TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

"Refreshed" Model S front end vs mock-ups of Model 3 front end!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Siciliano, Apr 12, 2016.

Tags:
?

Do you like this new front end styling?

1. Yes! And I hope it transitions over to the Model 3.

55.1%
  2. Yes, for the Model S... but I would like a different look on the Model 3's front end.

29.0%
  3. It's ok - I think it could grow on me.

11.4%
  4. No, I don't like it at all!

4.5%
  1. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

I don't believe the Model S/X nose will make its way to the Model 3 because if that was Tesla's plan why wouldn't they have shown it that way. The Model X nose has been locked in longer than any nose design on the Model 3. I think the X design made its way to the model S because it allowed for the hood and lighthousings to remain the same. Also Franz has gone on recording saying that they don't want a "Unit Face" for the brand.

• Like x 1
  2. ZAKEEUS

ZAKEEUS Member

I think they'll take the logo off the hood, but the headlights will not be the same as the S or X

3. plankeye

plankeye That Vegan EV Guy

I don't think they would have put the logo on the hood if they were just going to turn around and take it back off. Besides, without the mustache on the bumper, I think the logo would look out of place/tacked-on. I like the look of it on the hood, and the hood not going all the way to the edge of the bumper. Very AC Cobra-like, if you ask me.

Just don't look at the M3 from a low angle in front and you'll be ok. :D

• Like x 2
  4. pmich80

pmich80 Between U and me I'm giddy waitin' for the Model ≡

This is what I came here to say. When I saw the front I instantly thought this is what the model 3 front will look like. 100 percent. I'd bet good money on it so we can put all the speculation to rest.

• Like x 1
  5. Daliman

Daliman Member

I love both this refreshed front end and the James anders design. I would happily buy either one. Prefer either to the duck bill, it just hasn't grown on me enough. Perhaps I am just being conventional but I expect to own my model 3 for 15 yrs and I want to love the whole design. I don't think they showed this design at the reveal because they wanted to stimulate discussion and customer involment in the design.

• Like x 1
  6. azred

azred Active Member

As a Porsche 911 (993) owner I have hoped Tesla would also find an iconic shape. This front goes a long way in that direction. I hope it becomes standard across all models with only minor future tweaks.

7. McHoffa

McHoffa EV.network

I posted this in another thread, but all I did on this photoshopped pic was paste the opening from the new Model S onto the picture of the Model 3 (and erased the T logo from the hood). No other adjustments or enhancements were made. I think it looks pretty good like this.

[​IMG]

• Like x 3
  8. 1.21 Jiggawatts

It looks good on the model S. But I don't want this front end on the model 3. Don't do it tesla. Bad idea. Keep the 3 unique

• Like x 2
  9. Pando

Pando Member

Side by side comparison:

[​IMG]

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 2
  10. DavidP

DavidP Member

Me too, I don't think it's a good idea to put it on the TM3.
    It gives a more conventional look, slightly boring...

Original design is more sporty, have a ''wow effect''.

• Like x 1
  11. AUSinator

AUSinator Member

I couldn't wote as I love the look of the m3 and I think the new look of the ms is a big improvement.

• Like x 1
  12. AUSinator

AUSinator Member

Nice work but tesla reveal design is still my favourite

13. Sparky

Sparky Member

From nhtsa.gov:

14. Pando

Pando Member

Here's a bit of a mind bender - Model S having the M3 headlights. :Do_O

[​IMG]

• Like x 3
  15. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

If you look at the shape of the mode 3 bumper it's practically made for that "grill" the model S/X now both have. I think this was the plan the whole time. IMO the reason that they would not have put it on the 3 for the reveal is that seeing it on there would more or less ruin the surprise for the model S refresh. Look at almost any car company and they have the same emblem/grill whenever possible. It makes the brand more uniform and recognizable.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  16. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I am of the same opinion, but I picked #2 since it is closest. If the Model 3 has the little lip smoothed out (someone did a photoshop and it looks similar to a Porsche), that would look perfect for me. I don't think the Model X and new S looks as good with that little black piece that serves no function (looks like a nose to me, but some people see it as a mustache).

17. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I'm also of the opinion that the "moustache" looks fine on the Model S, but that the Model 3 should remain clean-shaven. I voted for option 2 since it's the closest.

18. 1000Down

1000Down Member

Exactly, they never intended to release a blank nose on the m3, although all the hand ringing made for additional publicity. They wanted to release it on the S first, then the M3 follows. They do not want the tail wagging the dog. IMO, it looks great on the S and 3 and from a branding stand point, it makes a lot of sense. My only hesitation was that nose piece but now I can wait contently.

19. yesup

yesup Member

I doubt that could be the reason.
    They are accepting pre-orders and reservations - so they want the Model 3 to look its best to ensure a successful launch.
    It's just inconceivable that they would leave out a critical part of the nose and risk lowering the reservations count.

Model S is a well established car, whether before or after the refresh, while Model 3 basically determines the future of Tesla. It is way more important than Model S minor refresh.

20. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

Personally I love it! Can't wait to be able to afford a CPO'd 70D in a few years.