Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up brand new LR with refreshed headlights/taillights. Very noticeable shudder and rattle in Low suspension under hard acceleration from a stop and at speed. Glad to hear it can be fixed. At least temporarily.

This car is giving me Model X shudder vibes!
That's actually the opposite of the newest vibration described that is under light load around 40mph. This vibration goes away under hard load and disappears when lowered. Afraid some people are not understanding that a car that does the 1/4" in the 9 second range does all kinds of thrashing around under full throttle.

That's actually the opposite of the newest vibration described that is under light load around 40mph. This vibration goes away under hard load and disappears when lowered. Afraid some people are not understanding that a car that does the 1/4" in the 9 second range does all kinds of thrashing around under full throttle.
Actually, my Plaid vibration at slight throttle at 40mph did not resolve at all with suspension set to low. It did resolve in Track Mode with power set to the rear, as @jebinc discovered.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Mine is pretty smooth under full throttle. It vibrates under light throttle.

Reactions: jebinc

Interesting. Yes, the shudder and rattle is only present under hard or full throttle. I didn’t read this thread fully so that is good to know. Maybe it will go away. It doesn’t make sense that the car has shudder from 9 miles on the odometer. Either it came with defective half shafts or it was not assembled properly.

Interesting. Yes, the shudder and rattle is only present under hard or full throttle. I didn’t read this thread fully so that is good to know. Maybe it will go away. It doesn’t make sense that the car has shudder from 9 miles on the odometer. Either it came with defective half shafts or it was not assembled properly.
Yeah, schedule a service appointment. That shudder is fixable. The shudder we have under light acceleration is not fixable

Update on my issue. The rattle has gone away and shudder has reduced, but now it seems to be present with slight throttle at speed 30-50mph (as described by OP). Car has less than 200 miles, so I may wait on this issue.

• Informative
So, EDD in a month for a MS LR with 19"

Read this thread, but still have Questions:

Is the vibration worse in chill mode?

Any better in low and track mode?
Vibration is same in chill mode. Same with the suspension in low or medium. If you lower the car by 0.75" or so with lowering links and put it in low, it mostly goes away, but then you wear the inside of your tires.

Track mode with the torque to the rear eliminates it, but you can't drive all the time in track mode....

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne and jebinc
I just had my Plaid into the Miami SC today for something else and asked them about the vibration issue around 40 mph. They said Tesla is aware of it, working on it, but have not found a fix yet.
Stopped by the Fort Lauderdale SC today, and they said the same thing. I expected that; but since I'm getting ready to move to a place where the SC is two hours away instead of ten minutes, I thought I would ask.

The vibration on my car is pretty bad. It would be bad on an ICE car.

Stopped by the Fort Lauderdale SC today, and they said the same thing. I expected that; but since I'm getting ready to move to a place where the SC is two hours away instead of ten minutes, I thought I would ask.

The vibration on my car is pretty bad. It would be bad on an ICE car.
Yup, really bites that Tesla calls this normal and that all SCs have been equipped with the same BS line that they are working on it, but no fix ECD in sight. With the last generation “shutter” issue, they “worked on it” and called that normal for seven years - and never really fixed that issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: auger
Yup, really bites that Tesla calls this normal and that all SCs have been equipped with the same BS line that they are working on it, but no fix ECD in sight. With the last generation “shutter” issue, they “worked on it” and called that normal for seven years - and never really fixed that issue.

I don't know if they are still calling this normal. I think they've recognized that it is vibrating and shouldn't be. But, they don't know how to fix it.

I would be fine if they just shifted the torque to the rear motors under light load. That would be an easy software fix and would solve it until they can come up with a permanent fix.

Reactions: bhzmark
I don't know if they are still calling this normal. I think they've recognized that it is vibrating and shouldn't be. But, they don't know how to fix it.

I would be fine if they just shifted the torque to the rear motors under light load. That would be an easy software fix and would solve it until they can come up with a permanent fix.
The thing is it’s not just under light load. It’s just you notice it the most under light load. If I more aggressively accelerated through the 38-50mph or thereabouts, I also noticed it, but it’s more fleeting since it’s over more quickly. At full throttle I didn’t feel it since all hell is breaking loose anyway.

i feel like it happens on regen as well now. i saw sandy munro yesterday at a tesla event in NJ and asked him. his plaid does not have that problem but he said it’s the harmonica caused by 1 or 2 things, his guess. something out of balance or a suspension issue, i think he said.

19” stock wheels. happens more often at 250@ miles now than originally and a little stronger than originally.

MF440
I just purchased my 2022 S Plaid and have the same vibration that starts at 30 to 50 mph every morning and lasts 2-3 miles. Can hear roaring sound and dashboard shakes as well as console. If it was a mechanical issue failure it wouldn’t go away. It’s too violent to be a tire issue since frequency is to high. 280 miles on vehicle and hasn’t gotten worse

Maybe they do, and that’s the problem. ;)

On Model 3, under light load, it only used rear motor. Partly because it was more efficient. On Raven S/X on light light it used the more efficient front motor.

On Refresh LR or Plaid who knows what they do. But if they do switch to one motor maybe that’s when it happens.

With plaid it would make sense to switch to the front single motor on light load. But if it went to the rear they would have to run both motors and that might use a lot more wants and possibly kill rating.