Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed model s steering assist reduced. Safety issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ryanflynn

2021 MSLR to the moon
Apr 28, 2021
Venice, CA
Hey friends,

I’m on my way to take our daughter to the snow for the first time and saw the following error notifications while sitting at a stop light. It came up for about one second and went away.

I’m not noticing any change in the driving dynamics. And autopilot works perfectly.

Should we turn around and go home?

Attachments

• B2F61D83-8451-47FD-8853-C938FD683205.jpeg
    B2F61D83-8451-47FD-8853-C938FD683205.jpeg
    533 KB · Views: 527
My guess would be that this is probably in response to slippery ice or snow covered roads. I would be extra attentive while using autopilot or simply do the driving myself. Take care, especially with that special cargo.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerbyDave
Same happened to me freaked me out and it went away and I didn’t think twice especially with the history of my car. the alert did go away but I still took it to the SC and they checked it for half an hour and came back saying it is a software glitch that a future software update should address. Happened once again for a sec and went away again.

We get into a car and just drive. Don't really think about it much. Right? And then along comes computers. Simple enough - these incredible machines should be able to pick up this simple task. I mean we do it all the time, half the time so bored we can hardly keep our eyes open. Crank up the tunes, carry on a conversation, notice the scenery, have a snack.... And then we spend time on this site with all of the computer related problems and complications and slowly it starts to dawn on us what amazing machines these few pounds of organic matter between our ears really are! The huge numbers of lines of code necessary to accomplish this skill and we don't even need a high school education - although sometimes I think it might be a good idea, but I digress.
I really think we need to cut these programmers a little slack. The incredible number of seemingly obvious bits of information that have to be analyzed and considered in relation to another huge number of possibilities. With inputs coming from cameras, technical data regarding the motors and other components, information from maps, knowledge of relevant laws - you get the point. And the folks writing this stuff need to understand and communicate, to a machine(!), all of the various ways these inputs can effect each other. The next time I download an update and suddenly neither the headlights nor the windshield wipers are any longer on automatic I'll just take a deep breath and try to remember how to reset those functions while driving down the highway at 70 mph.

Hey friends,

I’m on my way to take our daughter to the snow for the first time and saw the following error notifications while sitting at a stop light. It came up for about one second and went away.

I’m not noticing any change in the driving dynamics. And autopilot works perfectly.

Should we turn around and go home?
Hello, did anything ever happen to your steering rack or drivetrain? I got this message and the SC told me I had to replace my steering rack. This was after refusing to replace the recalled steering rack bolts. The SC said I had to wait to be notified for when I was permitted to come in to have the bolts replaced. Before I got the call, I got this message. $3,400 repair. Not under warranty.