Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
June 2022 delivery of a plaid here -- I haven't gone through all the pages, but at the specified speeds and with the same repro steps, we hear a small popping sound (maybe around 4 / second) coming from the *rear* of the driver's side -- is this the same issue? Or is this something different?

Does anyone have a video/audio clip, or does it manifest differently for different cars / weather conditions / tires / whatever?

June 2022 delivery of a plaid here -- I haven't gone through all the pages, but at the specified speeds and with the same repro steps, we hear a small popping sound (maybe around 4 / second) coming from the *rear* of the driver's side -- is this the same issue? Or is this something different?

Does anyone have a video/audio clip, or does it manifest differently for different cars / weather conditions / tires / whatever?
No

July 2022 Plaid and I get a vibration on gentle acceleration. The vibration manifests itself as a rattle on the driver rear window. It does it somewhere between 10-40 MPH. It does not do it on hard acceleration, braking, regen, or constant speed. It only does it under gentle acceleration. It didn’t start out with the vibration but as of 2k miles I became very aware of it. I have an appointment at the SC for them to check it out but I’m prepared for them to tell me it’s within spec. The fact it only occurs under acceleration tells me it’s not suspension related but rather motor/drivetrain related. We’ll see what happens.

July 2022 Plaid and I get a vibration on gentle acceleration. The vibration manifests itself as a rattle on the driver rear window. It does it somewhere between 10-40 MPH. It does not do it on hard acceleration, braking, regen, or constant speed. It only does it under gentle acceleration. It didn’t start out with the vibration but as of 2k miles I became very aware of it. I have an appointment at the SC for them to check it out but I’m prepared for them to tell me it’s within spec. The fact it only occurs under acceleration tells me it’s not suspension related but rather motor/drivetrain related. We’ll see what happens.
Try track mode and manually set the torque bias to 100% rear. The vibration should go away.

9019D748-6A46-4140-8417-2DD94C1A2A2E.jpeg

My LR has had the vibration issue for sometime now. I would feel it more than half the time I accelerate slowly through 40mph to 48mph - to a point where I am pretty much anticipating it every time as I hit 40mph. But for the past couple of months I now barely noticing it at all. Unfortunately it's still there, but i'd say it happens at a far less frequent rate than before - I'd put it at 1/5 - which is significantly better than before.

I haven't gone to the service center since early July, and my driving habit is largely the same. The only two changes I can think of is 1) software updates (I am on 36.5), 2) temperature finally started to cool down here in central Texas.

Has anyone else has similar experience?

Reactions: n2mb_racing
My LR has had the vibration issue for sometime now. I would feel it more than half the time I accelerate slowly through 40mph to 48mph - to a point where I am pretty much anticipating it every time as I hit 40mph. But for the past couple of months I now barely noticing it at all. Unfortunately it's still there, but i'd say it happens at a far less frequent rate than before - I'd put it at 1/5 - which is significantly better than before.

I haven't gone to the service center since early July, and my driving habit is largely the same. The only two changes I can think of is 1) software updates (I am on 36.5), 2) temperature finally started to cool down here in central Texas.

Has anyone else has similar experience?
You’re not the first to say that the 36 branch has potentially improved it. I’m waiting for that update so can’t comment. The temps have lowered here in Seattle and on 2022.24.5 the vibration is about the same, or maybe a little worse. So who knows… My vibration hits at around 35mph and I can feel it from then onwards, even above 50, though road noise/vibration dulls it for the most part. That 35-50 is still the worst part for me.

You’re not the first to say that the 36 branch has potentially improved it. I’m waiting for that update so can’t comment. The temps have lowered here in Seattle and on 2022.24.5 the vibration is about the same, or maybe a little worse. So who knows… My vibration hits at around 35mph and I can feel it from then onwards, even above 50, though road noise/vibration dulls it for the most part. That 35-50 is still the worst part for me.

Ok, I'm on the edge of my seat. Who has 2022.36.x and can confirm or deny??

Why is this such a difficult problem to solve? It seems all they’d need to do is a software fix that disables the front motor as the car approaches the problem speed range, makes use of the rear motors to compensate while accelerating through the range, and reengage the front motor once past the range. Also monitor how hard the accelerator is being pressed and if say it’s being floored, leave the front motor engaged for maximum acceleration. It doesn’t seem like this should be that hard.

Why is this such a difficult problem to solve? It seems all they’d need to do is a software fix that disables the front motor as the car approaches the problem speed range, makes use of the rear motors to compensate while accelerating through the range, and reengage the front motor once past the range. Also monitor how hard the accelerator is being pressed and if say it’s being floored, leave the front motor engaged for maximum acceleration. It doesn’t seem like this should be that hard.
You got it. Easy problem to solve. Except that I think it would reduce efficiency to rely more on the back motors instead of the smaller front motor, so they have a risk of getting sued over reduced range than the EPA tests.