Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S - rear seat rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up the new model S (long range, non plaid) about 2 weeks ago and had no issues with any rattles for the first week but recently have noticed a significant rattle appear from the right side rear backrest . I can induce the rattle by lowering the seat down and moving the backrest up and down - it sounds like a cable or something similar moving around but no snaps are missing on the backing...

Any thoughts?

Hey guys, I had the same and fixed it. Try this, see if it’s the same issue as mine:
1. Lower both seats (2nd row)
2. Use electrical tape (the black soft tape) to wrap around the metal hook where the seats click when you put them back up. Don’t put too much as it will make it hard to put the seats back up and click them but spin around it a few times at least.

That fixed it for me.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I had the same and fixed it. Try this, see if it’s the same issue as mine:
2. Use electrical tape (the black soft tape) to wrap around the metal hook where the seats click when you put them back up. Don’t put too much as it will make it hard to put the seats back up and click them but spin around it a few times at least.

That fixed it for me.
Thanks! I will have to give this the ole college try!

That fixed it for me.
I’ll have to try this also. My plaid S has been making the similar noise that seems to disappear when either the whole seat is down or just the middle arm rest. It sounds like someone’s grinding his/her teeth.

Reactions: iyordanov
I had the same rattle and also thought it was the head test but it was definitely the wiggle room between the U shaped hook that the seat attaches to when it is latched. I put some soft sided Velcro around the metal hook and it solved the issue. Wrapping it with tape I’m sure served the same purpose

Reactions: iyordanov
Thanks for the tip on the electrical tape, as I have been hearing the same rattle and I have only been able to try and get my kids to try to locate this sound as I drive down the road. I put the tape on my seat hook last night and not a sound to be heard now!

Hahah I asked my kids to locate the rattle for me too but they were useless, so I take all the credit in finding it 😂 You are most welcome! 😊

Reactions: jm404 and TNGuy99
Thanks for the tip on the electrical tape, as I have been hearing the same rattle and I have only been able to try and get my kids to try to locate this sound as I drive down the road. I put the tape on my seat hook last night and not a sound to be heard now!

Hahah I asked my kids to locate the rattle for me too but they were useless, so I take all the credit in finding it 😂 You are most welcome! 😊

Can you guys still complain to the service centers though? Tesla needs this reported to them and they need to fix the design at the factory.

Can you guys still complain to the service centers though? Tesla needs this reported to them and they need to fix the design at the factory.
I agree 100%, the issue is that they will want the car for some time and I can’t be without a car. I suspect not every MS owner is here in these forums though, so some will naturally complain and it will be looked into at some point.

Reactions: Tigers
So I had this rattle coming from the back, drivers side seat. I initially noticed it with the seat empty and under acceleration. Then with a passenger in the seat it seemed louder. I went ahead and put a couple of wraps on the metal bar the seat latches to, and amazingly enough the rattle has completely gone away! Thanks for the tip and glad this annoying problem is no longer. I will mention this to the SC and also search for a more permanent solution as I don’t expect the tape to hold up well.

For whatever it's worth, I've learned to track down rattles myself unless it's a known specific issue. I've had two cars now, both luxury/premium, where the dealers messed up a bunch of stuff trying to solve a rattle issue. I've heard that high end radio shops are better at it, as they're familiar with disassembling trim without destroying it

For whatever it's worth, I've learned to track down rattles myself unless it's a known specific issue. I've had two cars now, both luxury/premium, where the dealers messed up a bunch of stuff trying to solve a rattle issue. I've heard that high end radio shops are better at it, as they're familiar with disassembling trim without destroying it
Same experience… after a few tries with Tesla SC to fix rattles on my old M3 I decided to take all the trim apart, put noise insulating foam and put it back together. That fixed it 😃

That fixed it for me.
Thanks. This made the rattle go away! Rep sent.

The large white clip that holds the rear seat bolster in rattled on mine. Adding felt tape to where it clips into the seat and into the metal hole of the car cured it.
3C48167D-6A66-4E48-831C-9E09EF86E1AF.jpeg