Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If any of the aftermarket accessory manufacturers that produce accessories for Tesla come out with a replacement full circle steering wheel, would it be possible for them to actually add stalks or is that just not a possibility? Wishful thinking, I know. I may end up canceling my MX and either buying a used 2020/2021 MX or a new MY.
TSportline might do a round wheel for the refresh, but not likely the stalks. You can contact them if you're that set on it. Tesla Model X Steering Wheels

Reactions: nBar5EV1
Having watched the videos the lack of stalks doesn't bother me much, I could adapt to the buttons. The wheel shape is a no from me dawg, I use 100% of steering lock like 10 times a day

I think they have vastly overestimated their customers' tolerance for this kind of "take it or leave it" buzz-generation "feature" and are going to face real competition real soon. Hope they offer an alternative.

Having watched the videos the lack of stalks doesn't bother me much, I could adapt to the buttons. The wheel shape is a no from me dawg, I use 100% of steering lock like 10 times a day

I think they have vastly overestimated their customers' tolerance for this kind of "take it or leave it" buzz-generation "feature" and are going to face real competition real soon. Hope they offer an alternative.
I doubt it’ll put a meaningful/significant dent in sales tbh, at least until the typical auto OEs release EV products that are either affordable or with long range or both. Tesla is in a unique position where I actually think they can get away with this type of design whereas a legacy automaker may not.

I’m sure there will be aftermarket options and eventually they may support an OEM option.

That's a matter of perspective. From my perspective, they allowed me to order a car they had ZERO intention of building, and I'm 100% honest in saying our decision to buy had nothing to do with the (very minimal) rumors that a refresh was coming. I'd totaled a vehicle seven weeks prior, my wife decided what she wanted, and we ordered, period. They took our money knowing full well they weren't going to build.

I agree with you. On Jan. 23 when you ordered and Jan. 26 when I ordered, Tesla had their new photos and web site pretty much ready to go. Why advertise the old model and old pricing with no intention of building the car? Nov. 2020 orders, that's a different story. Not 1-4 days prior.
And then it was another 4 weeks before the Stores were well versed in what to do.

BTW, you should have a delivery expectation by now. Your footer shows no delivery date.

Reactions: peety3
I just placed an order for LR white/white, 7 seater for the wife. I actually wanted to get the Y for her, but the latest version of the X now seems like a noticeable step-up from the Y: 3 screens, ANC, higher quality interior/seats. Is that enough to justify the price difference? Hard to say, but I'm optimistic that it's quieter and more luxurious.

Expected delivery is January-February, so will have time to evaluate in person (once the plaids are out) to decide to stick with this or get the Y.

Reactions: s373n and Elixir
My thoughts exactly! Also, trying to convince my wife, who don't care one way or the other about Tesla, to spend that kind of money on a car without a steering wheel is...frustrating 😩 An option would ease the concern many of us have. Personally I don't like the look of it, it seems like a safety liability, and I'm concerned how to perform proper signaling, in the numerous roundabouts we have in Norway.
Most of the cars here in Texas musta come without the turn signal option. So we don’t see them turn signals in those darn roundabouts around these parts, y see.
My temporary GLS 450 has them, but I’ve never used them much. It’s more about how big the star on the grille is for deciding who goes next I guess.
Kinda like the Riverside Freeway, the 405, Dan Ryan, NJ turnpike.
I think we’ll all be just fine with the yoke.
And remember it’s probably temporary anyway, and removable for service in Tesla’s ride hailing service running on The Blockchain that will again eliminate middlemen like Uber and Lyft.
Elon figured this out decades ago

Does anyone actually have an estimate of when they’re starting production of the refreshed X? (EDDs aside).
Febtober.

Seriously, the X has got to be the lowest priority production car right now. This is interesting as the X outsold the S in 2020 and 2019 and, generally, would seem to have broader appeal given the cargo and people space along with the speed.

Regardless, we will have no idea until VINs start coming or they announce an X delivery event.

I just placed an order for LR white/white, 7 seater for the wife. I actually wanted to get the Y for her, but the latest version of the X now seems like a noticeable step-up from the Y: 3 screens, ANC, higher quality interior/seats. Is that enough to justify the price difference? Hard to say, but I'm optimistic that it's quieter and more luxurious.

Expected delivery is January-February, so will have time to evaluate in person (once the plaids are out) to decide to stick with this or get the Y.
I have a P90D X and an X refresh on order and just took delivery of a YLR. Had a 2013 S many years ago.

The current X isn’t really appreciably more “premium” than my new Y. If it’s like the Plaid Ss we’ve seen, the new X won’t be super premium either. Worth the dollars over the Y? That’s all about the end user. In some ways, my new Y with acceleration boost is more fun to drive than the P90D because it’s smaller and just feels more nimble. And I kind of like not having the dashboard.

If you legit need three rows, clearly the Y won’t work. I have a 7 seat Y and my 7 year old is tight in third row.

My wife was going to drive the new Y but has taken the X. Why? 100% for the auto doors. I have to say, that’s what I miss most on ANY car I drive other than the X. Sounds crazy, but they’re incredibly useful all around.

I have a P90D X and an X refresh on order and just took delivery of a YLR. Had a 2013 S many years ago.

The current X isn’t really appreciably more “premium” than my new Y. If it’s like the Plaid Ss we’ve seen, the new X won’t be super premium either. Worth the dollars over the Y? That’s all about the end user. In some ways, my new Y with acceleration boost is more fun to drive than the P90D because it’s smaller and just feels more nimble. And I kind of like not having the dashboard.

If you legit need three rows, clearly the Y won’t work. I have a 7 seat Y and my 7 year old is tight in third row.

My wife was going to drive the new Y but has taken the X. Why? 100% for the auto doors. I have to say, that’s what I miss most on ANY car I drive other than the X. Sounds crazy, but they’re incredibly useful all around.
I have a M3 and a new MX on order. I’m also considering MY instead to replace 3 but based on videos/pics of new MS, the X is going to be far superior to Y and may justify the price difference for some (like you said).

There are the auto doors and a bunch of other features that aren’t on the Y. Comparing new X to XP90D probably isn’t fair given the improvements that have been made since then. Even the new LR (not to mention Plaid X) probably handle better with improved suspension, build quality, etc.

Febtober.

Seriously, the X has got to be the lowest priority production car right now. This is interesting as the X outsold the S in 2020 and 2019 and, generally, would seem to have broader appeal given the cargo and people space along with the speed.

Regardless, we will have no idea until VINs start coming or they announce an X delivery event.
If the X outsells S, why would it be low priority? Tesla is probably aiming for a million sales in ‘21 so I’m sure producing all their models ASAP is a priority.

Elon guided X production one month after S, so should be soon barring any glitches. Some here have August edd so that would make sense. Mine says September for 1/31 order date.

Uncle Elon guides towards many things that never happen. FSD beta button? No. 2 weeks to new AP software? No. New roadster? Missed that date by far. Plaid +? Cancelled (for now). Etc.

The S is the still the halo car for Tesla and it’s easier to get to go 0-60 in under 2 seconds, which is the headline, right? Odd since it’s effectively the same weight as the X, but whatever.

I am not agreeing with Tesla, just saying this is the case. The X will happen when it happens. That’s why current deliveries are into 2022 and my early order shows September. Not a priority, especially since they’ll miss any X deliveries in this quarter.

Reactions: TallBill
Any confirmation of Europe MS Plaid or LR Vins yet? Wonder whether we will have the same situation & delays even when MX Plaid & MX LR Vins start issuing...
No idea about VINs, but yes, we will have the same delays and moving delivery dates, etc. That’s just the way Tesla works, and has worked, for the almost decade it’s been mass producing cars. All are well worth the wait. The pre delivery experience, however, is terrible.

Reactions: lsds
I have a M3 and a new MX on order. I’m also considering MY instead to replace 3 but based on videos/pics of new MS, the X is going to be far superior to Y and may justify the price difference for some (like you said).

There are the auto doors and a bunch of other features that aren’t on the Y. Comparing new X to XP90D probably isn’t fair given the improvements that have been made since then. Even the new LR (not to mention Plaid X) probably handle better with improved suspension, build quality, etc.
I agree it’s not apples to apples. My point was simply there’s not a huge difference between quality parts and feel between the X and Y like there is between say a C and S class Mercedes. This is true with the refresh from what we can see so far. In fact, my older X actually has ventilated seats, for example, that work great.

The X is worth more if the buyer feels it’s worth more - period. Regardless of generation.

wifebot, who is much more style and fashion and design-astute than I am, disagrees wholeheartedly on the Y vs. X and the "premium" feel. Car nerds are not the arbiters of style ;)

But I agree in principle. There isn't anything special about how a more expensive car is screwed together, usually. The difference is all in the cost of parts, and whatever profit the manufacturer can squeeze out of the consumer thanks to the increased capabilities those parts and dimensions allow. One of the best Mercs I ever sat in was a friend's W204 C300 manual - it felt like everything had been welded together rather than screwed together. We have a W212 E63, a car costing 3x as much when new, and while it's nice inside, it doesn't feel any better-made

The refresh X is not going to handle better than even the crappiest version of the Y. They come on similar-sized tires and the Y weighs more than half a ton less and is smaller in every dimension. There's only so much you can do with adaptive dampers. Ride and NVH is a different story, that's not a fair fight

I don't think there's going to be a delivery event, I bet the X's just start showing up, fairly soon, because Long Range S's are already being shipped so the "they only make the high margin vehicle first" thing doesn't seem to be happening on the refresh x/s

Really need to get in one so I can decide if I want to get an order in, so, following this thread with great interest

Last edited:
Uncle Elon guides towards many things that never happen. FSD beta button? No. 2 weeks to new AP software? No. New roadster? Missed that date by far. Plaid +? Cancelled (for now). Etc.

The S is the still the halo car for Tesla and it’s easier to get to go 0-60 in under 2 seconds, which is the headline, right? Odd since it’s effectively the same weight as the X, but whatever.

I am not agreeing with Tesla, just saying this is the case. The X will happen when it happens. That’s why current deliveries are into 2022 and my early order shows September. Not a priority, especially since they’ll miss any X deliveries in this quarter.
It's 500lb lighter and the weight pivots around a much lower CG and it's much slipperier. That's why Plaid X will "only" be a low 10-second car. Such a turd :)

I have an August delivery now... but I have a LR white with white interior... so i'm not holding my breath. I'll be happy when we start seeing the line actually start producing cars. I hope they don't do the plaids first on the X too.... and do a mix. Then there's the seat configs... a whole lot of variables.