Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long Range model is now listed at 360 miles of range - adding Plaid (replacement for the Performance model) reduces range to 340. Doesn't appear Tesla is planning an X Plaid+ version, with the larger battery pack planned for the S.

Looking at getting the Y WITH FSD, but now that the X is shown, tempted to spending more and getting an amazing amount of tech, more range, ect....
So the question is getting the Y with FSD or X with NO FSD, use some stock to pay for X, but none for Y.....VERY EXCITED about how ahead of the curve Tesla is with the yoke steering wheel, which I think will retract when FSD. Such an exciting time !!!!

Looking at getting the Y WITH FSD, but now that the X is shown, tempted to spending more and getting an amazing amount of tech, more range, ect....
So the question is getting the Y with FSD or X with NO FSD, use some stock to pay for X, but none for Y.....VERY EXCITED about how ahead of the curve Tesla is with the yoke steering wheel, which I think will retract when FSD. Such an exciting time !!!!
If it makes you feel any better I just bought a 2020 Model Y performance Dec 29th and now I have ordered the new Model X black on black with 5 seats included rims (I will keep my Uberturbine) and not doing FSD until later with the X. I will sell my Y in March for $85K (I’m Canadian) and put that toward the car. I would go with the X way more tech lol

Can someone please explain to me what part of the refresh justifies the $10,000 increase in the price, especially given that the rated mileage for the Long Range is now 10+ miles lower than it was before? I thought the heat pump was supposed to be more efficient, even if they didn't change the batteries.
I tend to agree that the changes arent worth 10K. BUT, Tesla has a long tradition of keeping prices lower than they would otherwise be on established models that will soon have major changes. This way, folks who recently took delivery of the 'old' version wont feel to bad when new one comes out, since they 'saved' 10K by purchasing earlier. And, of course, folks that just HAVE to be the first to get an exiting new toy dont mind paying 10k more.

Reactions: JoJoV111

Haha, me opposite. Was very unimpressed with the changes and timelines, looks like I'll be going for a M3LR+boost instead of a MX7P (will see later how that turns out, when it comes out). The price hike is just an insult when all the changes made only simplify the manufacturing (and make it cheaper).

Can someone please explain to me what part of the refresh justifies the $10,000 increase in the price, especially given that the rated mileage for the Long Range is now 10+ miles lower than it was before? I thought the heat pump was supposed to be more efficient, even if they didn't change the batteries.

It isn't lower.

People have been quoting range from the Monroney sticker since October as gospel, and not the number Tesla published on their website.

Per Tesla, range has increased from 351 to 360. Let's see what the EPA says when the car hits the road.
model dx.JPG

What I don’t get is Tesla seem to almost be schizophrenic about what their S and X cars are for. Are they well-appointed drones, mostly self-driving (or at least autopiloting) us from one place to another, or are they meant to be fun and engaging cars to own and drive? The new steering wheel says drone, while the 0-60 numbers say drivers car. What is the point of all that performance if the car is a pain (as well as needlessly unsafe) to drive other than in a (mostly) straight line?

What I don’t get is Tesla seem to almost be schizophrenic about what their S and X cars are for. Are they well-appointed drones, mostly self-driving (or at least autopiloting) us from one place to another, or are they meant to be fun and engaging cars to own and drive? The new steering wheel says drone, while the 0-60 numbers say drivers car. What is the point of all that performance if the car is a pain (as well as needlessly unsafe) to drive other than in a (mostly) straight line?

Truthfully, I’m actually quite excited about the new interiors and features. I like anything that moves us forward, and takes a bit of a gamble to try something new that is not like how cars have been done for the last several decades. I can totally see myself digging the crazy performance and the race car like steering wheel. I also don’t mind the new exterior tweaks to the S. I think it looks sexier than ever.

What I am disappointed in is the range. I was hoping that they would be able to deliver better range improvements. I get that the new cells won’t be ready until year end, but right now, I have a tough time justifying the cost upgrade for the little added extra range. Granted, I need more range than the average person given how my model X is also a tow vehicle but still, I figure I’d have to trade in my car AND like put down had a good 30K for essentially a new interior. I find that is a lot.

And while I love the subtle tweaks to the S design, I feel like the X required more retouching especially around the back with the fixed spoiler that still looks dorky IMO.

Reactions: tkizzy

Okay.

If it makes you feel any better I just bought a 2020 Model Y performance Dec 29th and now I have ordered the new Model X black on black with 5 seats included rims (I will keep my Uberturbine) and not doing FSD until later with the X. I will sell my Y in March for $85K (I’m Canadian) and put that toward the car. I would go with the X way more tech lol

what do you mean you will keep your uberturbine? you mean when you sell your MYP you will try to keep the rims to put it on the X or something?

• Funny
Reactions: XAEAXII
Looking at buying either a Model X or Y for our five member family. After reviewing on the site I noticed that the refreshed Model X doesn’t come with rear wheels? Is this an option? ;)

View attachment 632577
Love the image!

Seriously though, I wouldn’t get a Y if you have 3 kids. The middle seat in the second row is not much of a seat if your kids are over 10.

Anyone knows if Tesla has upped towing specs and gotten rid of the Bosal hitch for a fixed model? Can’t tell from the pictures.

Not that the specific question in my OP generated a ton of interest ;-) ... but for those who did wonder, I chatted on Tesla's web site and the rep confirmed the refreshed Model X was retaining the removable Bosal hitch receiver. Was hoping for a fixed OEM receiver like on the Y. May hold on to my current X a little while longer I guess.