Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 4 month old model s Plaid and I only have the vibration for the first 2 or 3 minutes at most then it’s smooth at every speed. And that’s when it’s been sitting for a while. i have 4,000 miles on it and it’s been the same since the first time I drove it. As long as it keeps going away, I’m not concerned.

Has anyone posted or seen any videos showing this vibration? I've searched to no avail and haven't had the chance to experience it first hand.

Still trying to decide whether or not to cancel my MS LR order which is at early 2022 pricing, so $10k below current pricing. Tesla claims they are going to cancel my order any day now if I don't pull the trigger. It would be helpful to see and hear what vs just read about it.

Has anyone posted or seen any videos showing this vibration? I've searched to no avail and haven't had the chance to experience it first hand.

Still trying to decide whether or not to cancel my MS LR order which is at early 2022 pricing, so $10k below current pricing. Tesla claims they are going to cancel my order any day now if I don't pull the trigger. It would be helpful to see and hear what vs just read about it.
It's the kind of thing impossible to show in a video.

Reactions: jebinc
quick update from my side.

I just want to be clear as I know we had confusion around the vibration (the one from start vs the one at ~40mph). My car had since new that slight and subtle vibration when I accelerate from 38-45MPH. I can get it to happen ALL of the time and I even tested it with cruise control etc and I am comfortable to recognize it. It is not bad at all in my case as it is only felt on the pedal and steering column with no sound at all. (10K miles and nothing changed).

Last week I got my car back from the SC to fix the click or ticking when turning at low speed, they did the thing most of us confirmed to clean the skidpad and re torque it and the suspension, it was fixed but I have noticed now that the vibration is happening at 30MPH to 35/37MPH), the car is silk smooth at 40+, I have been testing this for the last week and it is 100% consistence.

That tells me these are resonate frequency due to a bad design in the car suspension system as it shifted in my case after they retourqued some bolts that caused the rigidity of the car to change, most likely Tesla will never fix this as I do not think it is fixable without massive change, and they might just replace parts the will be worn out down the road due to the vibration.

It's the kind of thing impossible to show in a video.
Engineers have been measuring and showing vibrations for many years. This can be done using very rudimentary tools (paper card stock), your phone, or more dedicated vibration measuring instruments. All of these things could be used to show it in a video. Further more you might be able to record the sound with your phone or the right mic attachment.

A piece of paper card stock attached to your dash or console and horizontally cantilevered into the passenger space shows vibrations. I saw a YouTube video showing a different Tesla vibration this way, but I'm not able to find it at the moment.

Almost all mobile phones have very sensitive accelerometers in them and there are many apps for measuring and recording vibration. I've attached a link for a guy using an app to show some strange vibrations from his truck, video below.

If all of you really want to get this resolved I suggest that you record, document it, and better publicize it. Then you have evidence for prospective buyers to pressure Tesla, mechanics, engineers, and the legal system. I hope many of you will start to document this and make YouTube videos. Publicizing this will cause Tesla to put more resources into hopefully getting it fixed. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

‎Vibration Meter, seismograph

‎NVH

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Engineers have been measuring and showing vibrations for many years. This can be done using very rudimentary tools (paper card stock), your phone, or more dedicated vibration measuring instruments. All of these things could be used to show it in a video. Further more you might be able to record the sound with your phone or the right mic attachment.

A piece of paper card stock attached to your dash or console and horizontally cantilevered into the passenger space shows vibrations. I saw a YouTube video showing a different Tesla vibration this way, but I'm not able to find it at the moment.

Almost all mobile phones have very sensitive accelerometers in them and there are many apps for measuring and recording vibration. I've attached a link for a guy using an app to show some strange vibrations from his truck, video below.

If all of you really want to get this resolved I suggest that you record, document it, and better publicize it. Then you have evidence for prospective buyers to pressure Tesla, mechanics, engineers, and the legal system. I hope many of you will start to document this and make YouTube videos. Publicizing this will cause Tesla to put more resources into hopefully getting it fixed. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

‎NVH
That’s great that engineers have got all sorts of ways to measure it. And yes, I’m sure it’s measurable. It is, however, not demonstrable in a video.

That’s great that engineers have got all sorts of ways to measure it. And yes, I’m sure it’s measurable. It is, however, not demonstrable in a video.
All of us have ways to measure it as I stated previously. One could make a video showing a smart phone app recording of the vibration at different speeds using (literally like the video I shared using the app I shared) or even a stiff piece of paper taped and hanging out off the dash recorded on a video. Zero engineering education required.

Reactions: aerodyne
All of us have ways to measure it as I stated previously. One could make a video showing a smart phone app recording of the vibration at different speeds using (literally like the video I shared using the app I shared) or even a stiff piece of paper taped and hanging out off the dash recorded on a video. Zero engineering education required.

What's the goal here, though? We all know it vibrates. You can feel it through the pedals/yoke, but not really anywhere else.

‎NVH
you will need to have sensors attached to the steering column and the pedals as these vibration are subtle.

MF455, only have 260 miles on the car and initially did not notice any vibration but have begun to notice occasionally in more recent drives. Basically the exact same speed range and conditions as @jebinc noted. Frequency: less than 50% of the time (and I hope it stays that way!).

When I have noticed it, the vibration has been very mild/subtle in all instances except for one occasion when I lightly accelerated in the 40-45 mph range and the vibration was VERY pronounced. Felt it in the pedal and yoke; really the entire car was shaking. Only lasted for a second or so.

I have the 19" wheels w/aero covers but swapped out the OEM Pirelli P Zero's for Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's on day of delivery.
Do those tires drive better ?

How do you know it’s vibrating and is this related to the suspension. Being rough??

What I notice a lot now is my left driver mirror is always a little blurry cause it’s shaking either from music or road movement
The driver’s side mirror shaking has been an issue since day 1 on the refresh. It might be very slightly better on my ’22 refresh over my ‘21 refresh, but it’s slight, if at all - improved. Most people won’t notice or care, but there’s definitely been complaints about it.

The driver’s side mirror shaking has been an issue since day 1 on the refresh. It might be very slightly better on my ’22 refresh over my ‘21 refresh, but it’s slight, if at all - improved. Most people won’t notice or care, but there’s definitely been complaints about it.

My 6/21 delivery driver mirror vibrated. They replaced it immediately and that one vibrated. They offered to replace again and I said wait until there is a fix. A few months later they replaced it and it has been rock solid ever since.