Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Tesla Model S Demand Appears To Be High & Increasing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully the production will ramp-up soon so that they can start delivering the refreshed S & X. Will not be surprised if they start delivering Plaid version first as it has a higher profit margin before us LR customers get it.

On a positive note it looks like Tesla is adding lots of new stuff in the car and testing it thoroughly. Hopefully we will get a much better product, well worth the wait.

I wish the gaming console was an option for empty nesters.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Two items from this CNN article dated April 2, 2021 are disheartening: 1) the title of "Tesla temporarily halts production of its Model S and Model X" and 2) a quote attributed to Dan Ives, tech analyst with Wedbush Securities of "The S and X are on a slow sunset path," with "The demand for those models has been exhausted.".

Ok, the parts shortage is affecting a lot of electronic products, from Electrolux Dryers to Sony Playstation 5s to Tesla vehicles, et cetera. But "slow sunset path"? Plaid+ anybody?

ref: Tesla temporarily halts production of its Model S and Model X

Thoughts?
My own take is that the comments of Dan Ives are asinine. There obviously is continued demand for high-end Teslas. And Tesla has every incentive to keep producing high-end Teslas, at the very least to maintain a luxury brand image. Whether they continue to call them "Model S" and "Model X" is neither here nor there.

I ordered an MXLR on December 6, 2020, and had a March delivery date. When the January earnings call went out the delivery disappeared and we got the option for the refresh (YES PLEASE). Our sales advisors said to wait until April it will be worth it. No delivery date until yesterday when suddenly we had a delivery date between June 19 - June 30! YAY Tesla!. Then this morning I went to check and the delivery date was gone again...sigh Oh Tesla you are so cruel.

Two items from this CNN article dated April 2, 2021 are disheartening: 1) the title of "Tesla temporarily halts production of its Model S and Model X" and 2) a quote attributed to Dan Ives, tech analyst with Wedbush Securities of "The S and X are on a slow sunset path," with "The demand for those models has been exhausted.".

Ok, the parts shortage is affecting a lot of electronic products, from Electrolux Dryers to Sony Playstation 5s to Tesla vehicles, et cetera. But "slow sunset path"? Plaid+ anybody?

Thoughts?

While I'm obviously biased, that is a pretty pessimistic tone in the reporting. It is true they halt production but that is because they were retooling for the refreshed S and X models. I don't think you can correlate that absolutely with diminishing demand of the S and X vehicles but the article implies there is direct link. Yes the 3/Y did eat into S/X sales but I believe these vehicles cater to different driving needs/demands.

I'd wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Tesla's next quarter (depending on production progress) might be one of their best ever due to the S and X refresh backlog. If there is legislation that passes that would be an icing on the cake in terms of additional sales.

Reactions: RobK
While I'm obviously biased, that is a pretty pessimistic tone in the reporting. It is true they halt production but that is because they were retooling for the refreshed S and X models. I don't think you can correlate that absolutely with diminishing demand of the S and X vehicles but the article implies there is direct link. Yes the 3/Y did eat into S/X sales but I believe these vehicles cater to different driving needs/demands.

I'd wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Tesla's next quarter (depending on production progress) might be one of their best ever due to the S and X refresh backlog. If there is legislation that passes that would be an icing on the cake in terms of additional sales.

I totally agree. Elon Musk stated that "Demand was not an issue" for refreshed S & X. Another anecdotal example is that refreshed S & X will not be available in Australia until 2022. I am assuming that Tesla wants to fulfill all the US orders first. As people get positive reviews of the refreshed S & X from actual users there might be an uptick in orders too. We should get an inkling of the demand once Tesla ramps up their production for refreshed S & X.

Thoughts?
I just can't believe that bit about a "slow sunset path." The S and X will certainly have increased competition as other makes come on line, but I don't see them catching up with Tesla in terms of overall advancements and charging infrastructure. Range and on-the-road charging network are best in class now, and I doubt Tesla will fall behind in those elements - and if FSD ever became a reality, Tesla would be even more popular. I, for one, will order a new S to replace my 2020 Model 3 later in the year - but not the Plaid or Plaid +, as I value range over rocket-like acceleration.

My order for a Model S (LR) on 3/12 from San Diego, CA continues to show a delivery date estimate of 4-11 weeks.

Tesla recently installed some new Model S/X manufacturing equipment at their Fremont, CA plant. Also, while computer chip and part shortages are likely contributing to the wait, I'm wondering if Mr. Musk has planned some yet-to-be announced innovations for the Model S and X that will make the final release even more worthwhile. I'm looking forward to seeing the specs on the new models.

Hopefully we will get more clarity on refreshed Tesla S (LR) delivery dates on April 27 during Tesla's Q1 financial report phone call.

I ordered mine on March10 (from Overland Park, KS) and it is still says delivery in 10-14 weeks from date of order. Sooner the better as it is no fun being a passenger in my wife's ICE car.

My March Model S Plaid delivery has turned into a July estimate. Happy to wait patiently for a quality vehicle.

Me personally, I would have preferred that Tesla had already designed the car and been able to produce it before selling it to me and saying it would be ready in March. If you are offering people a reservation to buy a car of the future that still isn't ready for production, then that should be stated clearly on the website. When I bought the car, based on all the information available to me, I thought the reason the car wouldn't be delivered immediately is because I was in a line of people and there weren't enough cars available, not that Tesla wasn't yet ready to make it.

Reactions: Tigers
Me personally, I would have preferred that Tesla had already designed the car and been able to produce it before selling it to me and saying it would be ready in March. If you are offering people a reservation to buy a car of the future that still isn't ready for production, then that should be stated clearly on the website. When I bought the car, based on all the information available to me, I thought the reason the car wouldn't be delivered immediately is because I was in a line of people and there weren't enough cars available, not that Tesla wasn't yet ready to make it.
Would be ideal to have at least 2 lines so one can be updated at a time and people can still get the old version if they want...until the new line is 100% good.

• Funny
Reactions: doubleshot