Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model X Interior Wood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, folks//
Ordered a new X Long Range to replace my 2018 X 100D. Opted out of the FAD - believe Pioneers get arrows so will wait for a bit. There are so many new things that I'll have to drive a showroom model to really see how things work together. Looking forward to it. One issue - wood trim.

When I ordered the 2018 100D (March 2018 - delivery June 2018) there appeared to be a significant number of options. I ordered everything except the FAD and the crazy wheels. The car is Blue and I selected what I think is a walnut trim. Everything else is black. It works for me. I work with wood whenever I can and really like walnut. So now, the new X is Blue with the black interior - but the wood inlay has to be ebony. Don't get me wrong, ebony is s nice (read really pricey) wood, but I prefer walnut.

Was told by the sales guy that I had no choice. The black interior gets ebony only. I don't understand. If the wood is installed by a robot, tell the robot to install walnut; if it's installed by a human, tell the human to pick up a walnut interior set. This is not rocket science.

Does anyone have a feel for what's going on here? Will things loosen up as production day gets closer? Delivery date is 'April.' Also, is there someone in Fremont who could be contacted to affect the change?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi, folks//
Ordered a new X Long Range to replace my 2018 X 100D. Opted out of the FAD - believe Pioneers get arrows so will wait for a bit. There are so many new things that I'll have to drive a showroom model to really see how things work together. Looking forward to it. One issue - wood trim.

When I ordered the 2018 100D (March 2018 - delivery June 2018) there appeared to be a significant number of options. I ordered everything except the FAD and the crazy wheels. The car is Blue and I selected what I think is a walnut trim. Everything else is black. It works for me. I work with wood whenever I can and really like walnut. So now, the new X is Blue with the black interior - but the wood inlay has to be ebony. Don't get me wrong, ebony is s nice (read really pricey) wood, but I prefer walnut.

Was told by the sales guy that I had no choice. The black interior gets ebony only. I don't understand. If the wood is installed by a robot, tell the robot to install walnut; if it's installed by a human, tell the human to pick up a walnut interior set. This is not rocket science.

Does anyone have a feel for what's going on here? Will things loosen up as production day gets closer? Delivery date is 'April.' Also, is there someone in Fremont who could be contacted to affect the change?

Thanks,

Bob
Production is being streamlined. This means fewer options.

Tesla has been moving in this direction for quite some time. Why they chose to do it with their flagship vehicles, I’ll never understand.

Reactions: X Fan
I’m surprised by your questions because mixing and matching interior colors has not been an option for at least the past 4 years. There were definitely more options in early 2018 when you previously ordered, but selecting the dash color was not one of them. They paired headliner, dash color and seat color as a single option. Only option about dash panels was an upgrade to carbon fiber trim. Here is a picture from the WaybackMachine from early 2017 that is consistent with my memory of how it remained for a long time, with some tweaks along the way as they changed wood colors, eliminated the carbon fiber option, eliminated the light headliner, etc. But always as a bundled choice. I think it is not only simplified production, but the fewer sets of options gives them fewer things to have to match between inventory cars and customers.
93E294A0-0CE2-4E23-B214-7B5FB4E1564C.jpeg

Going back into 2016, I found when dash trim WAS a separate choice all by itself.
2DC7CA06-4086-45EF-9594-5E7E474F7411.jpeg

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Thanks, folks//

Appreciate the input. Believe what I'll do is hold what I have (a USMC CH-46 pilot said that after I told him a Vietnam story). Who knows - I may like the ebony. I'll bet that there are several folks who would like to trade.
Let me take delivery and see how things stand. Maybe a trade is in order. I'll update....

regards,

Bob

Reactions: Bigriver
I've ordered a new Plaid X and don't want the carbon fiber trim and would rather have the wood. Tesla's answer... nope. As others have said, Tesla is trying to streamline production. If I really want a different interior there are many after-market companies that are happy to take my money and change things out. I get it but wish the choices of days past would come back.

Hi, folks//

Bob
I'm in the same boat, except I want to 'refresh' my 2018 X 100D with the same blue coat, but with black interior AND the walnut dash. The ebony with black interior doesn't quite pop like the white and walnut. The contrast is really special. Black interior blends in and there isn't a sharp line outline when it meets the ebony wood. And the lines are simple and elegantly nice-- so I wanna feel em. Especially with that yoke, that presents the dash so much nicer. It's a beautiful thing. I'll stay with the white interior with the 6 seats if I have to.

Or maybe this is what keeps me with my 2018 MX until the 4680 MX long range comes out... we'll see.

I've ordered a new Plaid X and don't want the carbon fiber trim and would rather have the wood. Tesla's answer... nope. As others have said, Tesla is trying to streamline production. If I really want a different interior there are many after-market companies that are happy to take my money and change things out. I get it but wish the choices of days past would come back.
I ordered the new X and went with the ebony wood interior. I’d be interested in swapping with you, I’d prefer the carbon fiber interior!

I’m surprised by your questions because mixing and matching interior colors has not been an option for at least the past 4 years. There were definitely more options in early 2018 when you previously ordered, but selecting the dash color was not one of them. They paired headliner, dash color and seat color as a single option. Only option about dash panels was an upgrade to carbon fiber trim. Here is a picture from the WaybackMachine from early 2017 that is consistent with my memory of how it remained for a long time, with some tweaks along the way as they changed wood colors, eliminated the carbon fiber option, eliminated the light headliner, etc. But always as a bundled choice. I think it is not only simplified production, but the fewer sets of options gives them fewer things to have to match between inventory cars and customers.
View attachment 640604

Going back into 2016, I found when dash trim WAS a separate choice all by itself.
View attachment 640608
I can confirm this from my personal experience. Elon did say in interviews that the X was the most configurable vehicle they ever made, to their logistical (and therefore financial) detriment and increased complexity of future maintenance of vehicles. Even my summer/fall 2018 MS 100D had black interior with carbon fiber accents. MX from the time was similar. IIRC, by 2019 this option was no longer available and was only available in with performance models, where the 100D (now badged as Long Range) only had wood options.

Reactions: Bigriver
I ordered white interior and would prefer ebony over walnut, maybe we can do tradesies :/
I also ordered white and would prefer ebony; I went to the showroom and looked at a New S, it also had walnut (it appears real and is textured…which if wrapped will show the texture). I’m waiting for delivery (in January), to see how much I like (or dislike) it after a few months. I’m getting some work done as soon as I get my X (wrap & wheels)…I‘ll wait to work on interior after I’ve had the car a bit….I can’t wait!