Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new car is now vibrating at 40mph+ - same as my 2021 - along with the new vibration 2022s experience at around 32mph for the first few minutes of a drive. Really not thrilled.
Sorry to hear that. I don't have it yet, but drive it home on low and in chill mode, only 62 miles total. I guess I better stay below 40 until I sell.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG
I was thinking about upgrading my MS18 but now I'm not so sure. The car is probably terrific but with issues like this - ain't got time for driving back-n-forth to TSCs.
There are many like me who don’t have a single issue :)

Other than the panel gaps ie which I am sure you’re familiar with on your 2018 :)

I pulled up to a Honda Civic at a street light yesterday and was instantly mesmerized by its tight panel tolerances… something I will never have!

Last edited:
Reactions: brooklyn
Everyone complaining about vibration, please get your tires forced balanced.

Here’s my story
1. My driver side front tire was out of round - got it Unmounted, tire and wheel tested independently and remounted properly again to the passenger side. Still a bit out of round but it’s not bothering me
2. 2 other wheels were waay off balance. Got them all unmounted and remounted again.

Whoever does wheel balancing at the factory just sticks some balancing weights at the end opposite to the wheel stem hole by default without checking anything

Last edited:

Here’s my story
1. My driver side front tire was out of round - got it Unmounted, tire and wheel tested independently and remounted properly again to the passenger side. Still a bit out of round but it’s not bothering me
2. 2 other wheels were waay off balance. Got them all unmounted and remounted again.

Whoever does wheel balancing at the factory just sticks some balancing weights at the end opposite to the wheel stem hole by default without checking anything
One thing I found odd on mine (no vibration) was the tire mounting. The tires have a red dot, which I thought was supposed to be positioned at the valve stem when mounted. None of mine were even close. I imagine balancing would supposedly take care of it, but your post has me thinking otherwise.

One thing I found odd on mine (no vibration) was the tire mounting. The tires have a red dot, which I thought was supposed to be positioned at the valve stem when mounted. None of mine were even close. I imagine balancing would supposedly take care of it, but your post has me thinking otherwise.
The red dot on the tire indicates it’s high point. The corresponding low point on the wheel should usually be the valve stem, but the weight of the valve stem and all that TPMS circuitry can make the low point on the wheel elsewhere.

Yeah that red dot is not for valve stem location. Neither my 3 nor my S had those aligned.

Yeah that red dot is not for valve stem location. Neither my 3 nor my S had those aligned.
It is a starting point for where to line things up to in theory to be closely balanced and require less added weights. But if you are going to "road force" balance the tires, which I believe Tesla does, the machine measures the tire and wheel and then tells you where to rotate the tire on the wheel for the best balance with the minimum of weights.

There are many like me who don’t have a single issue :)

Other than the panel gaps ie which I am sure you’re familiar with on your 2018 :)

I pulled up to a Honda Civic at a street light yesterday and was instantly mesmerized by its tight panel tolerances… something I will never have!
Surprisingly enough, mine's 18/6 and looks like it was made by Germans. perfect gaps, no loose trim, no sand under the paint or anything of that sort. Half-shafts do annoy me though. I'm tempted to get that n2itive thing but can't afford those at the moment considering what's going on here, those will be better spent on some aid.

Here’s my story

It could be, but I suspect my vibration isn't due to the tires. It goes away if I put the car in track mode and bias the torque to the rear, lower the car 0.75" (using lowering links), and it also went away after both half shaft replacements (though only for a week). I assume none of those should affect the tire balancing.

It could be, but I suspect my vibration isn't due to the tires. It goes away if I put the car in track mode and bias the torque to the rear, lower the car 0.75" (using lowering links), and it also went away after both half shaft replacements (though only for a week). I assume none of those should affect the tire balancing.

Yes, - for anyone else reading, it's nothing to do with wheel balancing.

Here’s my story

Nope. Been there, done that. No change. Discount tire provides a good road force balance service, but it will not improve this Tesla “design defect” vibration.

Slightly related question for folks on this thread who had installed the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 **ALL SEASON** tires on their Plaid/LR. Back in 2021, when I had installed them on my Plaid, there was significant humming from the tires above 40mph that added to the whole vibration saga. If anyone else experienced this, did it ever go away with more mileage on those tires or is this still an issue?

I sold my Plaid in fall of 2021 due to several issues, but now expecting to pick up a 2022 model very soon and looking to put those tires back on the car.

Slightly related question for folks on this thread who had installed the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 **ALL SEASON** tires on their Plaid/LR. Back in 2021, when I had installed them on my Plaid, there was significant humming from the tires above 40mph that added to the whole vibration saga. If anyone else experienced this, did it ever go away with more mileage on those tires or is this still an issue?

I sold my Plaid in fall of 2021 due to several issues, but now expecting to pick up a 2022 model very soon and looking to put those tires back on the car.
I had occasional hum on specific tarmac types - not everywhere. It’s not there anymore and it’s been about 4K miles. However when I replace these tires, I’m going full summer tires. The all seasons just are not right for the power the plaid puts out.

I’ll take an Uber on freezing days

• Funny
Reactions: rpan25 and aerodyne

I have a terrible howl on mine between 60-70. I have about 5k miles on them. It's actually gotten worse the past week or two. Presume temps have something to do with it. I complained to Michelin but I was just out of the window where they would replace them. They offered me 30% credit towards new tires. I escalated and managed to get them to 50%. I'm thinking I'm just going to use them till they are worn out, but they are so loud now. I really don't want to risk putting the same tire on. Tempted to try summers, but there's no winter options that fit 20x10.5 and 20x11 l.

• Informative
Reactions: rpan25 and aerodyne