Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S 2021/2022 with yoke winter driving Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the full range 100% to 0% highway driving range on model s under subzero contains with passengers and cabin heat? Has any one taken trip recently? Wanted to see the winter driving range with cabin heat and loaded with 5 passengers

I'll take a stab at this and guess about 240miles if you stay below 65mph. Hills, wind, speed and how cold it is are all going make a difference. Five in an S will not be exactly comfortable for the rear middle passenger. Was almost designed as it were 2 bucket seats in the back.

Thanks .. 240 miles is kinda of a bummer for people in really cold climate doing long trips. Initially I was exited about plaid ++ when it was advertised for 520 miles +.. because in cold climate with A/C turned on to heater we I expected it to get 350 miles or even 330 miles on full charge ..

The initial heating really kills efficiency on short trips in winter. My consumption is ~420Wh/mi on my short trips to the gym or work, so together with pre-conditioning losses, maybe only ~220 miles of range. But on a longer trip, even in sub-freezing temps on 20" winter (e.g. soft with deep tread) tires is closer to 310Wh/mi - maybe 320 miles of range or so 100->0%.

i would say i was getting about 1/2 the claimed range when it was 16 out, and i had 3 passengers. the cabin was comfortable (my side was an awesome 68, heated seat and yoke), my wife's was insanely uncomfortably warm at 75. Note, even at 16 degrees, when the sun would hit, it would heat up even more to the point that we had to lower the temps.
i didn' trust the trip planner estmimates, and i had preconditioned in my garage plugged in.
so, i used i think 40% for a round trip that was about 100 miles, and included maybe 30 miles or so on the highway (turnpike) and rest in streets.
i also had a 300 mile trip when it was about 20 degrees, 1 was alone one way, with a passenger on the return. there was some elevation, mostly highway, and some night time (so headlights). i didn't trust the range going, coming back (including some down hill) i think the range was spot on.
i still think the cold weather reduces the range by 40 to 50%.
I saw a youtube video this weekend of a 2,000 and 2,500 model 3 trip, 2,000 in summer, 2,500 in very cold winter, where he showed a range drop of about 20% (which i thought was quite good, he had the old resistive heater and not the more efficient heat pump) however, i will say one fallacy of his testing - he went in the opposite direction - so i don't know if he could have had a tail wind, or elevation to help him.
he also ran the batteries a little differently, by charging shorter and more frequently, and said it just about balanced out both ways.
hope this helped.

I forgot TeslaFi has a nice feature to show efficiency by temperature bands. Here are my stats from my Raven MS Performance (drives >35 miles)
1644339890320.png

And my Plaid:
1644339918305.png

Note that I'm not sure if TeslaFi re-baselined the Efficiency percentage for the old records versus new, so the % column might be off (it's probably using the Plaid target efficiency for the Raven records). Also, as you can see I am not a hypermiler. My Raven's stats are either with 19" winter tires or 21" forged wheels and summer tires. Plaids are all with 20" cast winter wheels/tires so far.

Thank you all. Now I am confused to get an Model X or Model S. I do long trips and range is big concern on X (being a bigger vehicle with same model s battery). I won’t go for plaid .. personally don’t need that extra acceleration bu paying a 40K premium.

What is the full range 100% to 0% highway driving range on model s under subzero contains with passengers and cabin heat? Has any one taken trip recently? Wanted to see the winter driving range with cabin heat and loaded with 5 passengers
Suggestion: use “A Better Routeplanner” ( www.abetterrouteplanner.com ) to check out your potential long distance trips before buying a car. If you use the full “detailed” settings and enter all of the relevant temperature/speed/load/wind information, the site provides remarkably accurate results in my experience.
The long and the short of it is that you’ll find that the 100-0% range isn’t really relevant for most trips because it’s not the fastest way to travel - shorter legs with more frequent charging is.

Suggestion: use “A Better Routeplanner” ( www.abetterrouteplanner.com ) to check out your potential long distance trips before buying a car. If you use the full “detailed” settings and enter all of the relevant temperature/speed/load/wind information, the site provides remarkably accurate results in my experience.
The long and the short of it is that you’ll find that the 100-0% range isn’t really relevant for most trips because it’s not the fastest way to travel - shorter legs with more frequent charging is.
The idea is to get to my destination with out the need for supercharging even on winters.

Had one this past weekend with my family of 5. Plaid 19" wheels chill mode. 25 degrees 25mph headwind 80mph with heat on- 460 Wh/mi for 90 miles. Return trip wind died, same temp 83mph heat on- 420 Wh/mi.

So far for 3400 miles this mild winter, I am at 374 Wh/mi. Heat on mostly the time, mostly all freeway 70+ loaded with kids and car seats.

Had one this past weekend with my family of 5. Plaid 19" wheels chill mode. 25 degrees 25mph headwind 80mph with heat on- 460 Wh/mi for 90 miles. Return trip wind died, same temp 83mph heat on- 420 Wh/mi.

So far for 3400 miles this mild winter, I am at 374 Wh/mi. Heat on mostly the time, mostly all freeway 70+ loaded with kids and car seats.
To put that in context, given the battery's ~98KWH capacity, 100%-0% range would be:
  • ~213 miles @ 460 Wh/mi
  • ~233 miles @ 420 Wh/Mi
By comparison, Edmunds got 345 miles in their "Range Test" of the Plaid with 21" wheels:
Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

To put that in context, given the battery's ~98KWH capacity, 100%-0% range would be:
  • ~213 miles @ 460 Wh/mi
  • ~233 miles @ 420 Wh/Mi
By comparison, Edmunds got 345 miles in their "Range Test" of the Plaid with 21" wheels:
Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds
Thanks! Yes, that is exactly what I use in my calculations, and has been dead accurate so far. I need to be right on around here as there is very limited super charging.

Thanks guys for your information. I am kind of confused , to go for X or S. Biggest concern is range, With X it is going to be worse than S. I really wish tesla had plaid++ variants (which promised 520+ Miles on S, so equivalent on X would have been 440 or so).. that extra. Ra he certainly helps for trips during winter with creature comforts