Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this day and age, it definitely is drive-by -wire; it’s just not “linear” —that’s apparently what T is working on (progressive). It’s interesting, I was looking at the new Merc (and I’m a fan), and it’s rather large round wheel made me think of those cars from the 50s. We soon will look at round wheels as archaic, like we do with key pad Blackberrys or rotary phones, or stick shift (I miss the “feel” of the car but had to get with the program and accept “automatic transition”). Tough to imagine now, but it will become the norm before we even notice it.
My two cents.
You might be right. Ferrari uses a yoke in some of their road cars and you don’t hear much complaining in that community.

Reactions: TallBill and Elixir
You might be right. Ferrari uses a yoke in some of their road cars and you don’t hear much complaining in that community.
In my head its about the goal for the car too. Ferarri and even the Model S, I'd argue, are meant to be fast and sporty. A Model X is a three row SUV that you often hear as a recommendation for families with 3+ kids, which means both spouses will end up driving it. My wife, not a fan

In my head its about the goal for the car too. Ferarri and even the Model S, I'd argue, are meant to be fast and sporty. A Model X is a three row SUV that you often hear as a recommendation for families with 3+ kids, which means both spouses will end up driving it. My wife, not a fan
Makes sense. My wife found our X too big, so I drove it and will drive the replacement one. She has the 3LR and she likes that size and drive much more aggressive than me. My children are adults so they don’t get a vote.

Totally makes sense —but for us all who have kids and love driving machines, this is a dream car. It’s why we all avoid minivans and Caddilacs :) While we haul the fam in the 3 rows, some of us are thinking KITT while others are dying to rev on to the highway ramp in 3.8 in our MX LR!! Happy Father’s Day to all!

In Norway, and I guess most of Europe, we are littered with roundabouts and the yoke + buttons for turnsignal will just not work. Not even a round wheel option as long as there is no turnsignal stalk. Once the yoke / wheel is turned you will have to look down and search for the buttons. At some point these (left hand) buttons may actually be on the other side, meaning left and right will have changed places. This is unsafe, unneeded and solves a non-issue (visibility).

Can someone save me the trouble of reading through this entire thread and tell me if Tesla has given any dates, tentative or otherwise, for the X to go back into production? I'm still dumbfounded that they're losing almost a year of production, but even more surprised that I never hear a word from Tesla about the X.

Reactions: Tdreamer
Can someone save me the trouble of reading through this entire thread and tell me if Tesla has given any dates, tentative or otherwise, for the X to go back into production? I'm still dumbfounded that they're losing almost a year of production, but even more surprised that I never hear a word from Tesla about the X.
So...it's kind of like this: the Model X will start production approximately 1 month after the refresh Model S startup began - as stated by Musk. Some have speculated that it'll happen after the quarter-end (June 30th), since it's the time that usually best suits such changes. That is, you're looking at 10 days before it commences. However, the first builds are usually about ensuring quality and such, so depending upon how that ramp up goes it could be upwards of a week or a month before true production begins. Hopefully, whatever slowed up the Model S startup helps prevent the same issues with the Model X startup.

Reactions: Tdreamer
My theory here is that they're going to push MSP deliveries for Q2 end to pad delivery and revenue #s, then continue into Q3 with MSLR deliveries while ramping MX production, then push to deliver MXPs at the end of Q3.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
If any of the aftermarket accessory manufacturers that produce accessories for Tesla come out with a replacement full circle steering wheel, would it be possible for them to actually add stalks or is that just not a possibility? Wishful thinking, I know. I may end up canceling my MX and either buying a used 2020/2021 MX or a new MY.