Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model X Falcon Wing Door (FWD) will not open properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I start, I apologize for my poor English.
I received my 2023 Refreshed Model X a few days before Christmas last December. It's a Long Range with FSD and is a 7-seater.
And from the beginning, I felt that the passenger side (right) falcon wing door sometimes stops weirdly while opening,
I thought it must be a mistake, or it's a Tesla quality.

In January, I realized this wasn't a normal issue.

The symptom was that the door would open, then suddenly stop with a beep (ding sound), and the person would have to press and hold the open button to get out.
If the door is unused for a period of time and when try to open it, it will start opening and stop suddenly and the radar on the screen shows red that something has been detected.
Once this happens, it should work fine for the next few times opening and closing.
However, after completing a drive for a period of time, or opening the door after a period of time, the falcon wing door will not to open properly again.

I had it serviced in January to fix the initial problems those come with delivery and asked them to take a look at the falcon wing, but they said they couldn't replicate it.

IMG_6843.jpg

So I went ahead and videoed the symptoms.

I had a second service with this video and they replaced the ultrasonic sensor on Feburary 8.
IMG_6844.jpg

However, the symptoms persisted after that.
I have since taken one more video and along with it I had a third service yesterday,
but they said, it's normal behaviour cause indoor parking lot.

IMG_6845.jpg

So yesterday, after leaving the service center, I came to a large open area and took a third video.
Whether indoors or outdoors, the behaviour is that the FWD's radar detects something, opens, and stops with a beep.

Then this morning, just to be sure, I went to my car and opened the door, and the problem is replicated.

FWD on the left (driver's side) works fine. (but also sometimes weird but it is OK)
It seems obvious to me that something is wrong, has anyone else had this symptom or fixed them?

I love my local service centre, they are always quick and friendly, kind to respond. I appreciate their efforts, but sadly my FWD issues are still not getting better. I'm on FSD beta and version 2022.44.30.10, so I wonder if this is a software issue. Also, the seat heater for the 3rd row left seat does not heat up, but I was told this is a firmware issue from the service centre. oh tesla...

Hi @mokorean ,

A question for you - Under the "Locks" setting there is a
setting for Falcon Door Open height - Is yours set to "Auto" or "Low?"

There is a difference between indoor and outdoor behavior of these doors.

For your benefit on future service visits and videos only take OUTDOOR videos.
When you get the outdoor behavior correct the indoor behavior ought to be corrected.

In the meantime, if you only show outdoor misbehavior, they will not be able to dismiss
it as proper "indoor" behavior...

Get the outdoor behavior fixed - The right door ultrasonic sensor is probably still mounted poorly.

Good luck,

Shawn

Reactions: mokorean and VikH
It's been about two weeks since my last repair with the information I received here.
The falcon wing door's abnormal opening symptom is clear, and I haven't had any radar issues in two weeks! finally, I'm happy now!
I am attaching the last invoice.
Based on the information from others who have had their problems fixed, it appears that the sensor tripod -cradle,carrier- was replaced, and additionally, there were areas of excess paint that was wet sanded.
Hopefully, this information will help others as well.
IMG_7191.PNG

It's been about two weeks since my last repair with the information I received here.
The falcon wing door's abnormal opening symptom is clear, and I haven't had any radar issues in two weeks! finally, I'm happy now!
I am attaching the last invoice.
Based on the information from others who have had their problems fixed, it appears that the sensor tripod -cradle,carrier- was replaced, and additionally, there were areas of excess paint that was wet sanded.
Hopefully, this information will help others as well.View attachment 917065
wow how crazy. so from factory there was too much paint. crazy!

Reactions: mokorean
Glad they got it figured out. I am one of those who has had endless issue with my 2016 (midnight silver) falcon wing door when exposed to heat. They’ve done everything from replacing sensor, tripod, and the door itself and my issue persisted. They ended up buying the car back and I got a new car in 2018 in white, which has significantly less issue. I concluded it was the darker color caused the excessive heat and sensor issue.

Got my 2022 last year. It’s been having issue with passenger falcon door since the beginning where it’d open half way and stop abruptly and showing obstacles detected with the red line next to the door, while in reality there’s nothing, and in a open outdoor area. It has happened about 10% of the time and kept getting worse, which is enough to cause inconvenience when dropping off kids at school.

We documented with video and photos and timestamps (they will need them to check the logs) and I finally brought the car in. It has gotten so bad that the car arrived the service center with the same issue, and at this point the door wouldn’t even open like it did before, red line next to door and all. I still showed them the video and gave them time stamps and they verified everything. They replaced sensor and more importantly, the tripod at the same time. No issue since then.

Reactions: mokorean
Glad they got it figured out. I am one of those who has had endless issue with my 2016 (midnight silver) falcon wing door when exposed to heat. They’ve done everything from replacing sensor, tripod, and the door itself and my issue persisted. They ended up buying the car back and I got a new car in 2018 in white, which has significantly less issue. I concluded it was the darker color caused the excessive heat and sensor issue.

Got my 2022 last year. It’s been having issue with passenger falcon door since the beginning where it’d open half way and stop abruptly and showing obstacles detected with the red line next to the door, while in reality there’s nothing, and in a open outdoor area. It has happened about 10% of the time and kept getting worse, which is enough to cause inconvenience when dropping off kids at school.

We documented with video and photos and timestamps (they will need them to check the logs) and I finally brought the car in. It has gotten so bad that the car arrived the service center with the same issue, and at this point the door wouldn’t even open like it did before, red line next to door and all. I still showed them the video and gave them time stamps and they verified everything. They replaced sensor and more importantly, the tripod at the same time. No issue since then.
Yes, I think it was exactly the same problem as my symptoms.
I'm glad it's fixed! Cheers!

This is literally the same issue that both of my falcon wing doors have had since I got my 2023 X about 4 months ago. Tesla has had the car in service for, oh, 2.5 months of the 4 months I've owned it, and it's seemingly unfixable. The driver's door opens 4" and stops 90% of the time. The passenger door opens halfway and stops 100% of the time. No objects are detected. It doesn't beep. They just stop opening no matter what.

Just a week ago, I opened one of the doors, and it opened all the way. I stood there dumbfounded just staring at it. It had never happened before. I closed it, and upon reopening it, it stopped after 4". I then stood there swearing under my breath for a while. I literally have to hold down the &^%&^% button to open them...every time. Well, except that once. It's such a POS. This car has probably lost Tesla more customers in the past 4 months than my prior 9 years of Tesla ownership has gained them.

I realize this thread is about the FWDs, but I opened the front driver's door of my X this morning. My garbage can was about 3 feet from the side of the car. The door opened right into the corner of the can without slowing down and dented the door. I tried to grab it at the last second when it seemed it was not going to stop opening but failed. Wonderful.

I just love love love all the power doors that never do what they should. Hitting the open button on the front doors results in them opening a few inches and stopping 90% of the time when there's nothing next to the vehicle. The other 10% of the time, they open all the way. WHY?? This is by far the most frustrating vehicle I have ever had just due to the completely unpredictable behavior of the doors.

This is literally the same issue that both of my falcon wing doors have had since I got my 2023 X about 4 months ago. Tesla has had the car in service for, oh, 2.5 months of the 4 months I've owned it, and it's seemingly unfixable. The driver's door opens 4" and stops 90% of the time. The passenger door opens halfway and stops 100% of the time. No objects are detected. It doesn't beep. They just stop opening no matter what.

Just a week ago, I opened one of the doors, and it opened all the way. I stood there dumbfounded just staring at it. It had never happened before. I closed it, and upon reopening it, it stopped after 4". I then stood there swearing under my breath for a while. I literally have to hold down the &^%&^% button to open them...every time. Well, except that once. It's such a POS. This car has probably lost Tesla more customers in the past 4 months than my prior 9 years of Tesla ownership has gained them.
Is there any way to get drivers door to open all the way? My MXP was made this month and I’ve had it for a few days. Never opens more than about 10 inches.