Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model X Plaid 2022 - Service Centre Fiasco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 2022 MX Plaid was supposed to be picked up from the Santa Clara service center for some paint correction and panel gaps fix and I get a call from my rep saying that the service technician deployed the side and door airbags when fixing the "Right Rear Saftey Restraint System Fault". And now they have to replace the headboard, airbags, and other interior trim.

Since all parts are in shortage, I have no updates on my car, and it has been sitting in the Tesla Santa Clara service center garage. It looks like the 12v battery is disconnected, as I am not able to connect to my car from the app.

I have some concerns here.
  • The last recorded car battery level was 32% and this was 2 weeks back
    • Will leaving the car like this result in battery degradation?
  • Based on the pictures, it looks like my car is left outside in the sun
    • Will this potentially affect the battery or paint in anyways?
  • Since my car will be in the service center for 30 days, can I ask them to replace my car with a new one under the California Lemon Law?

Attachments

• IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    422 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    401.1 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    371.3 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    336.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0600.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    412.9 KB · Views: 186
So my 2022 MX Plaid was supposed to be picked up from the Santa Clara service center for some paint correction and panel gaps fix and I get a call from my rep saying that the service technician deployed the side and door airbags when fixing the "Right Rear Saftey Restraint System Fault". And now they have to replace the headboard, airbags, and other interior trim.

Since all parts are in shortage, I have no updates on my car, and it has been sitting in the Tesla Santa Clara service center garage. It looks like the 12v battery is disconnected, as I am not able to connect to my car from the app.

I have some concerns here.
  • The last recorded car battery level was 32% and this was 2 weeks back
    • Will leaving the car like this result in battery degradation?
  • Based on the pictures, it looks like my car is left outside in the sun
    • Will this potentially affect the battery or paint in anyways?
  • Since my car will be in the service center for 30 days, can I ask them to replace my car with a new one under the California Lemon Law?
I thought if the airbags deployed for any reason, the car was basically totaled. If that happened to me, I'd be having them find me a new car. Can't help you with specific California rules. But I bet it will take way longer than 30 days. Did you get a loaner?

The manager from the SC called me after the incident to give me a heads up. The call went fine; I asked everything I wanted to know, including questioning if the car was totaled. He said it's not a total, and they would have my car ready in a week. But later, I heard that some of the parts have not shipped and have an ETA of TBD, and the shipped parts had an ETA of more than a week. There is no estimate on when my car will be ready yet. I have asked them to call me to discuss options, and I have not been able to get them to do that.

The manager from the SC called me after the incident to give me a heads up. The call went fine; I asked everything I wanted to know, including questioning if the car was totaled. He said it's not a total, and they would have my car ready in a week. But later, I heard that some of the parts have not shipped and have an ETA of TBD, and the shipped parts had an ETA of more than a week. There is no estimate on when my car will be ready yet. I have asked them to call me to discuss options, and I have not been able to get them to do that.
You should really consider getting a lawyer. The airbags in your car have delpoyed. Most cars would be considered totaled but due to the high cost of your vehicle, it’s not. Also, since it’s not being reported to insurance it’s not going to show up in any reports. Don’t be fooled, your car has experienced a trauma that lessens the value of the vehicle (look up diminished value in California)

Santa Clara actually did something similar to my friends model x (was damaged during service center visit) and after a lot of back and forth, Tesla bought the vehicle from them

This is a huge mess up on their end and they have to make it right. There are laws that regulate this. Please consider at least contacting some lawyers to see your options. You’re at no fault here and have a strong case

Reactions: pikeman and neo1738
You should really consider getting a lawyer. The airbags in your car have delpoyed. Most cars would be considered totaled but due to the high cost of your vehicle, it’s not. Also, since it’s not being reported to insurance it’s not going to show up in any reports. Don’t be fooled, your car has experienced a trauma that lessens the value of the vehicle (look up diminished value in California)

Santa Clara actually did something similar to my friends model x (was damaged during service center visit) and after a lot of back and forth, Tesla bought the vehicle from them

This is a huge mess up on their end and they have to make it right. There are laws that regulate this. Please consider at least contacting some lawyers to see your options. You’re at no fault here and have a strong case
Thanks @xyxx, this is good information. I’ll definitely talk to some lawyers here as the service center is refusing to call me about this situation.

My car is still in service. They are waiting for parts to arrive before they start working on it. As for the other options, such as replacing a new car or compensating me for the month-long loss of use, I don't think that is progressing much.

I’m sure Tesla would be happy to buy his car back for the price he paid.