Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2022 Model X plaid AC smells bad, and vibration, not fix yet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the car in August 2022. The AC started to smell bad (sour smell) after about 3 months. I tried to change the filer, did not help at all. I sent the car to the service center, they used a machine with Airco Clean in the cabin, and replace the filter again, cost me $236. It did not improve at all. The weird part for my M X is the smell only appear when the AC is on outer loop and the smell is even worse in the rainy day. There is no bad smell when the ac is on inner loop. Could it be the HEPA filter? I remove the trim and saw the HEPA filter for the biohazard mode is right behind the air intake.
Another issue for my car since I got it, is the ac will cause vibration. No pattern has been founded yet, the vibration will go right away if I adjust the fan speed or any AC function. And will go back after about 5 seconds. The vibration can only be noticeable when the car is stopped.
Please share me any information if you have the same issue.
0faabc3d20889e1e73d52a72a90e68e.jpg

Did you end up figuring this out? I have the same issue on my 21 refreshed S. They changed the filter as well as used the Airco Clean but the smell persists. The smell was there the very next time and every time since when it rains.

The smell is terrible. It's driving me crazy and I can't reproduce the problem for service since I can't match up appointments with rainy days.

The HVAC stress test from service mode stated that the test passed so that didn't get me closer to resolving this.

Reactions: SeanTiz and SWSPB
Did you end up figuring this out? I have the same issue on my 21 refreshed S. They changed the filter as well as used the Airco Clean but the smell persists. The smell was there the very next time and every time since when it rains.

The smell is terrible. It's driving me crazy and I can't reproduce the problem for service since I can't match up appointments with rainy days.

The HVAC stress test from service mode stated that the test passed so that didn't get me closer to resolving this.
Unfortunately not, I have given up. I set the ac on inner loop and the odor issue is better. I did the ac stress test, and it passed too. We have very similar issue, my car smells worse in rainy day, I live in CA, so there are not many rainy days. My last guess will be the HEPA filter, but I'm too tired to book another appointment and risk my money on it. I noticed the HEPA filter is right behind the air intake, and it is relatively lower than other cars. The water could be suck in along with air and trapped into the HEPA filter, and grow mold. If the mold is growing on the evaporator, the odor will be there no matter it's inner or out loop. This issue looks like a design flaw, and I don't except any solution from Tesla.
For the AC vibration issue, I did find sound from the service mode. The vibration will appear when the compressor is running at around 1200 rpm.

Reactions: SWSPB
Unfortunately not, I have given up. I set the ac on inner loop and the odor issue is better. I did the ac stress test, and it passed too. We have very similar issue, my car smells worse in rainy day, I live in CA, so there are not many rainy days. My last guess will be the HEPA filter, but I'm too tired to book another appointment and risk my money on it. I noticed the HEPA filter is right behind the air intake, and it is relatively lower than other cars. The water could be suck in along with air and trapped into the HEPA filter, and grow mold. If the mold is growing on the evaporator, the odor will be there no matter it's inner or out loop. This issue looks like a design flaw, and I don't except any solution from Tesla.
For the AC vibration issue, I did find sound from the service mode. The vibration will appear when the compressor is running at around 1200 rpm.
Our 2022 X AC smells horrible. Like dirty socks. Any news on what we should do?

Did you find a solution? Our 2022 X AC smells horrible like dirty socks.

Pretty easy to self service your HEPA. Take it out and see if that is where the smell is coming from. If so, replace or remove filter.

Same with those cabin filters. If it is causing the smell, simply take them out. Smell is worse than a little dust.

Pretty easy to self service your HEPA. Take it out and see if that is where the smell is coming from. If so, replace or remove filter.

Same with those cabin filters. If it is causing the smell, simply take them out. Smell is worse than a little dust.
Well, thanks for your tips. I couldn't find any videos regarding how to replace the HEPA filter. Please share one if you know any, Thanks!

I’ve having the same smells in my 2022 MS. The service center has replaced the cabin filter twice.. and blames it in the hot Texas weather. I’m getting tired of taking it it the sc but it’s ridiculous to have this smell coming out of a 1yr old car

Common with many cars (not just Tesla) that have cabin air filters.

Lots of cleaning sprays sold at auto parts stores.

Easy solution, is to simply remove those filters that get smelly.
It’s common after thousands of miles, not 2 weeks after getting a fresh one. My car has 15k on it.. this isn’t common. Don’t normalize something that is an engineering flaw.

It’s common after thousands of miles, not 2 weeks after getting a fresh one. My car has 15k on it.. this isn’t common. Don’t normalize something that is an engineering flaw.
I agree with you. Replacing a cabin filter won't help at all. Plus, the refreshed model X's evaporator is no longer accessible, the way the service did to my system did not help either. My last try will be replacing the HEPA filter from the service center, I'm still waiting the quote for it. Will give you guys an update if this is the fix.

Did you see this video? It looks pretty straightforward.
Apparently, this is no longer the configuration of the refreshed 2022 model X. Our mobile service tech said that if replacing the cabin filter did not help, that do need to replace the HEPA filter and suggested we do that at the dealer. He also stated that cleaning the evaporator has not proven to be an effective fix and would be a waste of time and effort.

I came across images from another 2022 model X owner who did remove the frunk bin and still was unable to locate the hepa. Apparently it's not so easy to replace anymore and it DOES need to be replaced to stop the smell.

Unfortunately, our HEPA started smelling bad after about 12-15 months in humid Wilmington NC.

-Zach