Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Opinions reqested from those who own a vibrating refresh.

So I have a refresh MSLR on order and currently own a problem free 2017 MS100D. Knowing what you know now, if you already owned a problem free 2017 MS100D would you still consider upgrading to a refresh and live with this vibration or would you keep your MS100D and wait for Tesla to sort it out?

How bad is it actually? Have any experienced the shimmy in the previous MS and if so is it comparable in annoyance? I looked for YouTube videos showing it but didn’t find any.

FYI I spent 1.5 years trying to get Tesla to fix the front end acceleration shimmy on my 2017 MS. They pretended was “normal” then finally admitted the problem and fixed it with the updated parts and service bulletin once parts became available. I’m not too keen on repeating the experience of multiple trips to the SC because it’s 2 hours away from my city. I’m leaning towards delaying delivery until Tesla gets this sorted out but I do want the longer range of the MS refresh but thought I’d like to hear opinions of those who are currently living with this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc

So I have a refresh MSLR on order and currently own a problem free 2017 MS100D. Knowing what you know now, if you already owned a problem free 2017 MS100D would you still consider upgrading to a refresh and live with this vibration or would you keep your MS100D and wait for Tesla to sort it out?

How bad is it actually? Have any experienced the shimmy in the previous MS and if so is it comparable in annoyance? I looked for YouTube videos showing it but didn’t find any.

FYI I spent 1.5 years trying to get Tesla to fix the front end acceleration shimmy on my 2017 MS. They pretended was “normal” then finally admitted the problem and fixed it with the updated parts and service bulletin once parts became available. I’m not too keen on repeating the experience of multiple trips to the SC because it’s 2 hours away from my city. I’m leaning towards delaying delivery until Tesla gets this sorted out but I do want the longer range of the MS refresh but thought I’d like to hear opinions of those who are currently living with this issue.
I'd wait. It sucks. I've had five service visits so far to fix delivery problems and I'm no where near done. I bought too early.

Here's a answer...I have an MS on order but would love to buy your car instead ...

Reactions: SnowFlyer
I had it on my 2029 MX and it was practically non existent on low and chill. Not thrilled with that but it drove perfect under normal use. No lowering links. 26K miles original shafts. But when I noticed the inside of all 8 tires wearing faster than the outside I was gonna have to fix (with adjustable cam links) or trade it. I traded it. If I put it in sport or raised it to medium it vibrated unacceptably.

So far 1300 miles on MSLR and no vibration. I keep it on medium and it always forces it to low above 55 mph. Most miles are highway. I’m hoping that mix won’t wear tires disproportionately on the inside. Also keeping it on a chill. I put it in sport mode once to show friends and didn’t push it from 0. They were a bit disappointed. ;)

I’d rather a “normal” peppy car that doesn’t vibrate or wear tires out. Than a screaming machine that vibrates.

I also need every bit of clearance I can get, so no way I’m lowering it.

I had it on my 2029 MX and it was practically non existent on low and chill. Not thrilled with that but it drove perfect under normal use. No lowering links. 26K miles original shafts. But when I noticed the inside of all 8 tires wearing faster than the outside I was gonna have to fix (with adjustable cam links) or trade it. I traded it. If I put it in sport or raised it to medium it vibrated unacceptably.

So far 1300 miles on MSLR and no vibration. I keep it on medium and it always forces it to low above 55 mph. Most miles are highway. I’m hoping that mix won’t wear tires disproportionately on the inside. Also keeping it on a chill. I put it in sport mode once to show friends and didn’t push it from 0. They were a bit disappointed. ;)

I’d rather a “normal” peppy car that doesn’t vibrate or wear tires out. Than a screaming machine that vibrates.

I also need every bit of clearance I can get, so no way I’m lowering it.

Very interesting point. You can always rent a screaming machine that vibrates on Turo, when the need arises. But for a daily driver, perhaps a refresh zero is the ticket.

I just picked up my March 2022 Plaid. And it has the OP described vibration. It even vibrates at lower speeds under heavy load/acceleration. The car is in service as of Friday (Today is Wednesday) for this issue. I did not know about this thread and didn't search this issue until just now. The tech at the SC said he wasn't aware of the issue but "it sounded like the older Model X drive shaft issue."

To me the vibration clearly comes from the front drivers side drivetrain area.

PS: I miss my PM3
UPDATE:

My car was already in service by the time I found this thread. After receiving the car back, I have confirmed my vibration is only during the 35-48 MPH range and will do it anytime even not under hard acceleration. I had only had about 100 miles on the car when I first posted and was not accurately understanding when the vibration was actually happening.

The service center initially acted like they never heard of this issue. They verified with me in the car test drive the car does have a vibration. They concluded this was "normal" based on another car in service having the same issue.

I’m done with it. Traded my 2020 model S raven for a model Y performance. Got a good deal. So far so good.
I had a Model 3 Performance since 2019 and loved that car. No vibrations or anything close to this. Also, it's not really that much slower in real world use. The Model 3 was better on the track too. I couldn't get good speed on the straight in the Model S because it would cook the brakes trying to slow from 120 - 25mph. If they don't have a fix for this, I am likely going back to a Model 3.

Reactions: jebinc and Jelger
I had a Model 3 Performance since 2019 and loved that car. No vibrations or anything close to this. Also, it's not really that much slower in real world use. The Model 3 was better on the track too. I couldn't get good speed on the straight in the Model S because it would cook the brakes trying to slow from 120 - 25mph. If they don't have a fix for this, I am likely going back to a Model 3.
And a 2022 M3 is much improved over a 2019! I went from a. 2019 (June) to a 2022 MYP.

UPDATE:

My car was already in service by the time I found this thread. After receiving the car back, I have confirmed my vibration is only during the 35-48 MPH range and will do it anytime even not under hard acceleration. I had only had about 100 miles on the car when I first posted and was not accurately understanding when the vibration was actually happening.

The service center initially acted like they never heard of this issue. They verified with me in the car test drive the car does have a vibration. They concluded this was "normal" based on another car in service having the same issue.
This kind of SvC behavior is why I'm going to opt out of Arbitration as soon as I get my new MVPA.

Reactions: Phlier
@lbowroom Yes; been busy building a tiny guest cottage out back. These are a few days old. Make good progress since.

Thanks for checking in!

View attachment 799332View attachment 799333View attachment 799334View attachment 799335View attachment 799336
Very cool Jeb! Need an honest opinion, if you were me and have not received my MSLR yet, would you still get it knowing about the vibration issue? I have the M3LR was thinking of maybe just going M3P. Also do you still havethe 19" tires? If you bought again would you get the 21's? Thanks for any opinions!!

I just picked up my March 2022 Plaid. And it has the OP described vibration. It even vibrates at lower speeds under heavy load/acceleration. The car is in service as of Friday (Today is Wednesday) for this issue. I did not know about this thread and didn't search this issue until just now. The tech at the SC said he wasn't aware of the issue but "it sounded like the older Model X drive shaft issue."

To me the vibration clearly comes from the front drivers side drivetrain area.

PS: I miss my PM3
Isellcisco- If you were me and have not received my MSLR yet, would you still get it knowing about the vibration issue? I have the M3LR was thinking of maybe just going M3P. Would you buy again MS or M3P?

UPDATE:

Yeah, they have no fix for it yet.

Very cool Jeb! Need an honest opinion, if you were me and have not received my MSLR yet, would you still get it knowing about the vibration issue? I have the M3LR was thinking of maybe just going M3P. Also do you still havethe 19" tires? If you bought again would you get the 21's? Thanks for any opinions!!
I would wait longer. A bunch of things have been fixed, but not this one yet. But, some cars don't have the vibration, so you can roll the dice....

I knew about it and still got it. I Considered passing but my X had it so I figured worst is, I’m back where I was on that. But no vibration yet. About 50% claim they don’t have it. I have babied it though. Not sure if that made a difference. I know of at least one other member that did the same and he claims he has it. I have it “auto low off” but as soon as you get on the highway it lowers to low. Lower you run it the better. Some folks lowered it further to avoid most of it. But it rides a little better on medium. I have it in chill, 0 launches, 19”. 1300 miles. I’m pretty damn happy with it.

Hello, @Dirty Dog! I have 19” Signature SV104s and would never consider 21s! I would stick with your alarm order as LRs are less prone to the vibration issue, based on reports! Life is short - get the car you want!

Isellcisco- If you were me and have not received my MSLR yet, would you still get it knowing about the vibration issue? I have the M3LR was thinking of maybe just going M3P. Would you buy again MS or M3P?
If the MSLR has the same issues, then M3P. I have hovered over the buy button for M3P a few times this week. To me having that smooth floating on a cloud driving experience is a key feature to driving a Tesla. Feeling like a bogged down ice engine between 30-45 mph is ruining that experience. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: jebinc