Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Tesla Model X issues: frozen camera, brake fault, high voltage system fault, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you recommend to have separate service appointments for critical and other issues to help them process the information?
Yes. If there is a major issue, focus on the major issue and only the the major issue first. Don’t give them any wiggle room.

People lose focus if you dump everything on them and take the easiest path.

They see one issue that could be software and figure they can’t solve all this customers issues anyway and they “solved” something (by refereeing you the the OTA queue) and they bump you.

You give them an out by listing minor *sugar*.

My guess is that the software update will solve other overheating issues, not just supercharging or preconditioning scenarios. They never supply all the details. For instance in this case, they just highlighted a lagging display or blank backup camera. Anyone that has had the issue knows there are also tons of false warnings going off and the car has to be rebooted. They didn't go into that level of detail.

The reality is we won't know until they release the software update.

The proposed fix in the recall doesn’t actually fix the issue. On day two after the delivery, the issue occurred without charging or pre-heating just after a long trip.
Man, you need to STOP acting like you know everything.
You should talk directly to NTSA and Tesla engineers instead pouring your non sense statements over the internet. If they listened to you, then you would definitely a big help for Tesla customers.

Tesla Service has rescheduled my appointment for the 4th time to May 30. This is for multiple issues reported on March 26 on day two after the delivery. 4 parts need to be replaced. One was ordered only on April 18, one - on May 3, one - on May 6 and one still hasn't been ordered at all. None of the parts have arrived.

Last edited:
Not sure if related.

Tesla has issued a new over-the-air (OTA) recall to prevent the infotainment display from overheating in some of its vehicles. We use the words OTA recall since the fix will be a free software update that has already started rolling out to the fleet.

According to documents posted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website, the recall covers 129,960 Model S, Model 3, Model X, and Model Y cars. Despite the high number, Tesla estimates that only 1% of the subject population suffers from the issue.

That issue has to do with the car’s main display overheating when connected to a Supercharger, or when the battery is pre-conditioning on the way to a Supercharger.

“During fast-charging or preparation for fast-charging, the infotainment central processing unit (“CPU”) may not cool sufficiently to prevent higher than expected temperatures, which may cause the CPU to slow processing or restart. Slower processing or restarted processing could cause the center screen display to lag or appear blank,” Tesla explains in the recall explains.

My guess is that the software update will solve other overheating issues, not just supercharging or preconditioning scenarios. They never supply all the details. For instance in this case, they just highlighted a lagging display or blank backup camera. Anyone that has had the issue knows there are also tons of false warnings going off and the car has to be rebooted. They didn't go into that level of detail.

The reality is we won't know until they release the software update.
You replaced the computer, and this helped, but you think that the software update will solve the same problem. I don't follow the logic here. What's the version of firmware you had after the computer replacement?

In my opinion, there are three issues with computer overheating:
Issue #1. Overheating after pre-conditioning and supercharging. Tesla claimed in their recent recall that they fixed this in software update 2022.12.3.3.
Issue #2. Overheating in the cases that are not mentioned in the official recall text (I've seen all of them):
a) after long trips without charging;
b) when parked on the sun with the Sentry mode activated;
c) after charging at a low-voltage charger.
Issue #3. A design flaw that produces false faults, false sensor signals and false control input when the computer is throttled due to overheating. Overheating must never ever lead to the issues we've had. That's a pity that we have so many hardware and software experts here, and not many understand that. I hope they do not work for Tesla, at least.

The software update solves issue #1. The computer replacement solves issue #2. But issue #3 will not be triggered often after fixing issues #1 and #2 and will likely remain unfixed until the next generation of the computer (or will never be fixed at all).

In my opinion, there are three issues with computer overheating:
Issue #1. Overheating after pre-conditioning and supercharging. Tesla claimed in their recent recall that they fixed this in software update 2022.12.3.3.
Issue #2. Overheating in the cases that are not mentioned in the official recall text (I've seen all of them):
a) after long trips without charging;
b) when parked on the sun with the Sentry mode activated;
c) after charging at a low-voltage charger.
Issue #3. A design flaw that produces false faults, false sensor signals and false control input when the computer is throttled due to overheating. Overheating must never ever lead to the issues we've had. That's a pity that we have so many hardware and software experts here, and not many understand that. I hope they do not work for Tesla, at least.

The software update solves issue #1. The computer replacement solves issue #2. But issue #3 will not be triggered often after fixing issues #1 and #2 and will likely remain unfixed until the next generation of the computer (or will never be fixed at all).
Again, assuming facts not in evidence.

Got a mysterious message from NHTSA: "The following request has been completed for you: Request Investigation for Complaint." Not sure what this means. I hope they will move forward with the official investigation. Even Tesla admitted in their safety recall that the issue created an increased risk of a collision that affected 129,960 cars. But it currently doesn't look like a complete solution for all cases (including mine).

Tesla told NHTSA it was aware of 59 warranty claims received since January that may be related to the issue but no reports of crashes or injuries related to the issue.
Even in this thread, we've had a report of a minor accident (hitting a curb due to the malfunctioning of the backup camera). I'm aware of two possible major accidents that were avoided by the driver's actions.

Tesla replaced my car computer, similar to what was reported earlier in this thread. At least I have a new part that’s never overheated, given the new report that a firmware update is needed to fix this. I’m not going to test Supercharging until the new software drops. My service center never acknowledged the recall even when I asked. I’m wondering if most of them even know yet, even though it was communicated last week.

You replaced the computer, and this helped, but you think that the software update will solve the same problem. I don't follow the logic here. What's the version of firmware you had after the computer replacement?

I am running 2022.12.3.2 and I feel the new computer replacement fixed my issue (I'm cautiously optimistic). However, there is more than 1 way to solve an issue. It could be that some revisions of the car computer cool better than others. This is purely speculation. Replacing the car computer with a new revision has eliminated my issue (for at least 1 weekend trip anyway). But if software can be used to control the coolant flow or enhance cooling, this might be a solution as well. It would certainly be a cheaper solution for Tesla rather than replacing expensive car computers.

Look, I'm just speculating, but Tesla isn't going to announce a software update focused on CPU cooling if there isn't some truth to it.

Again, we will all need to wait and see once the update comes out.

BTW, I just checked and have a software update pending.

Reactions: bhzmark

You do realize the CAN Gateway in actually in the car computer module, right? The same car computer cooling system that is suffering from overheating. They are false errors and IMO are not coming from the various components/sensors throughout the car but are being triggered by an overheated car computer. If #1 and #2 are solved, I feel #3 is solved.

Reactions: bhzmark
Look, I'm just speculating, but Tesla isn't going to announce a software update focused on CPU cooling if there isn't some truth to it.
And they indeed haven't announced that 2022.12.3.3 solved the overheating issue that occurs without supercharging!

By the way, in the past, they already made an internal announcement that 2022.8.3 fixed the issue. But this wasn't the case.