Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the wider tires explain it. The older S had narrow tires for its weight and the smaller patch resulting in higher pressure ate through tires much faster than now.

interesting...
Suspension geometry could have changed too. I could imagine they could have revised the design to maintain camber angles over a wider range of travel, perhaps.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
b.t.w. I had my half shafts replaced again on 5/12. Vibration was gone. A week later it's back. It kind of slowly re-emerged. It's a bit different right now in that it has a propensity to vibrate, but the vibration is not so sustained. Like an underdamped system. But, it's slowly getting more sustained. This is back at normal "low" ride height.

No launches or even hard accelerations after the new half shafts were installed. So, it's not wear or damage to the shafts.

I asked the service center if they had new half shaft parts or a new service procedure and they said no. I have no idea why they bothered to do it again.

b.t.w. I had my half shafts replaced again on 5/12. Vibration was gone. A week later it's back. It kind of slowly re-emerged. It's a bit different right now in that it has a propensity to vibrate, but the vibration is not so sustained. Like an underdamped system. But, it's slowly getting more sustained. This is back at normal "low" ride height.

No launches or even hard accelerations after the new half shafts were installed. So, it's not wear or damage to the shafts.

I asked the service center if they had new half shaft parts or a new service procedure and they said no. I have no idea why they bothered to do it again.
The only thing i can think of is that there is another misalignment maybe with how the motor is positioned or something.

signature sv502 21 x 10.5 all around. Staggered offset. 295/30-21

Switching from the OEM 21" to 285/35r20 square helped lower the vibration. Going back to the 21" brought some back. When the SC aired to 46 it was more pronounced, Lowered to 41 and it has softened the vibration feel.

Also kept at low ride all the time (accept for speed bumps and auto raise on rough roads). Only launched twice in 36k miles.

Still onset at 35mph and cuts off sharply at 46mph.

My Plaid order (RHD in the UK) is probably not even a gleam in Musk's eye so I comment without experience. But one of the reasons why electric motors back in Nikola's day never became widely used was this "torque ripple" effect with squirrel cage motors where torque varies as the motor shaft rotates due to reluctance. These days it is corrected by the electronics. May fit the description where many feel it changing with mild acceleration and within a range of rpm it. Hopefully Tesla can iron out the new DUs before they start building my car (a few years down the road...).

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
My Plaid order (RHD in the UK) is probably not even a gleam in Musk's eye so I comment without experience. But one of the reasons why electric motors back in Nikola's day never became widely used was this "torque ripple" effect with squirrel cage motors where torque varies as the motor shaft rotates due to reluctance. These days it is corrected by the electronics. May fit the description where many feel it changing with mild acceleration and within a range of rpm it. Hopefully Tesla can iron out the new DUs before they start building my car (a few years down the road...).
It could be, though it is odd that it happens from the front drive unit and the not the rear, given how similar they are. Also maybe unlikely since the three motors in the plaid are basically the same as the rear motor in the Model Y. Although, the carbon sleeve would have changed the motor control slightly.

Also, strange that replacing the half shafts eliminates the vibration, but it comes back after a week.

I believe it has to do with the half shaft angle being too extreme, since lowering the car by 0.75" eliminates the vibration. Although, I have no idea why they wouldn't have addressed that when they redesigned all the drive unit components. They could have fixed the half shaft angle.

Anyway, arm chair engineering here....

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and aerodyne
Screenshot_1.png