Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S LR vs Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh wow I didn't think there were good options for this car yet. Would you mind PM'ing me a link so I could go ahead and order them? Was installation weird or pretty straight forward? Thank you!
I drilled some holes and used some push pins. Also some double-side 3M tape to protect the paint at the flap-paint interface. It took a while as it was a custom fit; had to make sure the flaps were parallel to the ground, etc.

Universal Basic Mud Flaps Set Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QHXK8Z...abc_SGADR4JAAEA3T584GR2K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Love
Reactions: Issaction
I drilled some holes and used some push pins. Also some double-side 3M tape to protect the paint at the flap-paint interface. It took a while as it was a custom fit; had to make sure the flaps were parallel to the ground, etc.

Universal Basic Mud Flaps Set Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QHXK8Z...abc_SGADR4JAAEA3T584GR2K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Buy a push pin kit as well.

GOOACC 240PCS Bumper Retainer Clips Car Plastic Rivets Fasteners Push Retainer Kit Most Popular Sizes Auto Push Pin Rivets Set -Door Trim Panel Fender Clips for GM Ford Toyota Honda Chrysler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L6FJGR...abc_C7TGBKBFS8MV4MTK4HF0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Buy a push pin kit as well.

GOOACC 240PCS Bumper Retainer Clips Car Plastic Rivets Fasteners Push Retainer Kit Most Popular Sizes Auto Push Pin Rivets Set -Door Trim Panel Fender Clips for GM Ford Toyota Honda Chrysler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L6FJGR...abc_C7TGBKBFS8MV4MTK4HF0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

00671763-CDEC-42EC-8DEC-5001C34A0579.jpeg

Model S, Model S, Model S, Model S. All day and twice on Sunday over an M3 or MY. No comparison. If you can afford it, the MS is such a superior vehicle in every aspect. Only reason to get an M3 or MY is to save money. For that savings, you get a notably inferior car. Louder inside, stiffer ride quality, less function. The Model S is the Mercedes of Tesla, the Model Y is the Toyota of Tesla in terms of ride quality and overall feel. One feels solid as a rock, the other, a little clinky. Drive both and you'll instantly get your answer. That's the best recommendation I can give.

Model 3 appeals to those seeking to not only save money, but for the smaller, sportier car. If that's your primary desire with a car, then the M3 makes sense. If you're seeking a high class car where comfort is near your priority list, that's where there's no comparison. With the MY, you sacrifice the sporty car advantage the M3 has, so if its between those two, its an even easier decision. Again, assuming cost is not a factor. For me, was well worth the extra money for the Model S after having suffered with an M3 for a few months.

Model S, Model S, Model S, Model S. All day and twice on Sunday over an M3 or MY. No comparison. If you can afford it, the MS is such a superior vehicle in every aspect. Only reason to get an M3 or MY is to save money. For that savings, you get a notably inferior car. Louder inside, stiffer ride quality, less function. The Model S is the Mercedes of Tesla, the Model Y is the Toyota of Tesla in terms of ride quality and overall feel. One feels solid as a rock, the other, a little clinky. Drive both and you'll instantly get your answer. That's the best recommendation I can give.

Model 3 appeals to those seeking to not only save money, but for the smaller, sportier car. If that's your primary desire with a car, then the M3 makes sense. If you're seeking a high class car where comfort is near your priority list, that's where there's no comparison. With the MY, you sacrifice the sporty car advantage the M3 has, so if its between those two, its an even easier decision. Again, assuming cost is not a factor. For me, was well worth the extra money for the Model S after having suffered with an M3 for a few months.
I just ordered the MSLR yesterday. Love my M3LR, but just love Tesla so I was looking for a change of experience, more room, quieter. Was considering a MYP but my wife has the MYLR and it is too bumpy for me. My only concern is missing the small zippyness of the M3LR. However I live in SouthFlorida and there is no where fun to drive anyway.

Reactions: jebinc

Having a June 2019 M3+, a 2021 Plaid and a 2021 MYP, I wouldn't be so harsh on the 3/Y... I do agree, the Plaid, with air/adaptive suspension, yoke, premium interior, make for a better cruiser/rocket ship than the 3/Y. If you spend all of your time in a busy city environment, the tossable 3/Y (with round wheel) could be a better choice. Range wise, the refreshed MS kills it; another point in the "good cruiser" column.

We had a 2019 Raven S Standard Range with the revised air suspension. I loved the S and couldn’t fathom “downgrading” to a Y and was considering jumping to a pre-refresh Raven X.

Now we have a Model Y LR in the garage, lol. As much as I love the FWD, I really don’t like driving something as big as the X. The X is huge on the exterior but it doesn’t translate to a spacious interior IMO.

My wife has a bad back and although I found the S driver’s seat comfortable, I agreed with her that the rear seat wasn’t that great in the S due to the low seat height. We test drove the Y a couple of times and found the ride quality a little jarring with 20” wheels. However, with the 19” wheels the ride was more than acceptable. Yes, the Y ride quality isn’t as smooth as the S with Raven air suspension but overall I feel the Y rides quite well for a crossover. At least the Y doesn’t suffer from shudder that plagues S/X and replacing both front half-shafts, TWICE, did not remedy the issue.

We have a 2021 Model Y LR with the new HEPA/Bioweapon Defense Mode so it really isn’t missing much from the S. The 2021 Y feels just as quiet as our previous S and the Y has more range and Supercharges twice as fast. My wife is also more comfortable in any seat in the Y and the rear seat provides more legroom than even the X, plus the 2nd-row seats recline!

The S is a beautiful car and I miss the second display. The single screen of the Y is a little cramped but is also more enjoyable to watch Disney+ on the widescreen compared to our S with vertical screen. I realize the new S refresh also went with a landscape screen but the premium on the refreshed S isn’t worth it to me. With all the features on the current Y, I surprisingly love it more than our Raven S and at a much lower price. No regrets going from S to Y for me as the Y really meets our family needs better.

We can afford the refreshed S/X but I honestly would rather have two Ys, or a Y and 3 in the garage for similar cost. As my wife is starting to drive my Y more and more, another Y/3 might just be in our future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Destiny1701

I definitely can tell the difference between MY and MS in comfortability, acceleration, luxury, and second screen! Probably because I had read too many posts talking about how bumpy MY is, I had a very negative expectation of MY before my test driving. However, it turns out to be okay, just not as good as MS. Also, as pointed out by another MY owner, MY's acceleration can be significantly improved by acceleration boost. I may need to schedule another MY test driving with acceleration boost to see what is the difference.

I just ordered the MSLR yesterday. Love my M3LR, but just love Tesla so I was looking for a change of experience, more room, quieter. Was considering a MYP but my wife has the MYLR and it is too bumpy for me. My only concern is missing the small zippyness of the M3LR. However I live in SouthFlorida and there is no where fun to drive anyway.

Having a June 2019 M3+, a 2021 Plaid and a 2021 MYP, I wouldn't be so harsh on the 3/Y... I do agree, the Plaid, with air/adaptive suspension, yoke, premium interior, make for a better cruiser/rocket ship than the 3/Y. If you spend all of your time in a busy city environment, the tossable 3/Y (with round wheel) could be a better choice. Range wise, the refreshed MS kills it; another point in the "good cruiser" column.

As a pre-owner of MYP, why did you choose to go for MS instead of MX? There are some great replies in this thread already, but I just want to know the opinions from different owners :D

It will be my first tesla and I plan to drive it as long as possible, so I am hesitant about which one to go given that I cannot test drive them long enough. I can afford the extra $$ from M3/MY to MS/MX, but not sure whether the difference deserves $25K in a long run. Moreover, because I ordered my MSLR before the price hiked, I am not sure whether switching to MX by paying $20K more and a couple of months of waiting deserves it.

I definitely can tell the difference between MY and MS in comfortability, acceleration, luxury, and second screen! Probably because I had read too many posts talking about how bumpy MY is, I had a very negative expectation of MY before my test driving. However, it turns out to be okay, just not as good as MS. Also, as pointed out by another MY owner, MY's acceleration can be significantly improved by acceleration boost. I may need to schedule another MY test driving with acceleration boost to see what is the difference.

As a pre-owner of MYP, why did you choose to go for MS instead of MX? There are some great replies in this thread already, but I just want to know the opinions from different owners :D

It will be my first tesla and I plan to drive it as long as possible, so I am hesitant about which one to go given that I cannot test drive them long enough. I can afford the extra $$ from M3/MY to MS/MX, but not sure whether the difference deserves $25K in a long run. Moreover, because I ordered my MSLR before the price hiked, I am not sure whether switching to MX by paying $20K more and a couple of months of waiting deserves it.
My MYP is my all around hauler, daily driver. The Plaid is the “Sunday” sports car/ long range traveling sedan.

We had a 2019 Raven S Standard Range with the revised air suspension. I loved the S and couldn’t fathom “downgrading” to a Y and was considering jumping to a pre-refresh Raven X.

Now we have a Model Y LR in the garage, lol. As much as I love the FWD, I really don’t like driving something as big as the X. The X is huge on the exterior but it doesn’t translate to a spacious interior IMO.

My wife has a bad back and although I found the S driver’s seat comfortable, I agreed with her that the rear seat wasn’t that great in the S due to the low seat height. We test drove the Y a couple of times and found the ride quality a little jarring with 20” wheels. However, with the 19” wheels the ride was more than acceptable. Yes, the Y ride quality isn’t as smooth as the S with Raven air suspension but overall I feel the Y rides quite well for a crossover. At least the Y doesn’t suffer from shudder that plagues S/X and replacing both front half-shafts, TWICE, did not remedy the issue.

We have a 2021 Model Y LR with the new HEPA/Bioweapon Defense Mode so it really isn’t missing much from the S. The 2021 Y feels just as quiet as our previous S and the Y has more range and Supercharges twice as fast. My wife is also more comfortable in any seat in the Y and the rear seat provides more legroom than even the X, plus the 2nd-row seats recline!

The S is a beautiful car and I miss the second display. The single screen of the Y is a little cramped but is also more enjoyable to watch Disney+ on the widescreen compared to our S with vertical screen. I realize the new S refresh also went with a landscape screen but the premium on the refreshed S isn’t worth it to me. With all the features on the current Y, I surprisingly love it more than our Raven S and at a much lower price. No regrets going from S to Y for me as the Y really meets our family needs better.

We can afford the refreshed S/X but I honestly would rather have two Ys, or a Y and 3 in the garage for similar cost. As my wife is starting to drive my Y more and more, another Y/3 might just be in our future.

My MYP is my all around hauler, daily driver. The Plaid is the “Sunday” sports car/ long range traveling sedan.

So, MY is more suitable for daily usage and MS is more fun?

So, MY is more suitable for daily usage and MS is more fun?
They are both suitable for daily use and they’re both fun. Sorry I’m not much help. The Model S is the best looking Tesla and I think it matches me best. However, the Y fits our family needs better (backseat comfort, dog, towing/bike rack, easier to park for my wife).

I know some folks install an eco stealth hitch on the S but I just wasn’t comfortable with that.

I've read through this entire very helpful thread and am still exactly 50/50 on ordering a refreshed MS LR vs MY + approx. $35k savings :D
Same here bud! I can get an MY LR blue/black/tow/7 pass early Jan or hold out for my MS LR black/white in order for May.

Arghh….2 completely diff animals. But similar space in terms of liftgate and usable storage space.

I love the S look and style, finish, screen and suspension. I love the Y for its higher up seating, adjustable seat backs 2nd row and 3rd row for when we travel around or have parents with us.

Heart says S…practical says Y. arghh…

Hi. I have a new MYLR with 19 wheels and really don’t like the ride quality. Maybe it’s the Los Angeles roads. Have ordered the MSLR
Could you comment on the trunk space between the two with the seats not folded down. Thanks.

Same here bud! I can get an MY LR blue/black/tow/7 pass early Jan or hold out for my MS LR black/white in order for May.

Arghh….2 completely diff animals. But similar space in terms of liftgate and usable storage space.

I love the S look and style, finish, screen and suspension. I love the Y for its higher up seating, adjustable seat backs 2nd row and 3rd row for when we travel around or have parents with us.

Heart says S…practical says Y. arghh…

Ok I think my 12 yr old kid just schooled me lol:
Convo this morning after we passed a Y on the way to school…and out of nowhere:

Son: ‘Baba...were we getting that 7 seat Y? I thought we need that one for room for grandma/aunty when we meed it?’

Me: ‘We havnt decided as the new S might be coming in May/June buddy.’

Son: ‘S is awesome baba I miss it too but the Y has seats that recline back and we can take our bikes around with the tow thingy. It’s better for us than S now. And my legs are longer now and the seats are higher in the Y.

Me: hmmm...True. We can get this Y early Jan and then decide later in May/June if we want to swap it to S’

Son: ya ok but I think the Y is better for the family. The S looks awesome ya but the Y is better for us.

When did this little guy get so smart?? Lol.

• Love
Reactions: 2101Guy