Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 90kwh packs are actually 100kwh [Speculation]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's certainly out of character (can't think of anything they've ever hinted at through their corporate FB page; usually it's twitter and usually it's elon's account) but anything's possible.

Of course the better question is... "what does TWO underlines mean?!"

Could just be a social media intern posting an old pic that matches an emoji, not realizing how rabid fans will find hope in any scrap of information released...

(I'm as guilty as anyone!)

Reactions: newtman
Software limited?

Discuss?
Ugh! From an accuracy point of view, I wish I had never uttered that thought on this forum! GRRRRRRRRRR! Many people took my thought and ran with it, way tooooo far. I was discussing probabilities and what-if's, and no one at any point has considered this PROBABLE (even though technically it MIGHT have been POSSIBLE). Damn me and my rosy-eyed way of talking.

However, from an intrigue point of view, the speculation has been downright fantastic. There's the upside.

But, likelyhood? VERY LOW. (Here's why: it's very expensive to make high capacity, so by the time they've actually achieved a higher capacity, they're most likely going to have to cash in on the marketing advantages right away. This even considers varying amounts of reserve, etc.. However, we did need to all think about this to really come up with this conclusion, so in the future when this gets discussed again, a thorough examination of all angles would still be appropriate. But is it likely they hid an out-right capacity level increase? We think no.)

I bet we will see 75 Kwh and 100 Kwh as the new battery sizes on the S and X. I don't think there will be a software upgrade to unlock this. They probably are already making them in these sizes and having them software limited to more gingerly cycle the batteries.

When the Gigafactory starts making the larger format batteries, the energy density can increase even more in the same form factor. I predict 100 Kwh and 150 Kwh about the time that the Model 3 is released to keep folks wanting the premium models.

When the Gigafactory starts making the larger format batteries, the energy density can increase even more in the same form factor. I predict 100 Kwh and 150 Kwh about the time that the Model 3 is released to keep folks wanting the premium models.

That may be but I don't think the large format batteries will fit in the Model S/X. (You would either have to raise the floor, or make the battery stick out lower. (Unless they made the batteries lay horizontal instead of vertical, but that might be difficult to do.)

I don't know, but just in case, you may just want to get some salt and pepper ready.

As God and a certain Canadian lawyer are my witnesses I will eat some sock should it turn out Tesla have delivered 100 kWh cars to customers who thought they were buying 90 kWh cars.

*(Notice I didn't specify the amount of sock to be consumed any more than the generic term "some").

• Funny
Reactions: msnow
The estimated/suggested larger battery size of roughly 20700 is less than 1/4" taller than the current 18650 cells. They may even fit inside the current frame with just tweaks to the wire fuse position and plastic casing used to hold each module.

The estimated/suggested larger battery size of roughly 20700 is less than 1/4" taller than the current 18650 cells. They may even fit inside the current frame with just tweaks to the wire fuse position and plastic casing used to hold each module.

When they scale up with the 20700 at the Gigafactory, the density will definitely increase as would the battery sizes in my estimation. Where are they with getting that factory going? That is when the fun will begin. Perhaps start with a super high capacity Model S/X like 150Kwh for $30K more to reduce demand while they scale up production. I would much rather have the extra range than Ludicrous mode.

When they scale up with the 20700 at the Gigafactory, the density will definitely increase as would the battery sizes in my estimation. Where are they with getting that factory going? That is when the fun will begin. Perhaps start with a super high capacity Model S/X like 150Kwh for $30K more to reduce demand while they scale up production. I would much rather have the extra range than Ludicrous mode.

Gigafactory is operational as of Q1 2016. Not at full capacity but production has started.