Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S front end vs mock-ups of Model 3 front end!

Do you like this new front end styling?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The similarity to one particular mock up of the Model 3's front end (photoshopped) and the Model S's confirmed new front end is uncanny!

I think there's a VERY high chance this will, in fact, be the finalized front end for the model 3...at the very least for purposes of consistency amongst their lineup.

I've attached a side by side pic that I just threw together for comparison. I personally love this front end styling, and hope it does transition over to the Model 3 (again, it most likely will, IMHO).

Attachments

• modelSand3compare.png
    modelSand3compare.png
    596 KB · Views: 438
The similarity to one particular mock up of the Model 3's front end (photoshopped) and the Model S's confirmed new front end is uncanny!

I think there's a VERY high chance this will, in fact, be the finalized front end for the model 3...at the very least for purposes of consistency amongst their lineup.

I've attached a side by side pic that I just threw together for comparison. I personally love this front end styling, and hope it does transition over to the Model 3 (again, it most likely will, IMHO).

it's not THAT uncanny. it's the current Model X front end. it wasn't dreamed up and photoshopped out of thin air

How soon will it be available for a retrofit? I'll wager a couple of months and the cost will probably be >US$5000, roughly the same as the cone replacement costs for crash repair.

Well the refreshed Model S nose design certainly sounds the death knell of the excellent redesign of the Model 3 nose done by James Anders in the “Tesla This Is What The Production Model 3 Should Look Like” thread and which was further refined by Mihai75 in the ”Grill Me” Tread. Clearly this is the “corporate” front end that Tesla is pursuing for the remainder of the current design and production cycle, be it 3 years or 7 or more! The corporate design and the rationale behind it is fully understandable and in fact is quite laudable. But why does it have to be such a gosh awful design? Remember the Model 3 is “Tesla’s EV for the masses” and for those who are not necessarily committed to a BEV this duck-billed face could well be a “deal breaker”. Even I who have “drunk the kool-aid” and aspire to move up from my FFE to a Tesla in the next few years am having quite an issue accepting this design. I absolutely hate it on the X, damn near hate it as much on the Model S – actually prefer some of the Evannex nose cone alternatives and hate it on the 3 just as much as I hate it on the X. I’d like to lobby for the Anders Model 3 nose design but clearly that will be to no avail so …… Let’s hope that the interior at least gets improved as promised by Elon.

it's not THAT uncanny. it's the current Model X front end. it wasn't dreamed up and photoshopped out of thin air

lol yes, I guess you're right - although there were a few different ways they could have gone with the redesign. None of us really saw it coming, but in the end it makes perfect sense to stay consistent throughout the lineup, which is what makes me pretty confident they'll end up with that same design on the Model 3.

Your responses don't give me an option...

I'm OK with the X and new Model S nose.

But I like the Model 3 much better (although the "duck lip" needs a little massaging -- it looks odd from some angles)... I really like the T badge being on the hood instead of in the nose.

Ah yes I forgot that option. :D I don't see any option to edit the post or the poll...

Well the refreshed Model S nose design certainly sounds the death knell of the excellent redesign of the Model 3 nose done by James Anders in the “Tesla This Is What The Production Model 3 Should Look Like” thread and which was further refined by Mihai75 in the ”Grill Me” Tread. Clearly this is the “corporate” front end that Tesla is pursuing for the remainder of the current design and production cycle, be it 3 years or 7 or more! The corporate design and the rationale behind it is fully understandable and in fact is quite laudable. But why does it have to be such a gosh awful design? Remember the Model 3 is “Tesla’s EV for the masses” and for those who are not necessarily committed to a BEV this duck-billed face could well be a “deal breaker”. Even I who have “drunk the kool-aid” and aspire to move up from my FFE to a Tesla in the next few years am having quite an issue accepting this design. I absolutely hate it on the X, damn near hate it as much on the Model S – actually prefer some of the Evannex nose cone alternatives and hate it on the 3 just as much as I hate it on the X. I’d like to lobby for the Anders Model 3 nose design but clearly that will be to no avail so …… Let’s hope that the interior at least gets improved as promised by Elon.

Well, the refreshed nose on the Model S is OK and certainly not as blunt or offensive (IMHO) as the Model 3 nose. Funny how a few millimeters can make a big difference.

We already know Elon has indicated the M3 nose will be tweaked - likely to bring it more in line with the Model S refresh.

I have never seen this front end in the flesh, but from the picture it appears that if someone backed into your car (say a botched parallel park), the hood would crumple and would need to be replaced rather than a minor bumper scuff. That is one thing I liked about the original Model S nose cone: pretty easy to pop off and replace if necessary.

To those who have seen an X in person, am I off in my perspective?

I have never seen this front end in the flesh, but from the picture it appears that if someone backed into your car (say a botched parallel park), the hood would crumple and would need to be replaced rather than a minor bumper scuff. That is one thing I liked about the original Model S nose cone: pretty easy to pop off and replace if necessary.

To those who have seen an X in person, am I off in my perspective?

Agreed. That's a very good observation. On the new Model S, the hood extends all the way to the nose...however on the Model 3, the hood doesn't extend all the way to the nose - it looks to be about 6 inches off. So if you were to get into a fender bender you'd potentially be replacing only the bumper on the Model 3, as opposed to the bumper and hood on the Model S.

The photoshopped pic of the model 3 seems to have omitted the separation between the hood and bumper - if you look at the press pics of the Model 3, you can see the separation, almost even with the headlights. It looks a little off IMO, and the separation should be exactly even with the headlights...see the attached pic where I circled in red...

Attachments

• model-3-unveil-bumper.png
    model-3-unveil-bumper.png
    646.9 KB · Views: 238