Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S LR vs Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in your opinion the 3 has better ride quality vs the Y. And what about the rear passenger comfort in 3 vs Y. I have also ordered the S but that’s several months away. Thanks.
No doubt my 3 rides much better. If the Y rode like it I would buy a Y. The Y is much roomier than the 3. You get about 5-6 inches of more legroom. With that said, I have had two adults in the back comfortably in my 3. I mean what are you doing back there, sitting? I test drove my friends MYP hoping it would be better and watched a video on the $2400 aftermarket upgraded suspension and wasn’t convinced I would be happy. Then I drove a friends S Plaid and it was a different game. Not the speed, I barely stepped on the gas from 30-60, it’s too fast! It’s the comfort and ride, amazing! Less like a boat than the older ones. It’s going to be hard to give up my 3. In just love Tesla’s so I’m excited about a new experience with the S.

Reactions: EVMeister
Hi. I have a new MYLR with 19 wheels and really don’t like the ride quality. Maybe it’s the Los Angeles roads. Have ordered the MSLR
Could you comment on the trunk space between the two with the seats not folded down. Thanks.
Dunno what Model S you drove that had a gas peddle? :oops:
It’s like dungarees!

Amazing how someone might just spend the extra money not to wait.
B2283EC1-5BB7-4C15-89DA-9EAB1D04CD8B.jpeg

I think the Plaid is going to flame out over time. The MS LR does everything it does except the one trick; ultra quick acceleration. The MS LR is quicker than the M3P at any speed and that already is a very quick car. For the price of my MS LR order, compared to the Plaid, it is fairly close to the price of my MY LR and my MS LR on order.

So while the 9 sec quarters are impressive, my life isn't filled with 1/4 mile passes from dusk to dawn. The MS LR running in the 10's is already pretty impressive. The biggest/fastest often tends to depreciate the most as soon as the next biggest/fastest comes out. The extra acceleration of the Plaid is the real difference between the two. I don't care if it has 3 motor vs 2, or carbon fiber everything. I'll just wait for Plaid 2.0 to buy the original version as likely they'll take a pretty big resale hit if the market insanity ever corrects itself.

I respect the people that want to have it, but for the extra 50k over the price of my LR, it isn't worth it. Obviously with all the Plaids in stock it seems like the initial demand might be somewhat sated, especially if the SAs are trying to push them to those with LR orders. Now if I could have been among the first 25 owners, that would have been made it more interesting. Now that it is out, it is a pretty known quantity and I've already seen quite a few on the roads so the exclusivity of the car has diminished. At the same time, if I could get a Plaid for about the same price as my LR or maybe 10-20k more, I'd probably do it. Then I'd have to find some place where I could really exercise its capabilities without going to jail.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
OP I think you should consider depreciation as a cost rather than the purchase price. While you have to pay 25k more, you also get more when you sell it. I think S LR will hold value well, Y too though. Basically there is no material cost difference. If you have the money or income to buy the S comfortably, just go for it. It's a better looking car. Even non-Tesla people like the look of the S. :)

OP I think you should consider depreciation as a cost rather than the purchase price. While you have to pay 25k more, you also get more when you sell it. I think S LR will hold value well, Y too though. Basically there is no material cost difference. If you have the money or income to buy the S comfortably, just go for it. It's a better looking car. Even non-Tesla people like the look of the S. :)

I came across a youtube video discussing this (
).
He asked carmax to appraise his MY Performance and MS LR. The results are
MY Performance, MSRP 60990, odometer 5000 miles, 3 months usage => carmax 63000
MS LR, MSRP 89900, < 1 week usage => carmax 78000

It looks like MS depreciates very fast even under the current weird used car market. This makes me a little bit hesitant about getting an S.

Thanks for sharing the vid. I would love to see what a Plaid brings in the same scenario.

As a model Y owner, I think it is sort of a very unique time. It seems to have the highest demand of all the Teslas as the moment. Obviously once that demand is closer to being met with Austin on line, likely to see more normal dynamics at play. The S seems to still be in high demand but maybe not at the level of the Y. My S should be here shortly but I am not as concerned about resale as I'll likely keep it for 5 years or more. In the past, as long as you didn't buy the performance version, resale has been pretty solid.

As for the Y, hopefully the used Y market will stay strong as we'll likely be selling ours shortly. My wife likes the Y but thinks it is too big so we'll likely pick up a 3 instead or maybe go outside of Tesla.

I believe one more factor that is working in favor of MY is the anticipated tax credits. Based on the numbers we know, it is likely MY will qualify for it and MS will not. Please don't flame me with comments the tax credits are dead .. i am just saying IF the tax credits materialize, they will offset MY cost but not MS cost.

Good point. I always go with what the facts are. If they do come back, who knows if they would be retroactive to the first part of the year. If not, then you are trying to time your delivery for after when they are in effect. Last year they were looking at a cap of about 80K which would have put the cheapest MS LR in play. Who knows where they will finally end up even if it does come back. Knowing Tesla, Elon would jack the prices up even more once it is a sure thing...

I’m contemplating upgrading my M3 to MY or MS LR… this thread is valuable. Just looking to get a bit more space. Upgraded interior would be nice too, but not sure it’s worth the extra cost for the S (as I get older, the higher entry height of the Y is attractive as well…. But it doesn’t seem enough of a change from the 3).

Did OP decide?

I’m contemplating upgrading my M3 to MY or MS LR… this thread is valuable. Just looking to get a bit more space. Upgraded interior would be nice too, but not sure it’s worth the extra cost for the S (as I get older, the higher entry height of the Y is attractive as well…. But it doesn’t seem enough of a change from the 3).

Did OP decide?
I decided to go with S but still have a Y order on hold. However, one reason is probably my S LR is at the price of $79900. I may go with Y if I need to pay the current price for S.

Reactions: geometro

Did OP decide?

My solution for this and aging was to get a MYP and Plaid last fall.

I decided to go with S but still have a Y order on hold. However, one reason is probably my S LR is at the price of $79900. I may go with Y if I need to pay the current price for S.
Buy the S. At the 79k price there isn't a better value in the Tesla lineup. I loved my Y but the S is SOOOO much better it isn't even in the same league. You get a huge trunk, better seats (and cooled), nice interior by far, homelink standard, larger screen and the list goes on.

Reactions: jebinc