Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i feel like it happens on regen as well now. i saw sandy munro yesterday at a tesla event in NJ and asked him. his plaid does not have that problem but he said it’s the harmonica caused by 1 or 2 things, his guess. something out of balance or a suspension issue, i think he said.

19” stock wheels. happens more often at 250@ miles now than originally and a little stronger than originally.

MF440
Interesting. I'd be willing to chip in something for Sandy to take a look at this and solve it once and for all (if he's interested), since Tesla seem unable/unwilling to do so themselves.

Reactions: GroovaEV and jebinc
@yerEVan Yes, that has been my experience as well. Some on regen, getting more pronounced, and occurs outside of the 40’s range now.

Drove two other Plaids today, and both have it to some degree. Re suspension and tires being the root cause - My shop force balanced my 19s, swapped the 19s out for 21s, retorqued all suspension components, and performed a four wheel alignment. And that was all after half shaft replacement! None of this did anything to improve the issue. In fact, it’s worse now than ever!

@GroovaEV @WilliamG
I wonder if it might be that the recommended alignment specs for this car are wrong.

Mine car doesn't even have 1000 miles on it yet and it's done it since the first few days of owning it. Gotten a little more pronounced over time too.
@M4H4X Yes, some report the issue from the moment they drive their car off the lot, others not until get get some mileage on the car. Then there are some, like me and @wiliamg whose cars seems to get worse with time. I still have less than 3000 miles and am pursuing a Tesla buyback. This is why I need your flaps, sooner than later, for the replacement - should my case/request be approved.! I have other issues as well. All totaled, I feel the case is compelling.

@GroovaEV

Reactions: Laddcruzer
I have a Plaid, NF460XXX, and have not had this issue. But, then again, I only have 300 miles on it. If Sandy Munro thinks it is a mechanical problem, I don't see how a software update could fix it.

jebinc, does your problem occur only while going in a straight line, or does it also happen while in a turn? Just for fun, try duplicating the problem with a turn signal on. Might be related to something in the "Lane Departure" even if it is turned off.

I have a Plaid, NF460XXX, and have not had this issue. But, then again, I only have 300 miles on it. If Sandy Munro thinks it is a mechanical problem, I don't see how a software update could fix it.

jebinc, does your problem occur only while going in a straight line, or does it also happen while in a turn? Just for fun, try duplicating the problem with a turn signal on. Might be related to something in the "Lane Departure" even if it is turned off.
Will try! I notice it mostly when traveling in a straight line. Don’t think it has anything to do with lane departure logic.
@WilliamG

Just wanted to add a few cents into this thread.

I spoke to a few friends of mine who are in the car industry for many years and I was doing flash tuning for all my previous ICE cars with them. After explaining this issue they told me this is probably related to firmware especially to power output that engines are producing and they told me most likely tesla will need to correct torque delivery which probably will resolve the issue. Shortly to say seems like this is not a mechanical issue.

Another thing. I was playing with the car for a few weeks and noticed a few things.
1. Most noticeable vibrations are occurring when the battery is not "prepared" and regen is not fully available. Ex: After overnight parking without battery preparation.

photo5046570445654043003.jpg

2. I can't see/feel any vibrations if the battery is "hot" and there are no dots on the graph that indicates regen power.
Those conditions are confirmed by myself after 2 weeks of testings.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Just wanted to add a few cents into this thread.

I spoke to a few friends of mine who are in the car industry for many years and I was doing flash tuning for all my previous ICE cars with them. After explaining this issue they told me this is probably related to firmware especially to power output that engines are producing and they told me most likely tesla will need to correct torque delivery which probably will resolve the issue. Shortly to say seems like this is not a mechanical issue.

Another thing. I was playing with the car for a few weeks and noticed a few things.
1. Most noticeable vibrations are occurring when the battery is not "prepared" and regen is not fully available. Ex: After overnight parking without battery preparation.

View attachment 747183
2. I can't see/feel any vibrations if the battery is "hot" and there are no dots on the graph that indicates regen power.
Those conditions are confirmed by myself after 2 weeks of testings.
Conversely, for me it makes no difference if the car is warm or cold from the garage - it will vibrate.

Reactions: jebinc
My vibrations has been less obvious and less frequent the past few days. It’s still there, but not all the time, and not as strong. Got the latest firmware that had bug fixes, not sure if it’s related. Never thought about it until someone above just mentioned it

I was supposed to add more info to option 2 :)) If my car is "prepared" after overnight parking it is still vibrating. But if I'll drive it, all dots are gone, no vibrations.

Alas, not the same for me. Vibrates no matter what, though sometimes it doesn't, of course. I wish I could figure out what causes it to occasionally not vibrate. I'll say 99% of the time it vibrates. Actually, 1% of the time it vibrates. 99% of the time it's in service, like... now, for example.

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne and jebinc