Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S Plaid - Hidden Feature Coming Soon? (LED Lights!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've taken delivery of my Model S LR for a month now and I've been driving it for sometime and just realized something insane. I think there might be a potential update that allows for a led light along the front dash. There is a thick strip of glass across the front dash (see pics below). Would be absolutely epic if this was an update in the future that would make driving at night much better.

Let me what you guys think?

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 3.50.33 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Flash a light against that strip and take a photo. That may be able to show if there is a LCD screen or LED lights behind it that could in fact is activated in a future software update.

Note: The Roadster has a small LCD screen in two location in that same area, so it's possible that it's also in the new Model S/X.

Reactions: birdonwall
Just curious why you think driving at night with an LED light across your dash would make your experience 'much better'
Auxiliary screens are common in supers and hypercars. Have you ever driven in a Porsche or Ferrari that have the passenger side screens?

We don't yet know if these are LCD or LED screens, or how they work as of yet. I assume they will honor the screen brightness behavior of the main MCU and IC screens already found in the Model S.

Reactions: birdonwall
I think they are just trim pieces that the air is bounded off of via the HVAC system. My model S refresh has one and when you redirect the air, it comes from beneath that glass and bounces off as adjusted.
they are not simply trim pieces. there is a screen embedded....you can see from side profile view and back is wired to car. Whether they will eventually 'turn on' with future software update remains to be seen. Most intriguing I am not seeing any PNs in parts list for them to order as trim pieces.

There’s been evidence of LED bulbs in the trim pieces and in DynoMode about a ‘light package’. However, there’s zero evidence of a screen on the passenger side.

Edit: light evidence

When my door panel was removed because of... (well, it's my car, it's been through a lot) - there was a connector that was clearly for some light bar - just hanging around there. I do wonder if supply chain issues reduced a lot of the ambient light functionality in these cars. It's the blue cable behind the carbon/wood trim. The trim is just pulled off without any tools, if you're curious to look for yourselves.

Attachments

• 1D363A1C-6DC3-4B62-8990-48D85B9468E2_1_105_c.jpeg
    1D363A1C-6DC3-4B62-8990-48D85B9468E2_1_105_c.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 677
Reactions: cwanja
When my door panel was removed because of... (well, it's my car, it's been through a lot) - there was a connector that was clearly for some light bar - just hanging around there. I do wonder if supply chain issues reduced a lot of the ambient light functionality in these cars. It's the blue cable behind the carbon/wood trim. The trim is just pulled off without any tools, if you're curious to look for yourselves.
Bingo. Seen that same connector in three or four others that posted tear down photos. I agree, think semiconductor or some sort of supply chain issue scratched this feature.

Thanks, Akikiki for the plug!

Yep, as far as I can tell, the area behind the clear plastic is blacked out and I've not seen any LEDs behind those areas when pulling apart my car. I suspect there was some idea of lighting similar to the dash lighting that I installed but was removed at some point due to early production issues, supply problems or it just didn't look good.

Reactions: Akikiki
Brought 2022 Tesla Model S refresh in for service today. Technician confirmed that this is in-fact a deactivated screen. Said something along the lines of “but there’s no data pins attached to it, not sure why it’s there”
If you watch some of the Next Generation Roadster videos, there is one video where those screens are turned on and displaying data. I'm guessing they brought over the screens from the next generation Roadster. We'll find out one day when they activate them I guess.