Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S - rear seat rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I removed the tape. I put the rear left seat down and went for a drive, no rattle. So it must be that one latch. I used some foam striping that I'd bought previously, stuff with tape on one side, and used that. Seems to have solved the problem. I've not tried to open the latch since. I fear it might come off. Seems that latch would be better off with some rubber tubing or coating on it.

Hey guys, I had the same and fixed it. Try this, see if it’s the same issue as mine:
1. Lower both seats (2nd row)
2. Use electrical tape (the black soft tape) to wrap around the metal hook where the seats click when you put them back up. Don’t put too much as it will make it hard to put the seats back up and click them but spin around it a few times at least.

That fixed it for me.
Bless you my Son…For my new Model S Plaid rattles and squeaks No More👍🤣

Hey guys, I had the same and fixed it. Try this, see if it’s the same issue as mine:
2. Use electrical tape (the black soft tape) to wrap around the metal hook where the seats click when you put them back up. Don’t put too much as it will make it hard to put the seats back up and click them but spin around it a few times at least.

That fixed it for me.
Wow, thank you so much. That sound was so annoying and your solution fixed it.

Reactions: iyordanov
FYI I just chatted to one of the mechanics at Tesla Millford SC about the issue, as my car was in to fix stuff that was wrong on delivery. He said it's most likely that Tesla will come out with an updated part to the latch's strike plate (which I can have installed later) but for now he removed my foam fix and put what he called clear friction tape on it. Will update if I ever get news on an updated part.

That fixed it for me.
Thank you! Perfect solution, problem solved! Will re doit in black one day!
Coffee is on me! )
Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 22.19.29.png

Another satisfied customer! The tape on the bracket silenced the seats. The cabin is really quiet now, and ANR isn't active yet.

An FYI, the other rattle the car had sounded like it was under the dash, but I discovered the hood tapped on the stop by the hinged in the frunk. A bit of soft tape there cured that. Bummer the car has these little issues, as it is sooo much quieter than my previous Porsches and BMW, and the noise can easily be fixed.

Last edited:
Another satisfied customer! The tape on the bracket silenced the seats. The cabin is really quiet now, and ANR isn't active yet.

An FYI, the other rattle the car had sounded like it was under the dash, but I discovered the hood tapped on the stop by the hinged in the frunk. A bit of soft tape there cured that. Bummer the car has these little issues, as it is sooo much quieter than my previous Porsches and BMW, and the noise can easily be fixed.
Do you have a photo of the area where the tapping occurred? I’m having the same sound as if it’s under the dash. Thanks!

Reactions: jacie6056
I also have the rattle and dropped off my car with Tesla this morning to have this and a few other minor issues looked at. I wish I had spotted this thread sooner as the noise was driving me crazy but it’s best that Tesla know about these issues so a fix can be rolled out to future cars.

I just went to take a photo of the fix that Tesla did to mine, as I thought it might be useful, but now the seat won't pull forward after pressing the button... I didn't force it, but at some point when I actually want to put the seats down I'll have to.

Are there any updates on a latch re-design for this? Is anyone aware if this problem persists in newer cars or did they fix the problem with a new part?

Tesla put the electrical tape on it months ago which fixed the problem but the sound is now back and the tape they put on is partially worn away. Re-taping it fixed the problem. I've communicated with the service center in the app and have an appointment this Saturday, but asked if there was a permanent fix, e.g., redesigned latch? I told them I don't want to waste a day dealing with them if all they're going to do is put tape on it. They said they'd "research it and get back to me", but crickets since then...

Are there any updates on a latch re-design for this? Is anyone aware if this problem persists in newer cars or did they fix the problem with a new part?

Tesla put the electrical tape on it months ago which fixed the problem but the sound is now back and the tape they put on is partially worn away. Re-taping it fixed the problem. I've communicated with the service center in the app and have an appointment this Saturday, but asked if there was a permanent fix, e.g., redesigned latch? I told them I don't want to waste a day dealing with them if all they're going to do is put tape on it. They said they'd "research it and get back to me", but crickets since then...
Not sure about a redesigned latch. But they did adjust the striker on my rear drivers side and that fixed that side. They tried to do the same to the passenger side and it did not work and requires parts. No clue what parts, on my third time for the service appointment being pushed. Whatever they attempted to do made the rattle worse. So much worse.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
The tape solution worked for me, however, the striker wears through tape with use. As such, I need to re-tape it every 20 or so times the seat is opened / closed. I need to figure out a more permanent solution, but I'm not sure what type of material to use that would increase the diameter of the latch slightly but be durable.

The tape solution worked for me, however, the striker wears through tape with use. As such, I need to re-tape it every 20 or so times the seat is opened / closed. I need to figure out a more permanent solution, but I'm not sure what type of material to use that would increase the diameter of the latch slightly but be durable.
Yeah, I used the same felt tape that I slid between the dash pad and the ac outlet above the driver display to stop a rattle, but it too gets cut through by the latch

Thank you to all, i have this issues since got the car in march, didn't know what causes it. Today, lay the back seats down and no noise, must be the latches. Will try the tape or foam tape. Yes, the bolsters does play a little bit, but doubt that is the issue.

Thank you to all, i have this issues since got the car in march, didn't know what causes it. Today, lay the back seats down and no noise, must be the latches. Will try the tape or foam tape. Yes, the bolsters does play a little bit, but doubt that is the issue.

2 layers of electrical tape only in front of the U latch and the noise completely gone. Now, wil have to see how long it last. If i can find a plastic tube so i can cut laterally to wrap the latch, it will be perfect and would last, will keep you all posted.

Reactions: cwanja
It's funny, I was in the Mt Kisco SC center today to get a rattle sorted and I said to them it's not the rear seat latch issue I'd reported previously. The service advisor said he hadn't heard about that one. I was rather shocked. Maybe people are just fixing it themselves, or living with it. Anyway, they fixed my rattle which was caused by a loose bolt in the driver side rear door panel.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot