Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

refreshed model X dual motor long range competitions for >100K budget?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EQS SUV being released tomorrow. May not match the performance of the Plaid X but Luxury and interiors are to die for. Exterior is likely going to be "Meh" but so is the model X :)

I'm waiting for the pricing and availability to be announced before thinking about trading in my model S and minivan for the EQS SUV.

Tesla is still way ahead when it comes to batteries, range, power and technology. The other big one is the charging network. When you look at the whole picture the Model X should be at the top of anyones list looking for an EV luxury suv.

The two I have my eye on are the Lucid suv and Rivian suv. Both are still 1-2 years before they come out. They still don’t have the charging network

In the Luxury E-SUV, 5-7 seater category, right now MX is the only option being manufactured without any caps on volume. I have a 2023 MX on order priced at $139K, including FSD. Estimated delivery is April - July 2023 for an order that was completed in June so wait time is 10 - 13 months. Tesla advantages are tech and software are proven and represents the best available at this price point. So far no other competitor has matched Tesla over-the-air software updates so this is also a major advantage. Tesla direct purchasing does away with dealers (a huge advantage). Here in CA, we also have Tesla insurance which is 30% - 40% below any other car insurance that we had or got quotes for. Tesla Service has been far superior to any other service we have had, including MB service. Tesla Supercharging network is the best and most reliable in the world. If Tesla opens to all EVs, this will no longer be a Tesla advantage but good for all EV owners. We considered the Rivian R1S which has just started deliveries but for new orders looks like end of 2023. We are also concerned about Rivian's Service and low production rate and we are not willing to take a chance at this time. (Love the R1S in green with green interior, no one else offers this color combination.) Briefly considered MB EQS which starts at $130K but reports here in CA about dealers tacking on $50K+ to retail price, no thanks. I have not yet heard of any other luxury E-SUV with 340+ mile range at $130K that would be available for delivery in the next 12-months.

Also I rarely see mentioned is Teslas Dashcam/Sentry mode. No aftermarket dashcam can give you the front,side, and rear camera coverage that can run directly off the MX 100kwh battery.
True but I wish that Tesla would add a 360 birds eye view or at least a front view for easier parking. There are many cars that have offered this view for years. It is the only feature on my MB that I miss. In MB, selecting birds eye view, front and rear cameras would extend out. Cameras would retract once no longer needed. Tesla could do the same which would not interfere with Vision FSD. Now you can get this feature on most $40K cars.

Reactions: jiehan
True but I wish that Tesla would add a 360 birds eye view or at least a front view for easier parking. There are many cars that have offered this view for years. It is the only feature on my MB that I miss. In MB, selecting birds eye view, front and rear cameras would extend out. Cameras would retract once no longer needed. Tesla could do the same which would not interfere with Vision FSD. Now you can get this feature on most $40K cars.
Agree. Add CarPlay also! The Bluetooth is just old tech. Most of us have our contacts on our phone. Yeah it syncs but not nicely. If you have multiple addresses for a person it only sees one. Plus the voice recognition on my phone is just better.

I also have Apple Music subscription. They haven’t added that either. If they at least had CarPlay I could totally just do it through voice.

That brings me to another point. If Tesla isnot going to support CarPlay at least allow Siri activitation by using long press on the steering wheel. Most car makes do this as well.

I’m actually looking forward to some sales going to Lucid and MB. It will force them to consider what consumers want.

Reactions: henderrj
We have been looking at a replacement for our 2007 CRV and ultimately we want it to be an EV. Having logged some seat time in the X, I think the things we care about most is range and the charging network. Would I like AA/Carplay, of course. Is it a deal breaker?

What we care about:
  • at least 300 mile range
  • charging network
  • adaptive cruise control

What's nice, but not as big of a deal:
  • lane keep
  • infotainment (AA/Carplay)

Of all the SUVs we test drove, here's what we seriously considered but ultimately did not want to purchase.
  • Toyota Venza/Lexus NX
    • Lots of neat tech, great fit finish, comfy. Ugly. Dealbreaker was how terrible ACC and lane keep was.
  • Audi Q5
    • Clean, well put together. Drove well. Looks good. Dealbreaker was the software change to ACC/lane keep for the 22+ models
The winner was the Volvo XC60. It was put together well, looks good, drives well.

I think when Volvo pivots entirely to EV the XC60 is going to be our next car. Hopefully charging infra will be much better.

We have been looking at a replacement for our 2007 CRV and ultimately we want it to be an EV. Having logged some seat time in the X, I think the things we care about most is range and the charging network. Would I like AA/Carplay, of course. Is it a deal breaker?

What we care about:
  • at least 300 mile range
  • charging network
  • adaptive cruise control

What's nice, but not as big of a deal:
  • lane keep
  • infotainment (AA/Carplay)

Of all the SUVs we test drove, here's what we seriously considered but ultimately did not want to purchase.
  • Toyota Venza/Lexus NX
    • Lots of neat tech, great fit finish, comfy. Ugly. Dealbreaker was how terrible ACC and lane keep was.
  • Audi Q5
    • Clean, well put together. Drove well. Looks good. Dealbreaker was the software change to ACC/lane keep for the 22+ models
The winner was the Volvo XC60. It was put together well, looks good, drives well.

I think when Volvo pivots entirely to EV the XC60 is going to be our next car. Hopefully charging infra will be much better.
The X is definitely the more luxury ride, probably somewhere between a Lexus RX/GX. I'm loving our X LR that is about 2 months old. The enhanced autopilot is really nice and definitely next level compared to anything I've ever driven. We're in the process of getting the Full Self Drive so I can't comment on that yet. The power/acceleration is also incredible and effortless compared to gas vehicles. I'm still shocked at how it can go from 50-90 so fast, feels like 2 seconds. I dont think I'm going to be buying a gas car again at least when it comes to SUVs or sedans.

If you want the more cost effective option, look at the Y. It's more inline with the Lexus NX. You still get the power and tech you would expect from a Tesla.

Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
The X is definitely the more luxury ride, probably somewhere between a Lexus RX/GX. I'm loving our X LR that is about 2 months old. The enhanced autopilot is really nice and definitely next level compared to anything I've ever driven. We're in the process of getting the Full Self Drive so I can't comment on that yet. The power/acceleration is also incredible and effortless compared to gas vehicles. I'm still shocked at how it can go from 50-90 so fast, feels like 2 seconds. I dont think I'm going to be buying a gas car again at least when it comes to SUVs or sedans.

If you want the more cost effective option, look at the Y. It's more inline with the Lexus NX. You still get the power and tech you would expect from a Tesla.

I like the Y, but we can't justify what they are asking for it. It's nice, but I don't think it's 70k nice. Before all the price hikes, for sure. Crossing my fingers the XC60 continues to develop into a better, full blown EV.

MXP owner here, purely personal (I'll post a separate review shortly) but after owning it for 2.5 months, it is a great car but there are plenty of competitors who will offer a better build/ride for less. i.e. to me it's not worth the $126k (what I paid for it) or the $140k (today's price) and I assume as Tesla gets more competition, the pricing will be adjusted.

The 2 that fits neatly in this segment (i.e. can seat 6 or more, pure EV) are the Mercedes EQS SUV (being built in Alabama) and Rivian R1S.

Mercedes = genuine luxury in terms of materials, build and tech for ~$20k-$30k less (final pricing not announced), though one could argue about long term reliability
Rivian = Very similar package (heated/cooled seats, air suspension, roomier 3rd row) for $40-$50k less, just a matter if Rivian survives losing money over the next 2 years as a company

We sold our MYLR for the MXP, the MXP is a nicer car but not worth 2 MYLR's.

MXP owner here, purely personal (I'll post a separate review shortly) but after owning it for 2.5 months, it is a great car but there are plenty of competitors who will offer a better build/ride for less. i.e. to me it's not worth the $126k (what I paid for it) or the $140k (today's price) and I assume as Tesla gets more competition, the pricing will be adjusted.

The 2 that fits neatly in this segment (i.e. can seat 6 or more, pure EV) are the Mercedes EQS SUV (being built in Alabama) and Rivian R1S.

Mercedes = genuine luxury in terms of materials, build and tech for ~$20k-$30k less (final pricing not announced), though one could argue about long term reliability
Rivian = Very similar package (heated/cooled seats, air suspension, roomier 3rd row) for $40-$50k less, just a matter if Rivian survives losing money over the next 2 years as a company

If you have the Plaid then you paid for the performance. No one has anything in the same league as the Plaid when it comes to SUVs. The Mercedes has 1/2 the power of the Plaid.

The MX LR was a reasonable deal but that too has gone up like $20k+. Seems like too many still want Tesla and demand is high.

From purely power/range/charging/technology Tesla has a decent lead and that is probably why the demand is still high.

All that being said if power is important then the Plaid is actually a great deal. You get a 6 seater SUV that can outrun a Ford GTs and lambos!? That’s kind of crazy.

If luxury/ride is more important then I can see someone preferring the Mercedes.

Last edited:
I agree. Tesla pricing may be high when you compare OEM's retail pricing but remember, any OEM that sells through a dealership has no control over what the dealer will charge. MB, GM, Ford, etc. dealers are adding $50K+ to retail price when you try to purchase any of their E-SUVs. At least with Tesla & Rivian you are never a victim of dealers gouging you on final price paid. Glad I ordered 2023 MX in June. I know exactly what the price will be when it arrives sometime March - June 2023. If another OEM ever offers firm order price that a dealer cannot change, I will consider them in the future.

Reactions: darrelld
If you have the Plaid then you paid for the performance. No one has anything in the same league as the Plaid when it comes to SUVs. The Mercedes has 1/2 the power of the Plaid.

The MX LR was a reasonable deal but that too has gone up like $20k+. Seems like too many still want Tesla and demand is high.

From purely power/range/charging/technology Tesla has a decent lead and that is probably why the demand is still high.

All that being said if power is important then the Plaid is actually a great deal. You get a 6 seater SUV that can outrun a Ford GTs and lambos!? That’s kind of crazy.

If luxury/ride is more important then I can see someone preferring the Mercedes.

MB has always been hit or miss to me. Loved the C63 AMG, hated all their SUVs. I really can't stand their interiors.

Name another SUV under $300k (or for that matter, at any dollar amount) that has the performance envelope of the MXP.

I don't disagree with you that on the surface (as as SUV) it's not worth 2X a MY. But, when one goes for the Plaid, I think we have to throw out some logic with the value. If you consider the performance envelope, there IS no other competition. If we are only looking at EV SUV with up to 7 seats around $100K, I agree R1S and EQS SUV would be prime competitions. In fact, as a pure SUV, I think they are better. Their shape will provide better room. Part of the problem with consider the R1S is, it's too late now... EDD are 18+ months out. The MB, well, on paper you can get some for about the same price as the MXP, but since when has a high end MB end up at the dealership with anything less than $50k worth of options.

I struggled with this particular question myself often. In fact I still do because my MXP hasn't been delivered yet. Ultimately I am 95% sure I will keep the MXP for two reasons: 1) the FWD - with two little kids the FWD should be great to get them in and out; 2) the performance - not that I am a fast driver, those days are gone, but practically speaking, I've never owned anything approaching this level of power and I've owned some powerful cars (M5, CTS-V, etc).

Reactions: Epradox
Don’t forget the safety aspect my friend. Here I think tesla is really undervalued in terms of competition. What’s your life worth, or those you love?

That and the captains chairs were huge factors for me. All that for the family, plaid for me.

No way I’d go back to non-captains. It just plain sucks and the wing doors make getting in and out of that 3rd row an absolute breeze. If the r1s had the option I might have considered.

Dealbreaker was how terrible ACC and lane keep was.
  • Audi Q5

Get a comma and problem solved. Comma is as good as AP and only 2k.

Don’t forget the safety aspect my friend. Here I think tesla is really undervalued in terms of competition. What’s your life worth, or those you love?

That and the captains chairs were huge factors for me. All that for the family, plaid for me.

No way I’d go back to non-captains. It just plain sucks and the wing doors make getting in and out of that 3rd row an absolute breeze. If the r1s had the option I might have considered.
I dont like the captain chairs so I had to go for the LR. Otherwise would have gotten Plaid. There are so many reasons the captain chairs make the SUV much less versatile, especially if you have dogs or need to fold the seats down.

The only reason to get captain chairs is if you need access to the 3rd row very often. For me I dont care about the 3rd row. I want versatility, carry my dogs (bench seat), fold the 2nd row down for bikes, dog crates, large items, camping, you name it.

Another plus is you can carry 5 people and still have a large cargo area in the back. Anyways....I'm not a fan of the 6 seater but to each their own. I guess if you have enough kids to need the 3rd row all the time then it makes sense. But why would a kid hauler need 1,020 hp ;) I'm still pissed they dont offer 5/7 seater on the Plaid.