Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it makes you feel any better I just bought a 2020 Model Y performance Dec 29th and now I have ordered the new Model X black on black with 5 seats included rims (I will keep my Uberturbine) and not doing FSD until later with the X. I will sell my Y in March for $85K (I’m Canadian) and put that toward the car. I would go with the X way more tech lol

Where are you selling your car? How much are you expecting to lose?

• Funny
Reactions: XAEAXII
Not that the specific question in my OP generated a ton of interest ;-) ... but for those who did wonder, I chatted on Tesla's web site and the rep confirmed the refreshed Model X was retaining the removable Bosal hitch receiver. Was hoping for a fixed OEM receiver like on the Y. May hold on to my current X a little while longer I guess.
I was interested, but didn't know the answer! Why the specific concern about the hitch?

It isn't lower.

People have been quoting range from the Monroney sticker since October as gospel, and not the number Tesla published on their website.

Per Tesla, range has increased from 351 to 360. Let's see what the EPA says when the car hits the road.View attachment 631683
Makes sense.

But 9 extra miles after having an improved battery chemistry and the new aerodynamics, seems like it's not enough. Something doesn't match up.

I was interested, but didn't know the answer! Why the specific concern about the hitch?

On my current Model X, I’ve replaced the Bosal removable hitch receiver with a fixed Draw-Tite hitch receiver. A few reasons. First, my travel trailer is close to the tongue weight limit of the X and wasn’t comfy having all that weight on a piece that’s removable, especially on our wonderful roads here. Second, as others have demonstrated, weight distribution hitches don’t play well with the Bosal. Finally, I was hoping that a new OEM fixed receiver would have upped the towing limits of the X, allowing me to go for that larger trailer I’m eyeing. Given none of that has happened, I’m back to my original plan of waiting for either the 400+ miles version of the Rivian R1T or the Cybertruck, whichever comes first.

On my current Model X, I’ve replaced the Bosal removable hitch receiver with a fixed Draw-Tite hitch receiver. A few reasons. First, my travel trailer is close to the tongue weight limit of the X and wasn’t comfy having all that weight on a piece that’s removable, especially on our wonderful roads here. Second, as others have demonstrated, weight distribution hitches don’t play well with the Bosal. Finally, I was hoping that a new OEM fixed receiver would have upped the towing limits of the X, allowing me to go for that larger trailer I’m eyeing. Given none of that has happened, I’m back to my original plan of waiting for either the 400+ miles version of the Rivian R1T or the Cybertruck, whichever comes first.
What is the weight of your trailer? How many miles/kms do you get?

I want to get a trailer for the new X but worried about not being able to get to superchargers

What is the weight of your trailer? How many miles/kms do you get?

I want to get a trailer for the new X but worried about not being able to get to superchargers

My trailer is a 2020 Airstream Bambi 22FB. Its tongue weight is 500, right at the maximum of what the X can take. The trailer itself weighs a little over 3900 pounds dry. That’s well below the 5000 the X can tow.

My X is a 2017 100D. At purchase, its displayed range was 475 KMs. Its now around 450, whether I truly lost all that range over the years or it’s the fluctuation of Tesla’s algorithm overtime I’m not sure. In normal conditions, I’ll loose 50% of the range while towing though driving slowly on flat terrain in mild weather, I’ve managed to loose less than that.

Charging is not the issue you may think. On weekend getaways, I charge mostly at home and then at the campsite itself. On longer legs, yes I do stop to SuperCharge. Sometimes I unhitch, sometimes I can park sideways at SCs with low traffic. There’s also third party charge networks that are easier to stay hitched at. See photos.

Attachments

• 48C8495F-E4D7-4DBF-A519-1D0E725BB3D1.jpeg
    48C8495F-E4D7-4DBF-A519-1D0E725BB3D1.jpeg
    932 KB · Views: 90
  • 23459BFC-613A-495A-843E-EE9A8F1A21FA.jpeg
    23459BFC-613A-495A-843E-EE9A8F1A21FA.jpeg
    664.1 KB · Views: 56
My trailer is a 2020 Airstream Bambi 22FB. Its tongue weight is 500, right at the maximum of what the X can take. The trailer itself weighs a little over 3900 pounds dry. That’s well below the 5000 the X can tow.

My X is a 2017 100D. At purchase, its displayed range was 475 KMs. Its now around 450, whether I truly lost all that range over the years or it’s the fluctuation of Tesla’s algorithm overtime I’m not sure. In normal conditions, I’ll loose 50% of the range while towing though driving slowly on flat terrain in mild weather, I’ve managed to loose less than that.

Charging is not the issue you may think. On weekend getaways, I charge mostly at home and then at the campsite itself. On longer legs, yes I do stop to SuperCharge. Sometimes I unhitch, sometimes I can park sideways at SCs with low traffic. There’s also third party charge networks that are easier to stay hitched at. See photos.
Thank you it’s very helpful I am in Canada so our superchargers are not as close as USA we would go from Calgary to Revelstoke about 410km but there is a supercharger in Banff which is only 130 from Calgary but 240 from Banff to Revelstoke I’m worried that will be too far. In the end we drive yearly (pre pandemic) to California that may be a longer trek.

Thank you it’s very helpful I am in Canada so our superchargers are not as close as USA we would go from Calgary to Revelstoke about 410km but there is a supercharger in Banff which is only 130 from Calgary but 240 from Banff to Revelstoke I’m worried that will be too far. In the end we drive yearly (pre pandemic) to California that may be a longer trek.

In Canada too, Quebec to be more precise. Tesla started the SC rollout out here earlier than for you guys i believe so there’s a bit more but still not as many as in the US. We fill the holes when required using third party charging networks. There’s the Petro Can one but also others including some with 50KW charging so pretty fast still.

Hi, folks//
Have some questions. I currently have a 2018 X 100D (delivered in June) with six seat configuration. Works fine. Car is blue with black interior and, I think, walnut panels. Might be stained ash, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm sort of a wood freak and whatever the wood is, it works. Looks good.

So, I've decided to upgrade to a new X. I noticed that all of the options I selected (everything except FAD) resulted in higher costs. The new one only has one option - FAD. Definitely not ready for that at $10k. Pioneers get arrows - I'll wait a bit.

First question has to do with the wood paneling. Black interior comes with 'ebony'. Ebony is a seriously expensive wood - so much so that I cannot afford the stuff when I work with wood. And the other interiors come with walnut. I like walnut - have a lot of walnut furniture. I'm being told that 'No, no, no, grasshopper, you can't change the wood'. This cannot be a big deal. Musk can stick a booster landing on a barge, surely he can accommodate a change in wood paneling in my new X. What I'd like to know is how can I manage this??

Secondly, I'm thinking of trading in the old X. It's actually in pretty good shape. Anyone believe I can get a better price outside Tesla?? Suggestions.

thanks and best regards,

Bob

Hi, folks//
Have some questions. I currently have a 2018 X 100D (delivered in June) with six seat configuration. Works fine. Car is blue with black interior and, I think, walnut panels. Might be stained ash, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm sort of a wood freak and whatever the wood is, it works. Looks good.

So, I've decided to upgrade to a new X. I noticed that all of the options I selected (everything except FAD) resulted in higher costs. The new one only has one option - FAD. Definitely not ready for that at $10k. Pioneers get arrows - I'll wait a bit.

First question has to do with the wood paneling. Black interior comes with 'ebony'. Ebony is a seriously expensive wood - so much so that I cannot afford the stuff when I work with wood. And the other interiors come with walnut. I like walnut - have a lot of walnut furniture. I'm being told that 'No, no, no, grasshopper, you can't change the wood'. This cannot be a big deal. Musk can stick a booster landing on a barge, surely he can accommodate a change in wood paneling in my new X. What I'd like to know is how can I manage this??

Secondly, I'm thinking of trading in the old X. It's actually in pretty good shape. Anyone believe I can get a better price outside Tesla?? Suggestions.

thanks and best regards,

Bob
You can not change the wood as delivered. That is, you’ll get whatever they provide. I am quite certain there will be some after market fixes, but I wouldn’t do that. No a la carte custom changes can be made by Tesla.

As for sale, ANY place other than Tesla will give you a higher price. At least, that’s been my experience with two prior Teslas I’ve sold. Tesla is easy to sell to, but provides low offers.

A few questions I have about the refreshed Model X.

1) Do we know what type of suspension it will have? I don't see any mentioning of "air suspension" which the current models have. Perhaps they are going to introduce the new suspension that has been rumored for the Model 3 & Model Y??

2) What is the anticipated date for them to incorporate the new 4680 batteries?

1) Do we know what type of suspension it will have? I don't see any mentioning of "air suspension" which the current models have. Perhaps they are going to introduce the new suspension that has been rumored for the Model 3 & Model Y??

No reason to believe it won't be the latest Raven suspension. Still pretty new.

On 4680, not announced for the X. Only for Model S. Plaid+ version will get 4680 year end.

1. From the pics looks like the same air suspension in the Raven versions of the S and X
2. Nobody knows, the rumor is the Model S Plaid+ will be the first to get 4680's

Any word on the yoke situation? I was ready to pull the lever and place an order on a new X to replace my 2017. But I just don't think I want a car with a "yoke." Is Tesla honestly going to put this in a family car?