, while waving his hands about his keyboard, "No, just... Just don't... You don't want that....not now."....No...Don't... Then a long pause, and more sideways glances, and said, "Not now, give them a couple of years"

I said problems with the FWDs? He just rolled his eyes as if I had no idea, and said , "Just wait until they get things fixed"

So I walked over to sales, and just for fun asked, "How long do I get to inspect the car? Can you open it for me prior to accepting?". They said 30 min, and no, we cannot open the car, you must accept it first. I had them cancel, and after 7 months, the MX is off my app.

So, one less person in line, and 20 cars like my order (See sig) in local inventory. [...]
With all respect, if the suggestion had been to wait a couple of weeks or months, I can see that. Center horn, matrix headlights, HW4 with high res radar and possibly with headlight/taillight cameras coming up. I'd love to have all of that, and I plan to cancel my LR on order (current EDD Feb-March) if it won't get at least a few of the above. But a few years? On my second MX, the only issue I know that may take a few years is the alignment/suspension that eat the inside of the rear tires (I had two blowouts in 40K miles in my previous MX), and this may or may not have been fixed in the latest refresh. Everyone has a few issues that annoy them (e.g., you mentioned FWDs--I love them but not everyone does), but there is nothing that would justify waiting years if you would benefit from the SUV form factor. Level 3+ FSD will probably take years, but that is not an X issue.

You are probably right about the accumulation of inventory though. People may be holding out for new features or a price reduction. Also non-Tesla large-ish SUV alternatives are catching up.

Last edited:
With all respect, if the suggestion had been to wait a couple of weeks or months, I can see that. Center horn, matrix headlights, HW4 with high res radar and possibly with headlight/taillight cameras coming up. I'd love to have all of that, and I plan to cancel my LR on order (current EDD Feb-March) if it won't get at least a few of the above. But a few years? On my second MX, the only issue I know that may take a few years is the alignment/suspension that eat the inside of the rear tires (I had two blowouts in 40K miles in my previous MX), and this may or may not have been fixed in the latest refresh. Everyone has a few issues that annoy them (e.g., you mentioned FWDs--I love them but not everyone does), but there is nothing that would justify waiting years if you would benefit from the SUV form factor. Level 3+ FSD will probably take years, but that is not an X issue.

You are probably right about the accumulation of inventory though. People may be holding out for new features or a price reduction. Also non-Tesla large-ish SUV alternatives are catching up.

Putting this in context, the input came from a SvC mechanic/advisor.

Possible he just wanted one less MX in his shop.

I am taking delivery next week and they have confirmed that my car which has a built date of Dec 27 will have Ultrasonic Sensors. I am a little disappointed because it also means that I am likely not getting any new features.
Frankly I was happy to still get the USS on my X (build date Dec 6). The thing about Tesla is, it's like buying a computer. There is always something better if you wait six months.... and another six months... so you can wait forever. If I have the option to add upgrades later, I'm ok with that. You are getting the updated rear screen, take comfort in that :)

If I put together a timeline for my 2008 M3 through its model run’s end in 2013, there were dozens of substantial, user-facing running changes in software and hardware. It’s not just tesla, they just communicate the changes and support their customers in the stupidest way possible until you’re actually standing in the service bay talking to a human. Once you get there, it seems at least for my SC, they do pretty well.

But Jesus the communication before during and after sale…it pains me to admit it but Tesla has proven to this fluff-hating engineer that PR and marketing professionals can be value added

• Funny
Reactions: jasondclinton
If I put together a timeline for my 2008 M3 through its model run’s end in 2013, there were dozens of substantial, user-facing running changes in software and hardware. It’s not just tesla, they just communicate the changes and support their customers in the stupidest way possible until you’re actually standing in the service bay talking to a human. Once you get there, it seems at least for my SC, they do pretty well.

But Jesus the communication before during and after sale…it pains me to admit it but Tesla has proven to this fluff-hating engineer that PR and marketing professionals can be value added
Sincere question: what comms do you want to have pre and during the sales process? I literally do not want to talk to any one, because they just don't provide value. I've ordered and taken delivery of two Teslas now. I like the process. I don't want to talk to them, I don't want to see them, just take my money and give me my car. Post sales support, that I get.

Reactions: jboy210
Sincere question: what comms do you want to have pre and during the sales process? I literally do not want to talk to any one, because they just don't provide value. I've ordered and taken delivery of two Teslas now. I like the process. I don't want to talk to them, I don't want to see them, just take my money and give me my car. Post sales support, that I get.
Clear and correct information regarding the delivery date. That’s all I need.

Reactions: EEORed