Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alas, not the same for me. Vibrates no matter what, though sometimes it doesn't, of course. I wish I could figure out what causes it to occasionally not vibrate. I'll say 99% of the time it vibrates. Actually, 1% of the time it vibrates. 99% of the time it's in service, like... now, for example.
Maybe time to open lemon? I bet you have spent more than 30 days in the service already. Even I did but I was there only twice :D Actually 3 times, but 1st visit was on my drive from MD to WA and I stopped by at one SC, walked in, and asked them if they can take a look at the airbag error, which they kindly did and gave me the car back in 40 minutes.

Maybe time to open lemon? I bet you have spent more than 30 days in the service already. Even I did but I was there only twice :D Actually 3 times, but 1st visit was on my drive from MD to WA and I stopped by at one SC, walked in, and asked them if they can take a look at the airbag error, which they kindly did and gave me the car back in 40 minutes.
Not quite how that works, alas. Getting a car lemon'ed is a lot more work than you'd imagine, and it has to meet certain criteria which my car does not meet (yet).

Just wanted to add a few cents into this thread.

I spoke to a few friends of mine who are in the car industry for many years and I was doing flash tuning for all my previous ICE cars with them. After explaining this issue they told me this is probably related to firmware especially to power output that engines are producing and they told me most likely tesla will need to correct torque delivery which probably will resolve the issue. Shortly to say seems like this is not a mechanical issue.

Another thing. I was playing with the car for a few weeks and noticed a few things.
1. Most noticeable vibrations are occurring when the battery is not "prepared" and regen is not fully available. Ex: After overnight parking without battery preparation.

View attachment 747183
2. I can't see/feel any vibrations if the battery is "hot" and there are no dots on the graph that indicates regen power.
Those conditions are confirmed by myself after 2 weeks of testings.
This is a good point. I just starting noticing it only when the battery is cold. When the battery warms up, I don't notice it.

Reactions: Mandarin and jebinc
Just wanted to add a few cents into this thread.

I spoke to a few friends of mine who are in the car industry for many years and I was doing flash tuning for all my previous ICE cars with them. After explaining this issue they told me this is probably related to firmware especially to power output that engines are producing and they told me most likely tesla will need to correct torque delivery which probably will resolve the issue. Shortly to say seems like this is not a mechanical issue.

Another thing. I was playing with the car for a few weeks and noticed a few things.
1. Most noticeable vibrations are occurring when the battery is not "prepared" and regen is not fully available. Ex: After overnight parking without battery preparation.

View attachment 747183
2. I can't see/feel any vibrations if the battery is "hot" and there are no dots on the graph that indicates regen power.
Those conditions are confirmed by myself after 2 weeks of testings.

I'm not too sure about that. Mine didn't occur until after about 800 miles. I really tried feeling for it after delivery, but couldn't feel it. It took about 800 miles for something to wear in and start the vibration. I've also experienced it in both warm and cold weather, independent of the temp of the battery.

Also, others have reported that after replacing all four drive shafts the problem goes away, at least for another 1000 miles or so.

I'm not too sure about that. Mine didn't occur until after about 800 miles. I really tried feeling for it after delivery, but couldn't feel it. It took about 800 miles for something to wear in and start the vibration. I've also experienced it in both warm and cold weather, independent of the temp of the battery.

Also, others have reported that after replacing all four drive shafts the problem goes away, at least for another 1000 miles or so.
I’m not sure either, as I did the same. I even took a 150 mile drive and SuC along the way. Prior to arrival, after 140 miles and SuC, the vibration was there - same as always.

@WilliamG

100 miles on my plaid, delivered today. It has the vibration around 45mph.
ME too. Only had 375 mi on MS LR before I noticed the suttter/vibration from38-45MPH. Hot or cold battery seems not to matter.
@jebinc Now, I see why this is a pet peev of yours. V annoying even in my lesser (non-peacock MS LR). It was not there/noticable before now, but maybe i was just basking in the glow of ownership aft waiting 11 mos to get the thing! It's unaccecptable to spend this kind of $$ and not have it be perfect!
I do curr have car in SC to fix panel gaps and door trim issues, and I mentioned this to them as well. The SA just nodded her pretty lil head and hopefully noted it down to fix/alert upper mgmt of issue.
VIN: NF459xx BD: End Nov. Yes, I voted in your poll.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
ME too. Only had 375 mi on MS LR before I noticed the suttter/vibration from38-45MPH. Hot or cold battery seems not to matter.
@jebinc Now, I see why this is a pet peev of yours. V annoying even in my lesser (non-peacock MS LR). It was not there/noticable before now, but maybe i was just basking in the glow of ownership aft waiting 11 mos to get the thing! It's unaccecptable to spend this kind of $$ and not have it be perfect!
I do curr have car in SC to fix panel gaps and door trim issues, and I mentioned this to them as well. The SA just nodded her pretty lil head and hopefully noted it down to fix/alert upper mgmt of issue.
VIN: NF459xx BD: End Nov. Yes, I voted in your poll.
@neadams99 Thanks for the update. Yes, indeed very annoying. And, yes - hot or cold doesn’t matter, as I tested that extensively the past couple of months. Lastly, I believe all cars have it, or will develop it early in life.

@Mandarin @WilliamG

Reactions: WilliamG
Still waiting for my S LR. I am reading of some commonalities to this vibration issue and I have some questions. I am reading that this vibration is noticeable after some miles are put on versus when new. I also have seen a picture of a tire that looked shredded in one spot of it's circumference! One can deduce that when new, this vibration problem is hidden or covered by the new, concentric tires that later take on a wear pattern induced by the vibration, thereby creating a more noticeable condition.
Another issue reported is that this vibration is worse under acceleration.
This leads to questions;
Factory alignment settings. Dynamic alignment change under power, (camber and toe change).
Is this vibration consistent on wet and dry roads? Snow?
Does it disappear, or just change, or is no different?
Under power in wet and dry conditions, any change noticed?
Vibration changes because of a "lubricated" road means the is an inherent scrub condition that is lessened or eliminated..
I have more questions but....
Got to go... OVER THE RIVER AND THROUGH THE WOODS!
Merry HO HO!!

Reactions: jebinc
Still waiting for my S LR. I am reading of some commonalities to this vibration issue and I have some questions. I am reading that this vibration is noticeable after some miles are put on versus when new. I also have seen a picture of a tire that looked shredded in one spot of it's circumference! One can deduce that when new, this vibration problem is hidden or covered by the new, concentric tires that later take on a wear pattern induced by the vibration, thereby creating a more noticeable condition.
Another issue reported is that this vibration is worse under acceleration.
This leads to questions;
Factory alignment settings. Dynamic alignment change under power, (camber and toe change).
Is this vibration consistent on wet and dry roads? Snow?
Does it disappear, or just change, or is no different?
Under power in wet and dry conditions, any change noticed?
Vibration changes because of a "lubricated" road means the is an inherent scrub condition that is lessened or eliminated..
I have more questions but....
Got to go... OVER THE RIVER AND THROUGH THE WOODS!
Merry HO HO!!
Maybe? But, the vibration goes away if you press the accelerator down a bit farther or release it. It's a very specific spot in the pedal.

Reactions: jebinc