Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S front end vs mock-ups of Model 3 front end!

Do you like this new front end styling?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla-model-3.jpg

Here how model 3 could look like with a new S front

I'm in the minority here, but I dont want the new S design on the 3. The 3 looks good as it is now, give it time and wait for some more sightings :D
The slit looks weird and tiny on the 3. It would also add drag, it doesnt make sense unless they have the HEPA filter (bioweapon defense mode) on the 3 as well.
I dont think alot of people will justify the premium interior if its similary priced as on the S/X

TBH, I think it works well on the S. Initially I thought it gave the X a single rabbit tooth look, but has since grown on me.

The Model 3 on the other hand should keep it clean, just the way it was in the reveal, gives it a fresher, sportier appearance that matches the car's dimensions. Whereas the S and X, being a bit bigger can keep the little grill for a more conventional grown up audience.

I'm not hoping for a single uniform face across the line-up, that will kill individuality of S/X and the 3. The downwards pout on all three is enough of a distinction to separate them from other mfgs.

I have never seen this front end in the flesh, but from the picture it appears that if someone backed into your car (say a botched parallel park), the hood would crumple and would need to be replaced rather than a minor bumper scuff. That is one thing I liked about the original Model S nose cone: pretty easy to pop off and replace if necessary.

To those who have seen an X in person, am I off in my perspective?
It's personal perspective, but I know that I wasn't much for the front end or the whole X shape, for that matter, based on the pictures. In person, though, both look quite pleasing. I don't know about the utility of replacing (or where the battery access is now), but I have a feeling this will look quite nice in person...

If you look at the shape of the mode 3 bumper it's practically made for that "grill" the model S/X now both have. I think this was the plan the whole time. IMO the reason that they would not have put it on the 3 for the reveal is that seeing it on there would more or less ruin the surprise for the model S refresh. Look at almost any car company and they have the same emblem/grill whenever possible. It makes the brand more uniform and recognizable.

Sorry but the surprise was already "ruined" when they revealed the X. As Franz mentioned, They are not wanting the cars to look like mini versions of each other (See link). If they wanted to put the grill on the Model 3 it would have had it at the reveal. No way is Tesla going to show a "comprised" design to just to create a surprise later. The only thing I wonder is if the opening is required for the bio-defense filter. If it is and it becomes an option on the Model 3 they may have to have some kind of opening.

Tesla Chief Designer: Model E Expected to Make Worldwide Debut at 2015 Detroit Auto Show - Inside EVs

I'm frankly not crazy about the Tesla "mustache" but I do think it'd improve the looks of the 3's front fascia as it currently stands.

I'd vastly prefer to see something similar to Mihai75's rendering personally. Grill-less without any added frills but shaped in a more attractive way (to my eye).

Having washed a Model X, the moustache is difficult to dry out. If the hood formed the top of the opening, it would be easier, but it doesn't. I don't think it's needed for Bio defense, either, as I don't recall seeing any openings in the back of the slot. Also, wouldn't the car try to minimize how much air it draws in (I understand it needs to draw some in, but it should be mostly recirculated air)?

The 3 would be better without the moustache, IMO for the sole purpose of making the car easier to clean.

I saw a picture on here in the "Front End...Hmmm" thread. Behind the 3 was the back end of a Model S, and having the size comparison made the duckbill bumper look much better. The front edge of the 3 is towards the bottom of the Model S bumper. The flat spot on the 3 is much smaller than a standalone picture would make it seem (similar to how a picture of the Roadster with nothing around it for size comparison makes the Roadster look much bigger than it is).

Some things look much better in person than in pictures, and the front end of the X is one of them. I suspect the 3 is, too.

I hate the mustache. I loved the oval on the MS, and liked it on the MX early designs. Then when the X final design was released it had that stupid mustache! It didn't match the MS, and it didn't flow with the rest of the car.

I was glad to see the M3 didn't have the mustache. I kind of like the little lip instead. But I'm hearing that they might tweak the design to include the mustache on the M3 as well. Why?!

I guess I wouldn't mind if the M3 was more sloped in front, but PLEASE don't add that mustache to the M3. And fire whoever put it on the MX.

I'm biased because I happen to like the existing Model 3 front quite a bit, but here's my theory: Tesla drops the mustache from the Model S and the Model X as a refresh shortly before or after the Model 3 launch, just like they just refreshed the front of the Model S to match the Model X.