Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S front end vs mock-ups of Model 3 front end!

Do you like this new front end styling?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe the Model S/X nose will make its way to the Model 3 because if that was Tesla's plan why wouldn't they have shown it that way. The Model X nose has been locked in longer than any nose design on the Model 3. I think the X design made its way to the model S because it allowed for the hood and lighthousings to remain the same. Also Franz has gone on recording saying that they don't want a "Unit Face" for the brand.

Reactions: Tezlah
I don't think they would have put the logo on the hood if they were just going to turn around and take it back off. Besides, without the mustache on the bumper, I think the logo would look out of place/tacked-on. I like the look of it on the hood, and the hood not going all the way to the edge of the bumper. Very AC Cobra-like, if you ask me.

Just don't look at the M3 from a low angle in front and you'll be ok. :D

The similarity to one particular mock up of the Model 3's front end (photoshopped) and the Model S's confirmed new front end is uncanny!

I think there's a VERY high chance this will, in fact, be the finalized front end for the model 3...at the very least for purposes of consistency amongst their lineup.

I've attached a side by side pic that I just threw together for comparison. I personally love this front end styling, and hope it does transition over to the Model 3 (again, it most likely will, IMHO).
This is what I came here to say. When I saw the front I instantly thought this is what the model 3 front will look like. 100 percent. I'd bet good money on it so we can put all the speculation to rest.

Reactions: plankeye
I love both this refreshed front end and the James anders design. I would happily buy either one. Prefer either to the duck bill, it just hasn't grown on me enough. Perhaps I am just being conventional but I expect to own my model 3 for 15 yrs and I want to love the whole design. I don't think they showed this design at the reveal because they wanted to stimulate discussion and customer involment in the design.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I posted this in another thread, but all I did on this photoshopped pic was paste the opening from the new Model S onto the picture of the Model 3 (and erased the T logo from the hood). No other adjustments or enhancements were made. I think it looks pretty good like this.

ZqqCHe2.jpg

Isn't there still a NHTSA bumper requirement for no damage under a certain MPH collision?
From nhtsa.gov:
3) What are the Federal regulations for bumpers?
49 CFR Part 581, "The bumper standard," prescribes performance requirements for passenger cars in low-speed front and rear collisions. It applies to front and rear bumpers on passenger cars to prevent the damage to the car body and safety related equipment at barrier impact speeds of 2 mph across the full width and 1 mph on the corners.

This is equivalent to a 5 mph crash into a parked vehicle of the same weight. The standard requires protection in the region 16 to 20 inches above the road surface, and the manufacturer can provide the protection by any means it wants. For example, some vehicles do not have a solid bumper across the vehicle, but meet the standard by strategically placed bumper guards and corner guards.

If you look at the shape of the mode 3 bumper it's practically made for that "grill" the model S/X now both have. I think this was the plan the whole time. IMO the reason that they would not have put it on the 3 for the reveal is that seeing it on there would more or less ruin the surprise for the model S refresh. Look at almost any car company and they have the same emblem/grill whenever possible. It makes the brand more uniform and recognizable.

I don't believe the Model S/X nose will make its way to the Model 3 because if that was Tesla's plan why wouldn't they have shown it that way. The Model X nose has been locked in longer than any nose design on the Model 3. I think the X design made its way to the model S because it allowed for the hood and lighthousings to remain the same. Also Franz has gone on recording saying that they don't want a "Unit Face" for the brand.

Your responses don't give me an option...

I'm OK with the X and new Model S nose.

But I like the Model 3 much better (although the "duck lip" needs a little massaging -- it looks odd from some angles)... I really like the T badge being on the hood instead of in the nose.
I am of the same opinion, but I picked #2 since it is closest. If the Model 3 has the little lip smoothed out (someone did a photoshop and it looks similar to a Porsche), that would look perfect for me. I don't think the Model X and new S looks as good with that little black piece that serves no function (looks like a nose to me, but some people see it as a mustache).

If you look at the shape of the mode 3 bumper it's practically made for that "grill" the model S/X now both have. I think this was the plan the whole time. IMO the reason that they would not have put it on the 3 for the reveal is that seeing it on there would more or less ruin the surprise for the model S refresh. Look at almost any car company and they have the same emblem/grill whenever possible. It makes the brand more uniform and recognizable.

Exactly, they never intended to release a blank nose on the m3, although all the hand ringing made for additional publicity. They wanted to release it on the S first, then the M3 follows. They do not want the tail wagging the dog. IMO, it looks great on the S and 3 and from a branding stand point, it makes a lot of sense. My only hesitation was that nose piece but now I can wait contently.

If you look at the shape of the mode 3 bumper it's practically made for that "grill" the model S/X now both have. I think this was the plan the whole time. IMO the reason that they would not have put it on the 3 for the reveal is that seeing it on there would more or less ruin the surprise for the model S refresh.

I doubt that could be the reason.
They are accepting pre-orders and reservations - so they want the Model 3 to look its best to ensure a successful launch.
It's just inconceivable that they would leave out a critical part of the nose and risk lowering the reservations count.

Model S is a well established car, whether before or after the refresh, while Model 3 basically determines the future of Tesla. It is way more important than Model S minor refresh.