Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model X Delivered Yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few questions for the team:
I took delivery yesterday of a refreshed Model X Long Range.

(1) It arrived as a 2021 with 50 something miles on it. I was hesitant to accept delivery but was overwhelmingly told by the team to just flip it because so few are out. I was also told the LRs (not Plaids) that are being delivered are virtually all 21s still. Is that true?? Was I duped?

(2) The car has a number of small cosmetic issues, none of which are shocking; this is my second Tesla. But now, they say to just take pics and upload them on the app and that I have 72 hours to do so. Anyone have experience with this?

Thank you in advance for your help!! This is my first thread.

Tesla doesn't do model years, right? Refreshed is refreshed - what differences do you think you're missing? I'm thinking of an X myself so I'm interested to hear.
Apparently the headlights are slightly different (micro LEDs in 2022s vs. regular HID (honestly I can't tell)) and I have the old-school sideways flipping door for the charger instead of the flip-vertically door that is on the 3 and the Y. If "refreshed" is "refreshed" then that's a different story - then I'm less upset about this, but that's why I'm reaching out. If you're telling me this won't materially affect resale, then great. But this is a first - my wife's car is a 2022 that we picked up in September with a 9/21 build date. The sideways door is actually better quality IMO. I appreciate the response!

Tesla doesn't do model years, right? Refreshed is refreshed - what differences do you think you're missing? I'm thinking of an X myself so I'm interested to hear.
They absolutely do model years. It’s literally stamped all over the vehicle.

And regardless of what you think on Tesla’s approach to model year designation, I can assure you it will have a real-world impact insurance and resale value.

Reactions: Prairie and BamaATL
They absolutely do model years. It’s literally stamped all over the vehicle.

And regardless of what you think on Tesla’s approach to model year designation, I can assure you it will have a real-world impact insurance and resale value.
Yeah, I feel this. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I really could use some advice here.

The latest Xs (as of a few weeks ago, not all 22's) do have updated charge port and taillights but do not have the matrix headlights. Per Sawyer Merritt, Headlight update is in June but that is a WAG.

You've accepted it now so focus on getting everything fixed.

You can try to flip it but there are costs to doing that. You will have to decide if it's worth being without a car for months while you order a new one vs reduced resale value when selling vs cheaper insurance/registration from being an older car.

They do model years, but they don't mean much with Tesla with regard to features. If a new feature, even a major one, is ready, the car made Monday can have it and the one made the previous Friday does not.

Examples on my 2018 X were the new MCU showed up in mid-Feb and I picked my car in June. And the color combination I ordered was discontinued in April/May so they used a different one. Both turned out to be big wins resulting in speedier displays and nicer colors.

Reactions: gglockner
What was your order date? We're pulling our hair out! We ordered an MX LR on June 5, days after our 2018 MX was totaled on June 1, 2021. Our delivery estimate has slipped from December-January to Jan-Feb to March to July. I was hoping for a 2022 for resale value, but now it looks like I might be getting a 2023. Meanwhile I just filled up for $140 last night (26.5 gallons of diesel #2 in SoCal). I hope they work out the production issues soon!

Reactions: Prairie

Because in 3 years the difference in value of the car they received today will be $20K on kbb between 2021 and 2022. I'd NEVER accept a 2021 when 2022s have been being delivered for 2 months already. Plus it just spent 5 months sitting in the sun outside.

On the plus side, it will have radar still which means AP will actually work without trying to force cars behind to smash into it every 10 seconds.

Because in 3 years the difference in value of the car they received today will be $20K on kbb between 2021 and 2022. I'd NEVER accept a 2021 when 2022s have been being delivered for 2 months already. Plus it just spent 5 months sitting in the sun outside.

On the plus side, it will have radar still which means AP will actually work without trying to force cars behind to smash into it every 10 seconds.
Actually I believe even if it is equipped with radar, it will be disabled in software. I know it is already disabled on my 2018.

• Disagree
Reactions: aerodyne and ahmadr