Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

refreshed model X dual motor long range competitions for >100K budget?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, where in my post did I state "dealers are the only ones taking advantage of what the market will support?" Those are your words only. My post clearly stated "any OEM that sells through a dealership has no control over what the dealer will charge." Any product produced in a factory has a MSRP. As a consumer, any retail channel can charge me what ever they want. A child knows this. If a retail store price is higher than MSRP, that store will not be in business very long. My point is that Teslas are expensive but at least we consumers know exactly what the price will be when we go to pickup our vehicle. This is not true for many consumers when they place an order for other EVs or ICE vehicles that are sold through dealerships. OEM cost to the dealers did not go up so dealer markups are just a supply and demand retail channel price gouging. Anyone shopping for any vehicle over the last 2-years has experience dealer markups. Has anyone experienced Tesla not honoring the price on your confirmed order? Here in CA, friends have had $25K markups for Ford Maverick when the MSRP was $22K. Ford 150 Lightening dealer markup $50K to double MSRP. MB on EQS, $50K dealer markup. All examples are friends and family that placed orders for these vehicles. When the vehicle arrived, dealer informed them, sorry but price is now higher because of dealer markup. Thankfully, all walked away from the vehicle and ordered a Tesla, Rivian, or Lucid. I will test this myself next year. I have a 2023 MX and 2024 Cadillac Lyriq on order, both are to arrive Spring of 2023. If Cadillac dealer adds any markup, I will refuse the vehicle and order another Tesla or any other EV that has firm pricing. I know what my 2023 MX price will be. Consumers have the power to walk away from any retail channel that price gouges. Ford knows this and that is why they are separating the EVs from the ICE business. EV pricing is to be set by Ford and dealers will not be allowed to change the price. I think Ford will be very successful. Maybe instead of a Cadillac EV, I will end up with a Lincoln EV. This is a wonderful time to be part of the changes taking place in the automotive industry. Remember, we consumers have the final say in who will be successful.
Sorry, man, didn't mean to go off on you. It's just I've heard multiple times how Tesla is better because they don't have dealers that can screw you over and charge more than MSRP. My comment was a general comment on how Tesla isn't THAT different and THEY read the market and raise/lower the price directly. Tesla is just up front in that they are raising the price on the X by $41,000 from Jan 2021 to April 2022. Good for them, as they created a huge backlog by shutting down X production for 9 months in 2021.

I don't have any experience with dealers raising the price once a car is on the lot, but know it does happen. I also have a Caddy Lyric on reserve and will be interested to see what happens to the price when that comes in.

The Tesla pricing model, I think, IS BETTER in that once a car has money down, they honor that price even if the current price goes up by the time it comes in. Again, I have money down on a Lyric so it will be interesting to see what GM/dealer does with that one.

On the DOWN side, Tesla service model is not superior compared to a regular dealer. I'm 3+ hours from my closest Service Center. OK, I knew that when I bought it and hope the warrantee claims are low. The real problem is Tesla's attitude toward 3rd party shops, specifically body repair. We have lots of deer and they are a problem with collisions. Closest shop that can get Tesla body parts is also 3 hours away. Any other car brand, my favorite shop is literally 3 minutes down the road and does EXCELLENT work, approved and warranted by the insurance company. That shop can't get Tesla parts, so that is a no-go. I REALLY REALLY hope we don't hit a deer as that is going to be a major pain in the a&*^.

Also, our Tesla delivery was WAY to minimal compared to every other new car we have bought. Expecting a walk around and then full payment before even sitting in a new car with a yoke. Fobs not paired, no one around to answer questions. Maybe I'm older, but 'minimal' isn't always better. 2 each their own on that, but would have liked to at least been allowed to sit in the car before being expected to pay.

To me, going to a normal dealer is not the end of the world, as they provide local support.

I believe for the Model X the starting price was $89,990. They had raised the refresh price $10k from the previous version. That makes the total cost about $31k higher. Still very significant.

Web Archive from Jan, 2021 of tesla website. Starting price was $79,990. Had one reserved at that price back then. THEN they played the name game. The one I had was a LR+. They came along in April 2021 and said "We don't make that anymore, just the LR. That one is $10,000 more ($89,990). You can take the price increase, or here is your $100 back."

Sorry, man, didn't mean to go off on you. It's just I've heard multiple times how Tesla is better because they don't have dealers that can screw you over and charge more than MSRP. My comment was a general comment on how Tesla isn't THAT different and THEY read the market and raise/lower the price directly. Tesla is just up front in that they are raising the price on the X by $41,000 from Jan 2021 to April 2022. Good for them, as they created a huge backlog by shutting down X production for 9 months in 2021.

I don't have any experience with dealers raising the price once a car is on the lot, but know it does happen. I also have a Caddy Lyric on reserve and will be interested to see what happens to the price when that comes in.

The Tesla pricing model, I think, IS BETTER in that once a car has money down, they honor that price even if the current price goes up by the time it comes in. Again, I have money down on a Lyric so it will be interesting to see what GM/dealer does with that one.

On the DOWN side, Tesla service model is not superior compared to a regular dealer. I'm 3+ hours from my closest Service Center. OK, I knew that when I bought it and hope the warrantee claims are low. The real problem is Tesla's attitude toward 3rd party shops, specifically body repair. We have lots of deer and they are a problem with collisions. Closest shop that can get Tesla body parts is also 3 hours away. Any other car brand, my favorite shop is literally 3 minutes down the road and does EXCELLENT work, approved and warranted by the insurance company. That shop can't get Tesla parts, so that is a no-go. I REALLY REALLY hope we don't hit a deer as that is going to be a major pain in the a&*^.

Also, our Tesla delivery was WAY to minimal compared to every other new car we have bought. Expecting a walk around and then full payment before even sitting in a new car with a yoke. Fobs not paired, no one around to answer questions. Maybe I'm older, but 'minimal' isn't always better. 2 each their own on that, but would have liked to at least been allowed to sit in the car before being expected to pay.

To me, going to a normal dealer is not the end of the world, as they provide local support.
There are good and bad to every option. I ordered my Lyriq from a Cadillac dealer I trust that is about 90 miles away. Trust was earned over years of great customer service with four Cadillacs I have owned over the years. Even though there is a local dealer only 10mins away that is known to be unreliable. I know from my own experience never to do business with my local Cadillac dealer. I hope I will have a positive experience but remain concerned that the confirmed Cadillac Pre-Order states that the final price will be set by the dealer. As far as Tesla Service is concerned, I have had 100% perfect service from the Burbank SC or Mobile Service that is far superior to any service I have ever had. Also, my two Teslas have been the most perfect vehicles I have ever owned. I'm a car lover and I always purchase for emotional reasons. I see a vehicle and when I love it, I buy it, within reason of course. Tesla fascinates me because they are so far ahead with tech compared to everyone else that they are forcing others to play catch-up. Cadillac Lyriq is beauty on wheels and really seems to capture what Cadillac was and what it should be. I still dream and hope we will see a beautiful EV from Lincoln. I still think some of the greatest automobile designs came from Lincoln. Yes, I do have a favorite Lincoln dealer I purchased from in the past that I will be ready to order from again if a Lincoln EV ever comes out that I like. I'm so sorry you have had bad experiences with your local Tesla support. I'm sure if I had experienced the same, I would never again consider a Tesla just as I will never do business with a dealer that price gouges or provides bad service. For me Tesla has been the best. I found one Cadillac dealer and one Lincoln dealer that provided a positive purchasing experience as well as good service. I have had nothing but negative for all the other dealers including Mercedes, Audi, Chrysler, Lexus, and Toyota. We all have preferences based on our personal experiences and that is a good thing. Best wishes.