Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

refreshed model X dual motor long range competitions for >100K budget?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, 5 over here, and counting…
Thank god they didn’t offer a plaid +. This is too much as it is
Honestly the LR is quite fast. I haven’t even put the pedal to the floor in insane mode and it already feels fast enough to be uncomfortable.

The LR is a little deceiving because on paper 0-60 3.8 doesn’t sound mind blowing. But it’s being limited 0-30. I’m certain they can make it do 2.9-3.0 sec 0-60 if they wanted to. After about 30mph it’s full on and is faster than the old Raven Performance.

Im coming from owning sport bikes and Supra Twin Turbo so I know a thing about speed.

The LR does pull like a speed bike on the highway and is definitely faster than the Supra Twin Turbo.

Can’t imagine the Plaid.

Reactions: Eskimo YoYo
True but I wish that Tesla would add a 360 birds eye view or at least a front view for easier parking. There are many cars that have offered this view for years. It is the only feature on my MB that I miss. In MB, selecting birds eye view, front and rear cameras would extend out. Cameras would retract once no longer needed. Tesla could do the same which would not interfere with Vision FSD. Now you can get this feature on most $40K cars.
Had birds eye view on my wife’s Chevy bolt, while nice would not trade sentry mode for it. Check out whambamteslacam on YouTube and decide the value add yourself.

I don’t see why Tesla can’t have both sentry and 360 view
I agree. There is no technical reason why a vehicle cannot have both features. 360 view has nothing to do with sentry mode and since both features are controlled by software, code could easily separate the two functions into two separate features. Since 360 view is available on vehicles costing $35K, I see no reason for Tesla not to add the feature to all models. On the new $138K MX I have on order, this is a glaring omission along with a powered frunk. Also, I do not add 3rd party options to any of my cars. I expect the OEM to offer what is needed and wanted. New MX is replacing my 2017 MX and it seems to still be the best option now for E-SUV. When I go to replace my 2018 Performance M3, I will be looking for these two features.

I agree. There is no technical reason why a vehicle cannot have both features. 360 view has nothing to do with sentry mode and since both features are controlled by software, code could easily separate the two functions into two separate features. Since 360 view is available on vehicles costing $35K, I see no reason for Tesla not to add the feature to all models. On the new $138K MX I have on order, this is a glaring omission along with a powered frunk. Also, I do not add 3rd party options to any of my cars. I expect the OEM to offer what is needed and wanted. New MX is replacing my 2017 MX and it seems to still be the best option now for E-SUV. When I go to replace my 2018 Performance M3, I will be looking for these two features.
While they’re at it CarPlay please!

I dont like the captain chairs so I had to go for the LR. Otherwise would have gotten Plaid. There are so many reasons the captain chairs make the SUV much less versatile, especially if you have dogs or need to fold the seats down.

The only reason to get captain chairs is if you need access to the 3rd row very often. For me I dont care about the 3rd row. I want versatility, carry my dogs (bench seat), fold the 2nd row down for bikes, dog crates, large items, camping, you name it.

Another plus is you can carry 5 people and still have a large cargo area in the back. Anyways....I'm not a fan of the 6 seater but to each their own. I guess if you have enough kids to need the 3rd row all the time then it makes sense. But why would a kid hauler need 1,020 hp ;) I'm still pissed they dont offer 5/7 seater on the Plaid.
I agree they should have offered the 5/7 seater on the plaid but I also really do like the 6 seat now. I went initially for the 7 seat plaid but then they called me and said it wasn’t going to be made and gave me a “free” upgrade to the 6 seat which now I’m glad I got. And I actually really enjoy the 6 seat config with a dog. He chills on the ground in between the 2 captains chairs and since the 2 captains are on pedestals, tons of room under the seat for him to kinda sprawl out. The captains chairs also allow for more 3rd row rear leg room so you can more comfortably transport 6 adults vs the 7 seat.

You can see how much rear leg room they have in the 6 seat before they move the middle row all the way back.

But yeah the 5/7 seat config gives you more practicality as the 2nd row can fold totally flat. I wish they hinged the captains chairs to fold flat but nope they’re like buckets.

I agree. Tesla pricing may be high when you compare OEM's retail pricing but remember, any OEM that sells through a dealership has no control over what the dealer will charge. MB, GM, Ford, etc. dealers are adding $50K+ to retail price when you try to purchase any of their E-SUVs. At least with Tesla & Rivian you are never a victim of dealers gouging you on final price paid. Glad I ordered 2023 MX in June. I know exactly what the price will be when it arrives sometime March - June 2023. If another OEM ever offers firm order price that a dealer cannot change, I will consider them in the future.
Instead Tesla corporate takes all the profit instead of letting the dealer screw you over. Instead it comes right from corporate. How? Ordered MXLR on Jan 10, 2021. Starting cost on the Tesla site was $79,990 back then. Now, $120,990 starting price. So Tesla corp gets that $41,000 increase. I don't care if it is the dealer or corporate, customer sees price increase either way.

Sure demand is high and they can get it (or more for plaid). But don't say dealers are the only ones taking advantage of what the market will support. Tesla is doing it also, just up front about it.

I agree they should have offered the 5/7 seater on the plaid but I also really do like the 6 seat now. I went initially for the 7 seat plaid but then they called me and said it wasn’t going to be made and gave me a “free” upgrade to the 6 seat which now I’m glad I got. And I actually really enjoy the 6 seat config with a dog. He chills on the ground in between the 2 captains chairs and since the 2 captains are on pedestals, tons of room under the seat for him to kinda sprawl out. The captains chairs also allow for more 3rd row rear leg room so you can more comfortably transport 6 adults vs the 7 seat.

You can see how much rear leg room they have in the 6 seat before they move the middle row all the way back.

But yeah the 5/7 seat config gives you more practicality as the 2nd row can fold totally flat. I wish they hinged the captains chairs to fold flat but nope they’re like buckets.
I won't put my dogs on the floor. I have 2 dogs. Its not safe for the dog(s), or the front passenger and driver. One accident and that dog is flying through the windshield and taking out anything it it's way.

I really would have considered the 2 captain chairs if they only folded flat. I mean they do this in just about any other SUV or minivan. Why not here? If they folded flat I could have probably figured out some way to put dog crates on them, maybe one on each of the folded flat chairs. possibly might have needed to make a little platform connecting the two that is tied down. Again not ideal but it would have been enough to sway me over.

As you can see, if you want to use a dog seat belt on a bench seat or have dog crates that are tied down, 6 seater is a no go.

Last edited:
Instead Tesla corporate takes all the profit instead of letting the dealer screw you over. Instead it comes right from corporate. How? Ordered MXLR on Jan 10, 2021. Starting cost on the Tesla site was $79,990 back then. Now, $120,990 starting price. So Tesla corp gets that $41,000 increase. I don't care if it is the dealer or corporate, customer sees price increase either way.

Sure demand is high and they can get it (or more for plaid). But don't say dealers are the only ones taking advantage of what the market will support. Tesla is doing it also, just up front about it.
I believe for the Model X the starting price was $89,990. They had raised the refresh price $10k from the previous version. That makes the total cost about $31k higher. Still very significant.

Also material and supply costs DID go up in the past year. We have no idea how much more something costs today. Lets take a wild guess and say that the Model X costs $10k more to make. Which would bring the cost to about $100k.

Yes you are correct in that Tesla is easily profiting an extra $20k more today. That is still better than a pure dealer markup where different customers get different prices, etc.

In this older version of the 7 seater, does the 2nd row middle seat not move forward and back?

The newer versions of the 2nd row are not powered anymore but the entire "bench" can move forward and back...it's technically a 60/40 split seat so you have to move both sides forward or back. There is also a button for 3rd row access, granted it's not as convenient and you still need to push it by hand.

I'm not sure how the 6 seater gives you more leg room. Maybe only for one of the legs that can stretch down the middle but the other leg would be the same as the 7 seater.

In either case, the 3rd row is not great for adults. Its best for kids and I guess if you have more than 2 kids and need to access that 3rd row all the time, 6 seater makes sense. In our case we don't care much for using the 3rd row. We leave that 3rd row folded down all the time. We may use it once a year if we're lucky. I care more about having a bench seat in the 2nd row and the fold flat feature.

In this older version of the 7 seater, does the 2nd row middle seat not move forward and back?

The newer versions of the 2nd row are not powered anymore but the entire "bench" can move forward and back...it's technically a 60/40 split seat so you have to move both sides forward or back. There is also a button for 3rd row access, granted it's not as convenient and you still need to push it by hand.

I'm not sure how the 6 seater gives you more leg room. Maybe only for one of the legs that can stretch down the middle but the other leg would be the same as the 7 seater.

In either case, the 3rd row is not great for adults. Its best for kids and I guess if you have more than 2 kids and need to access that 3rd row all the time, 6 seater makes sense. In our case we don't care much for using the 3rd row. We leave that 3rd row folded down all the time. We may use it once a year if we're lucky. I care more about having a bench seat in the 2nd row and the fold flat feature.

gives you a breakdown of legroom of 7 vs 6 seat configurations. the 6 seater gives slightly better legroom.

gives you a breakdown of legroom of 7 vs 6 seat configurations. the 6 seater gives slightly better legroom.
Interesting. What I don’t get is how can the 6 seater give you more leg room in the 2nd and 3rd row? The only way this is possible is if the seat is physically smaller/shallower.

In any case I’m not much concerned about the 3rd row. It’s only there for a let’s go to a restaurant and I have some guests over and we can take one car and put kids back there. Other than that scenario I would never use the 3rd row And rather have the versatility and use of the 5/7 bench seat.

I would never actually take a long trip with any adult in the 3rd row regardless of 6 seat or 7 seat.

Sorry I hope I didn't come off as being offensive. I think it's awesome you have the Plaid. I wanted the Plaid and still a little jealous....but after some time the versatility of the 7 seater and very good performance on the LR, I am feeling less jealous now :)

Anyways congrats on the Plaid, it's one of a kind!

Sorry I hope I didn't come off as being offensive. I think it's awesome you have the Plaid. I wanted the Plaid and still a little jealous....but after some time the versatility of the 7 seater and very good performance on the LR, I am feeling less jealous now :)

Anyways congrats on the Plaid, it's one of a kind!

no offense taken, I wanted the 7 seat plaid initially so i agree with your sentiments on a lot of the aspects of practicality. They both have their pros and cons. I couldnt go down to an LR 7 at the price point I was at unfortunately, didnt make any sense. The price differential between an LR and plaid for me was $12k but I would get the plaid this year guaranteed which works for current bonus deductions that are decreasing next year. Would have cost me more to get an LR next year than a plaid this year. ideally though a 7 seat LR at the $89k price point delivered this year would have been the best option for sure and I would have 100% gone with that configuration instead but I was too slow :\

no offense taken, I wanted the 7 seat plaid initially so i agree with your sentiments on a lot of the aspects of practicality. They both have their pros and cons. I couldnt go down to an LR 7 at the price point I was at unfortunately, didnt make any sense. The price differential between an LR and plaid for me was $12k but I would get the plaid this year guaranteed which works for current bonus deductions that are decreasing next year. Would have cost me more to get an LR next year than a plaid this year. ideally though a 7 seat LR at the $89k price point delivered this year would have been the best option for sure and I would have 100% gone with that configuration instead but I was too slow :\
Man I wish I would have gotten it for $90k base as well. By the time I got it wasn’t too far from the Plaid. It bothered me I paid so much. But getting over that slowly. It’s basically the same car except the extra motor. But it’s pretty nice to know you have the fastest suv on the planet. 😉

Btw what deductions are you referring to. Thought there was not really anything we could do as far as tax credit.

Wow, where in my post did I state "dealers are the only ones taking advantage of what the market will support?" Those are your words only. My post clearly stated "any OEM that sells through a dealership has no control over what the dealer will charge." Any product produced in a factory has a MSRP. As a consumer, any retail channel can charge me what ever they want. A child knows this. If a retail store price is higher than MSRP, that store will not be in business very long. My point is that Teslas are expensive but at least we consumers know exactly what the price will be when we go to pickup our vehicle. This is not true for many consumers when they place an order for other EVs or ICE vehicles that are sold through dealerships. OEM cost to the dealers did not go up so dealer markups are just a supply and demand retail channel price gouging. Anyone shopping for any vehicle over the last 2-years has experience dealer markups. Has anyone experienced Tesla not honoring the price on your confirmed order? Here in CA, friends have had $25K markups for Ford Maverick when the MSRP was $22K. Ford 150 Lightening dealer markup $50K to double MSRP. MB on EQS, $50K dealer markup. All examples are friends and family that placed orders for these vehicles. When the vehicle arrived, dealer informed them, sorry but price is now higher because of dealer markup. Thankfully, all walked away from the vehicle and ordered a Tesla, Rivian, or Lucid. I will test this myself next year. I have a 2023 MX and 2024 Cadillac Lyriq on order, both are to arrive Spring of 2023. If Cadillac dealer adds any markup, I will refuse the vehicle and order another Tesla or any other EV that has firm pricing. I know what my 2023 MX price will be. Consumers have the power to walk away from any retail channel that price gouges. Ford knows this and that is why they are separating the EVs from the ICE business. EV pricing is to be set by Ford and dealers will not be allowed to change the price. I think Ford will be very successful. Maybe instead of a Cadillac EV, I will end up with a Lincoln EV. This is a wonderful time to be part of the changes taking place in the automotive industry. Remember, we consumers have the final say in who will be successful.