Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S passenger air flow only points upward: lower vent not modulated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Refreshed Model S Plaid, the passenger airflow always blow upwards.
The lower vent is constantly on, despite settings from the MCU, causing the airflow to be directed upward.
When changing airflow from MCU, I am able to hear the sound from the motor, but there's no change with the lower vent airflow.

Diagnosis
1. Main issue is the lower ventilation is not modulated.
2. Only way to flow air downward is to block the lower vents by tape.
3. Diagnosis matrix. Erroneous states are highlighted with RED
vent-matrix.png

Additional notes
- When I set airflow downwards from MCU, I can hear a valve-like sound, but airflow is not affected
- No issues for horizontal adjustments or splits. I can see the flaps move correctly

Any suggestions on how to self-troubleshoot?
- I'm willing to take the panel apart to further diagnose, but I couldn't find any manuals or videos online showing location of the trim clips.
- @DavidStacey resolved a similar issue where his 3 only blows downward by removing a foam that blocked the valve
- Do I need to remove the top of the dash, or the glove compartment, to locate the valve for lower ventilation?

Given I had numerous unfortunate events from SC, I will not visit SC only for this slightly inconvenient issue.

@WilliamG would you mind testing this out when you get your car back?

Reactions: impastu
Great start. Totally understand you trying to handle this yourself first.
Sometimes I wait until a serious matter comes up and then ask them to look at it while the serious matter is addressed.
These types of issues are tough convincing ANY service department it's broken as well.
If I had my Model S Refresh I'd check it for you, don't have it yet.

Great start. Totally understand you trying to handle this yourself first.
Sometimes I wait until a serious matter comes up and then ask them to look at it while the serious matter is addressed.
These types of issues are tough convincing ANY service department it's broken as well.
If I had my Model S Refresh I'd check it for you, don't have it yet.
From the center console issue I've learned to collect information from other owners before chasing this issue down with SC.

Are you familiar with FixYourTesla.com? They used to have what appeared to be official manuals in parts removal and replacement, but they have since removed it.

• Helpful
Reactions: impastu
The lower vent is constantly on, despite settings from the MCU, causing the airflow to be directed upward.
When changing airflow from MCU, I am able to hear the sound from the motor, but there's no change with the lower vent airflow.

Diagnosis
View attachment 748193

Additional notes
- When I set airflow downwards from MCU, I can hear a valve-like sound, but airflow is not affected
- No issues for horizontal adjustments or splits. I can see the flaps move correctly

- I'm willing to take the panel apart to further diagnose, but I couldn't find any manuals or videos online showing location of the trim clips.
- @DavidStacey resolved a similar issue where his 3 only blows downward by removing a foam that blocked the valve
- Do I need to remove the top of the dash, or the glove compartment, to locate the valve for lower ventilation?

Given I had numerous unfortunate events from SC, I will not visit SC only for this slightly inconvenient issue.

Absolutely I can. In the meantime, perhaps others can chime in. @jebinc @Muzzman1 ?

From the center console issue I've learned to collect information from other owners before chasing this issue down with SC.

Are you familiar with FixYourTesla.com? They used to have what appeared to be official manuals in parts removal and replacement, but they have since removed it.
Thanks.

I bought service manuals for my Model X that were one year older than the model I had, but plenty close enough. I fixed a window issue myself when I first got it. I think there was a pretty good chance SC would not have fixed it as well as I did. It was very hard to diagnose. Just needed a window tilt adjustment in the end.

Always worth collecting data before going in. Most issues are simple.

YouTube is a huge help. Even checking Videos on prior years will probably help you. Combo of Model 3 and Model S might get you what you need.

Reactions: electrongofast

Diagnosis
View attachment 748193

Additional notes

I can confirm, when the MCU is directed down, it blows at the passenger lumbar level. When MCU is up it is directed pretty much at the visors.
I shot a video, but not sure it's necessary.