TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Refreshed Model S: Ambient Lighting

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by DoubleE, Jun 28, 2016.

1. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Really wish that there was center console area lighting. Considering there are no actual sunroof buttons overhead, there's a lot of space to add some ambient lighting.

At night, it's hard to plug my iPhone into the dock without turning on the map light.

Anyone else agree?

• Like x 2
  2. jfoxny

jfoxny Member

Totally agree. It's a black hole down there at night. I think the issue stems from the touchscreen. Many times manufacturers use a light under the rear view mirror to light that area but that would glare on the touchscreen in the Model S. Still, I feel like they could have added an LED in the console area or under the storage compartment. Any DIY solutions out there?

3. Frankman60

Frankman60 Member

One possibility is to use a small USB powered LED light like this one:

Amazon.com: DROK® 5PCS Portable Energy Efficient Kids Child Night Light, 5V 100mA LED Keychain Light, USB Laptop Keyboard Light, White Brightest LED Lamp for Emergency Security Lighting Home Decoration: Home Improvement

It could be plugged into the other USB port. I don't have my MS yet so I don't know for sure how this would work. There are other variants of these types of USB powered LED lights so you may want to Google it to see other form factors.

4. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

That's a great idea!

5. iffatall

iffatall Member

I just used the driver side overhead dome light. Turning on the passenger side dome light makes it even brighter. Do you mean that this is not sufficient when you are looking for something?

6. Frankman60

Frankman60 Member

I continued to search for other LED USB lights that could do a good job of lighting up the cell phone dock area and came accross this combination light and USB flash drive. It is available with different color lights and up to 32 GBs in size. I was thinking that I could copy my music library to it and use it in the MS, and at the same time provide soft lighting to the phone dock area. I don't have my MS yet so I don't know if the phone dock cover will close with this sticking out of the USB port. I believe it will stick out of the USB port approximately 45 mm (1.77 inches). Do you think the cover will close with this USB drive installed?

Amazon.com: ONCHOICE USB Flash Drive 16GB USB 2.0 Memory Stick LED Thumb Drive Crystal Transparent & Blue: Computers & Accessories