Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed model S Plaid dashboard noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the car for a little over 2 months now, 2700 miles in. Been hearing this ticking/creaking noise coming from the driver side dashboard. My local SC took the whole front apart (dashboard, windshield) and can’t seem to locate the source. Now they tell me they have to outsource it to an outside body shop and I’ll be without the car for several weeks!?!?
Anyone having the similar problem? And what are the legal/financial ramifications of letting them take the car to a body shop? I can’t be responsible for the payments while the car is being repaired I presume.
Need help!!!! Very frustrated. :mad:😭🤬

I can’t be responsible for the payments while the car is being repaired I presume.
I expect that you WILL be considered responsible for the payments while the car is being repaired.

You may want to look closely at your warranty agreement. I think you will find it states that Tesla's sole responsibility is repair or replacement of parts. They will not cover any financial implications relative to loss of use.

Whether you think that is appropriate or not may be a different question, but I do not think you should be expecting any relief from anyone on continuing either your lease payment or monthly payment on a loan.

Upvote 0
How would you not feel you are responsible for paying your obligation of owning the vehicle?

Your only shot here could potentially be total days out of service and review how you could approach the lemon law.

Otherwise they are meeting their contract of providing a service to remediate any discovered factory defects.

And even then lemon law isn't magic wand. Expectations are unrealistic to ludicrous.

If it's that bad, start discussions on a buyback. File an arb claim if didn't opt out.

Upvote 0
And even then lemon law isn't magic wand. Expectations are unrealistic to ludicrous.

If it's that bad, start discussions on a buyback. File an arb claim if didn't opt out.
Thank you for the info, already discussed buyback and the SC supervisor handling the case says it's highly doubtful given the nature of defect (cabin noise, vehicle still drivable). Lemon law attorney thinks cash settlement at best. Am I screwed here?! This is my first Tesla and the whole experience is quickly turning into a nightmare. Never had any quality issues this bad with my previous cars...

But Plaid mode is pretty awesome not gonna lie.

Upvote 0
I had a faint but annoying clicking sound coming from my (new at the time ) 2018 MS 75D. While it came from the dash, it was originating from the front of the car and resonating through the dash. 2 aluminium bars used to stiffen the cars (best I can describe..) where flexing under certain condition (uneven roads). Both parts where changed under warranty (twice in fact as the noise came back a few months after the first replacement).

Reactions: skchoyee
Upvote 0
I had a faint but annoying clicking sound coming from my (new at the time ) 2018 MS 75D. While it came from the dash, it was originating from the front of the car and resonating through the dash. 2 aluminium bars used to stiffen the cars (best I can describe..) where flexing under certain condition (uneven roads). Both parts where changed under warranty (twice in fact as the noise came back a few months after the first replacement).
Thank you so much! I forwarded this info to my SC. Hope this is it and this nightmare will be over. This forum ROCKS.

Upvote 0
My hood just touched the stops in the frunk at the hinge. At slow speeds it clicked or rattled like a loose connector at low speeds mostly. Press lightly on the hood near the wipers and see if you hear the rattle. Fixed mine with a small foam pad on the hinge stop until it goes to service if ever.
Thank you, I'll have to check this as well.

Reactions: WilliamG
Upvote 0
My hood just touched the stops in the frunk at the hinge. At slow speeds it clicked or rattled like a loose connector at low speeds mostly. Press lightly on the hood near the wipers and see if you hear the rattle. Fixed mine with a small foam pad on the hinge stop until it goes to service if ever.
Had the same issue, service center ordered new hinge, but I've fixed with foam tape and probably will cancel appointment....
IMG_1411.jpeg
IMG_1410.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: JADCa and jacie6056
Upvote 0
On my Plaid, there's tick/rattle on the drivers dash, and I was able to isolate it. It is the directional vanes for the HVAC. It's a tight squeeze, but if you wedge your fingers into the upper vent (above the yoke) you can feel the vanes. If you swipe your fingers across them, you can replicate the rattle/ticking sound.
I found that once I swipe my fingers across, the sound stops for a few days, then comes back. I have an SC appt where I can show them this, but not sure a complete dash disassembly is worth it as that might lead to more rattles. The dash pad on the refresh cars is not a simple removal. It's huge undertaking.

Attachments

• Insulator - Dash (Remove and Replace).pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 138
Reactions: jacie6056
Upvote 0
I finally isolated and fixed the creaking from my “dash.” It was a pronounced noise going over bumps, turning into driveways and even just accelerating/slowing. First, I narrowed it down to side view mirror (after mobile tech removed inside door panel and checked the top mirror hood).

Then I found very slight, matching abrasions on both the metal inside door on quarter panel and the black plastic edge on corner of triangular window (see attached pic). The plastic piece was rubbing against metal with any body torque, causing the creaking noise.

I fixed this by attaching small piece of black foam with doubled-sided tape to the plastic piece (it won’t stick to metal corner). The noise is completely gone; so happy.

B27796DD-DC14-48A9-B403-ED110B801E60.jpeg

Upvote 0
Had the same issue, service center ordered new hinge, but I've fixed with foam tape and probably will cancel appointment....
View attachment 811070View attachment 811071

Did you every try turning that screw to adjust the clearance? I had the same clicking noise from my hood. I was able to wiggle the hood by lifting up and pushing down on the corner of the hood by the driver's side hinge, so I adjusted the screw to eliminate that wiggle and the noise is gone.

Upvote 0
View attachment 811070View attachment 811071
OMG! That totally fixed mine! I used stick on felt pads on the screw head, but same idea. I was about to start taking the dash apart! Thank you!! I also fixed the rear seat noise my wrapping the hoops that they latch to with blue painter's tape. (less sticky nasty than electrical tape). Went around a couple times and it's quiet! What a relief!

Upvote 0