Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed model S Tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not clear on this. I have a 2022 Model S (Refresh). I setup a mobile tire rotation after reaching 6250 miles. I stated in the service request this was a "normal mileage-based tire rotation". Being well-aware of the staggered tire configuration, I assumed Telsa would come out and do a left-to-right rotation.

The Telsa technician arrived and quickly stated "don't do (any kind of) rotations on staggered-tire configurations". Stated it was the second such call this morning. I said why did Tesla accept the clearly-worded service request on a model that didn't require rotations. He said they're working on clarifying this (accepting service calls) for staggered configurations. No charge for the service call, and he was on his way.

I checked back with Telsa sales/support and then received a different answer (!). Explained the quick remote service call, and received the reply, quoting the Tesla 2022 S Owners Guide: Maintenance -> Tire Care and Maintenance document (i added bold emphasis) "Vehicles with staggered tires can be rotated side-to-side (left-to-right) but not front-to-back as the front and rear tire size is different. Left-to-right rotation can increase tread life significantly by changing the direction of rotation for each tire and balancing shoulder wear."

It does not appear the original Pirelli tires (or Tesla wheel covers) are directional, so I have re-scheduled the remote service call for side-to-side rotation. I assume they simply remove the tire and wheel together and swap with other side.

Does anyone have comments or suggestions on getting this staggered tire side-to-side rotation done? Thanks.

I am not clear on this. I have a 2022 Model S (Refresh). I setup a mobile tire rotation after reaching 6250 miles. I stated in the service request this was a "normal mileage-based tire rotation". Being well-aware of the staggered tire configuration, I assumed Telsa would come out and do a left-to-right rotation.

The Telsa technician arrived and quickly stated "don't do (any kind of) rotations on staggered-tire configurations". Stated it was the second such call this morning. I said why did Tesla accept the clearly-worded service request on a model that didn't require rotations. He said they're working on clarifying this (accepting service calls) for staggered configurations. No charge for the service call, and he was on his way.

I checked back with Telsa sales/support and then received a different answer (!). Explained the quick remote service call, and received the reply, quoting the Tesla 2022 S Owners Guide: Maintenance -> Tire Care and Maintenance document (i added bold emphasis) "Vehicles with staggered tires can be rotated side-to-side (left-to-right) but not front-to-back as the front and rear tire size is different. Left-to-right rotation can increase tread life significantly by changing the direction of rotation for each tire and balancing shoulder wear."

It does not appear the original Pirelli tires (or Tesla wheel covers) are directional, so I have re-scheduled the remote service call for side-to-side rotation. I assume they simply remove the tire and wheel together and swap with other side.

Does anyone have comments or suggestions on getting this staggered tire side-to-side rotation done? Thanks.
Did you ever have the 2nd mobile service call completed? Did they rotate side to side and are you satisfied?

Yes, another Tesla technician came out, took a quick look, and stated "don't rotate them". Having two Tesla technicians tell me this, I will run on the factory Pirelli's until it's time to replace them.
Tesla techs aside, any vehicle with a staggered setup can have tires rotated left to right. So, I'm not sure why they'd tell you not to do this.

I am not sure that is an acceptable practice to go against the "outside" and "inside" labels on the tire wall. They may look the same but their construction might be different to accommodate corner handling and water clearance.
I don't know if I would agree with your point. When putting AT tires on trucks, I usually get asked if I wanted the white lettering inside or outside. From the tire stand point, I don't see what difference it makes.
From a performance POV I do see a difference such as water discharge. But by swapping the tire on the same axle, you are reversing the tread, so I would hesitate from doing that. It would appear the best bet would be no tire rotations would be the best bet.