Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
here is what they did. formatting is jacked up on the parts list but you’ll get the gist.

Concern: Noise & vibration - other - customer states: I believe there is a new TSB for shudder on acceleration. SB-21-39-001
Performed sib. Replaced front halfshafts and inspected clevis mount. Replaced seal. Tested vehicle and found ok.
Correction: Inspect Vehicle, Replace Front Halfshafts, Clevis, and Axle Seal (Small Drive Unit)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
BOLT HF M6X25 4.00
PC88(2007206) NUT HF M10x1.25 PC10 2.00
PTP COLORED(2007090-00-C) HALFSHAFT 1.00
ASSEMBLY, FRONT,
SMALL DRIVE UNIT,
LEFT HAND
SIDE(1553109-00-B)
OUTPUT AXLE SEAL, 1.00
3DU, 40 X 67(1108557-00-A)
HALF SHAFT - FRONT 1.00
RIGHT(1027115-00-D) WASHER SAFETY 2.00
M24x39(1020296-00-B) NUT HF M10x1.50 [10] 2.00
ZnAl-W(1004351-00-A)

Here's the details from my shudder that was fixed today on my LR at Mt Kisco.

Concern: Customer states: Other - My drivetrain is making a worrying rattle under hard acceleration. Please review video.
. Upon test drive and review, technicians believe the front halfshafts need to be replaced.
Verified customer concern. Replaced LH Front Half shaft Assembly & Replaced RH Front Half shaft Assembly due to wear - Performed Validation Test Drive. Verified Proper Operation. mobileAppActivityDetails
1 of 3

Service Center hourly rate: USD 200
All parts are new unless otherwise specified.

Total Parts (USD) 0.00 Total Labor (USD) 0.00
Discount 0.00
Subtotal (USD) 0.00
Tax 0.00
Total Amount (USD) 0.00
Total Paid (USD) 0.00
Payment Due (USD) 0.00
Tesla disclaims all express or implied warranties with respect to any repairs or products used in repairs, except as may be set forth in your Tesla-issued New or Used Vehicle Limited Warranty, Tesla Parts, Body, and Paint Repair Limited Warranty or other extended service
symptomKey: otherNoiseOrVibration activityType: COMMON
Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - LH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
NUT,HF,M24x1.50, 2.00 [STL],G1009(1532923-
00-A)
HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR, 1.00 RH(1420119-00-B)
HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR, 1.00 LH(1420113-00-B)
Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - RH (Remove & Replace) Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive
Correction: General Diagnosis

Here's the details from my shudder that was fixed today on my LR at Mt Kisco.

Concern: Customer states: Other - My drivetrain is making a worrying rattle under hard acceleration. Please review video.
. Upon test drive and review, technicians believe the front halfshafts need to be replaced.
Verified customer concern. Replaced LH Front Half shaft Assembly & Replaced RH Front Half shaft Assembly due to wear - Performed Validation Test Drive. Verified Proper Operation. mobileAppActivityDetails
1 of 3

Service Center hourly rate: USD 200
All parts are new unless otherwise specified.

Total Parts (USD) 0.00 Total Labor (USD) 0.00
Discount 0.00
Subtotal (USD) 0.00
Tax 0.00
Total Amount (USD) 0.00
Total Paid (USD) 0.00
Payment Due (USD) 0.00
Tesla disclaims all express or implied warranties with respect to any repairs or products used in repairs, except as may be set forth in your Tesla-issued New or Used Vehicle Limited Warranty, Tesla Parts, Body, and Paint Repair Limited Warranty or other extended service
symptomKey: otherNoiseOrVibration activityType: COMMON
Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - LH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
NUT,HF,M24x1.50, 2.00 [STL],G1009(1532923-
00-A)
HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR, 1.00 RH(1420119-00-B)
HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR, 1.00 LH(1420113-00-B)
Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - RH (Remove & Replace) Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive
Correction: General Diagnosis

It will be back, if it isn’t already. My half shaft fix lasted a total of four days.

• Informative
Reactions: scrapps
Thanks to yerEVan!
Just read an old service bulletin for 2014 to 2019 MX and MS complaints of vibration on acceleration. It appears the driveshaft replacements are not the source of the vibration, they are the consequence of a motor mount clevis allowing the power source (motor/final drive output), to move side to side. This allows the drive shaft to no longer turn on center uncontrollably, inducing vibration, placing orbital stress on the universal joints of the shafts Again, this is for earlier models. But, if it is still an issue with the refresh models after drive shaft replacement, the fix was not complete!
Any shaft that transmits power must be mounted firmly enough at both ends to prevent shaft rotation in an orbital fashion, while trying to rotate concentrically at the same time. This is bad for the universal joints and is why the shafts are replaced. Tesla knows of this as they wrote the service bulletin....

SB-19-39-001 Revision 2.
Replace LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount and Both Front Halfshafts

Condition.
Older versions of the Model S and Model X LH front drive unit clevis mount contain a bushing that allows the front drive unit to move side-to-side more than expected during hard accelerations, resulting in excessive vibrations coming from the front drive unit during hard acceleration. This is exclusively an NVH issue and does not otherwise affect steering functionality, braking, or acceleration.
Correction.
An updated LH front drive unit clevis mount with an improved bushing is available which mitigates the condition. Upon customer complaint, inspect the vehicle for excessive vibrations coming from the front drive unit during hard acceleration. If the condition is present, update the LH front drive unit clevis mount and replace both front drive unit halfshafts.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Thanks to yerEVan!
Just read an old service bulletin for 2014 to 2019 MX and MS complaints of vibration on acceleration. It appears the driveshaft replacements are not the source of the vibration, they are the consequence of a motor mount clevis allowing the power source (motor/final drive output), to move side to side. This allows the drive shaft to no longer turn on center uncontrollably, inducing vibration, placing orbital stress on the universal joints of the shafts Again, this is for earlier models. But, if it is still an issue with the refresh models after drive shaft replacement, the fix was not complete!
Any shaft that transmits power must be mounted firmly enough at both ends to prevent shaft rotation in an orbital fashion, while trying to rotate concentrically at the same time. This is bad for the universal joints and is why the shafts are replaced. Tesla knows of this as they wrote the service bulletin....

SB-19-39-001 Revision 2.
Replace LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount and Both Front Halfshafts

Condition.
Older versions of the Model S and Model X LH front drive unit clevis mount contain a bushing that allows the front drive unit to move side-to-side more than expected during hard accelerations, resulting in excessive vibrations coming from the front drive unit during hard acceleration. This is exclusively an NVH issue and does not otherwise affect steering functionality, braking, or acceleration.
Correction.
An updated LH front drive unit clevis mount with an improved bushing is available which mitigates the condition. Upon customer complaint, inspect the vehicle for excessive vibrations coming from the front drive unit during hard acceleration. If the condition is present, update the LH front drive unit clevis mount and replace both front drive unit halfshafts.
This pre-refresh model vibration issue manifest itself under hard acceleration; and this old solution is for that. What we all have is a different symptom - requiring a different, not yet available, fix.

Be sure to write and call your congress-person! 🤪

@WilliamG

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
This pre-refresh model vibration issue manifest itself under hard acceleration; and this old solution is for that. What we all have is a different symptom - requiring a different, not yet available, fix.

Be sure to write and call your congress-person! 🤪

@WilliamG
Yeah, this one is strange. The old one was under hard acceleration, which makes sense, the drivetrain was under the most stress. This vibration only seems to occur under light acceleration. That leads me to think it's more of an unwanted resonance. But, why only after 1,000 miles? And why does replacing the half shafts make it go away? I guess there's enough play in the half shafts after they wear in a bit to allow the resonance to start. Fresh half-shafts might have tighter bushings / bearings that prevent small oscillations.

Actually, remembering now the Munro teardown of the front drive unit, I did think it was odd that the steering rack was hard mounted to the chassis. I'm not sure if that was always the case. That might couple more vibrations into the yoke.

Anyway, something changed in the dynamics of the front drive unit, but they re-used the old Model X drive shafts and didn't account for the updated drivetrain components in the refresh S.

Reactions: jebinc
Yeah, this one is strange. The old one was under hard acceleration, which makes sense, the drivetrain was under the most stress. This vibration only seems to occur under light acceleration. That leads me to think it's more of an unwanted resonance. But, why only after 1,000 miles? And why does replacing the half shafts make it go away? I guess there's enough play in the half shafts after they wear in a bit to allow the resonance to start. Fresh half-shafts might have tighter bushings / bearings that prevent small oscillations.

Actually, remembering now the Munro teardown of the front drive unit, I did think it was odd that the steering rack was hard mounted to the chassis. I'm not sure if that was always the case. That might couple more vibrations into the yoke.

Anyway, something changed in the dynamics of the front drive unit, but they re-used the old Model X drive shafts and didn't account for the updated drivetrain components in the refresh S.
Interesting. What I am reading is that even with the replacement of the shafts the problem comes back eventually. So, you are saying this vibration is felt through the yoke and not through the floor / dash?

I will be receiving my LR at the end of March and have been lurking all over to learn of the issues. Mechanics and interfacing with many types of machinery have been my life. The vibration issues with this or any car are fascinating, especially with the engineered differences between the refresh S and the earlier model's suspension and motor mounting differences. The motor mounting method of the earlier model S evidently allowed an oscillation to present itself because of a defective clevis mount. As I have said before, any power transmission using a shaft must have a fixed output and input ends that constrain any movement other than the concentric rotation of the shaft. Tesla figured that the clevis mount initiated the vibration on the earlier models. I would love to see an explode view of the new suspension and motor mounting of the refresh S and have watched the Munro Live videos to see what I can. One question I have is, what is the possibility that a defective inverter could induce a stutter at a certain throttle position that would imitate an out of balance drive shaft? One report of a statement from a Tesla mechanic said the defective shaft was bent, twisted and they were going to be sent back to engineering... Hmmmmm.

I will be receiving my LR at the end of March and have been lurking all over to learn of the issues. Mechanics and interfacing with many types of machinery have been my life. The vibration issues with this or any car are fascinating, especially with the engineered differences between the refresh S and the earlier model's suspension and motor mounting differences. The motor mounting method of the earlier model S evidently allowed an oscillation to present itself because of a defective clevis mount. As I have said before, any power transmission using a shaft must have a fixed output and input ends that constrain any movement other than the concentric rotation of the shaft. Tesla figured that the clevis mount initiated the vibration on the earlier models. I would love to see an explode view of the new suspension and motor mounting of the refresh S and have watched the Munro Live videos to see what I can. One question I have is, what is the possibility that a defective inverter could induce a stutter at a certain throttle position that would imitate an out of balance drive shaft? One report of a statement from a Tesla mechanic said the defective shaft was bent, twisted and they were going to be sent back to engineering... Hmmmmm.

Hear, hear. We really need this issue to get more light, publically. No one with influence seems to want to touch this one - for some reason.

Reactions: Donsla MS

That's an interesting thought. If the shafts bend, it could throw things off.
But, I don't think the peak wheel torque on the plaid is actually any different than the raven. If anything, the wheel torque is slightly lower than the Raven. There's a plot showing the Raven producing more torque below 30 mph than the Plaid.

And no clevis mount replacement, either. Problem not solved by half shaft replacement.
Well, it's temporarily solved by the half shaft replacement. That seems to indicate the problem is the half shaft. OR whatever is loosened and moved during the half shaft replacement. Maybe the drive unit moves somehow and throws off the alignment? Would be interesting to remove the half shafts and reinstall them and see if the vibration temporarily goes away as well.

Reactions: Donsla MS
Less than 2,000 miles. If the vibration returns, then my guess is something before the half shaft is bending it over time. New half shafts fixed my problem, so it is definitely half shaft related in my case, unless they replaced other parts with the shafts that are causing the vibration, and they are just incidental parts not listed on the invoice. If the half shafts weren’t the cause of the vibration, then I don’t see how my problem was fixed with their replacement. There definitely could be something upstream of the half shafts that cause them to distort over time. Will know if the problem returns.

Reactions: n2mb_racing
Less than 2,000 miles. If the vibration returns, then my guess is something before the half shaft is bending it over time. New half shafts fixed my problem, so it is definitely half shaft related in my case, unless they replaced other parts with the shafts that are causing the vibration, and they are just incidental parts not listed on the invoice. If the half shafts weren’t the cause of the vibration, then I don’t see how my problem was fixed with their replacement. There definitely could be something upstream of the half shafts that cause them to distort over time. Will know if the problem returns.

Can you clarify in a little detail what you were experiencing before the half shaft replacement, to ensure we're all on the same page?