Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Tesla Model X issues: frozen camera, brake fault, high voltage system fault, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do realize the CAN Gateway in actually in the car computer module, right? The same car computer cooling system that is suffering from overheating. They are false errors and IMO are not coming from the various components/sensors throughout the car but are being triggered by an overheated car computer. If #1 and #2 are solved, I feel #3 is solved.
Tesla stated in its official recall that overheating caused slow processing that caused other safety issues. It's also speculation, but it's more likely that the CAN Gateway didn't work correctly with the CPU that worked at the reduced frequency.

Even if this is not the case and the high temperature is a culprit, the high temperature didn't cause glitches in the computer in most cases. But the CAN Gateway glitched violently. This means that the CAN Gateway tolerates a much lower temperature than the computer. But it must tolerate the full range of temperatures that the computer module may produce to eliminate the possibility of such severe faults in principle. The CAN Gateway is a critical element of the computer module. It must fail last - not first! This is a car, for God's sake, not a gaming console.

In both cases, this is the kind of problem that goes into issue #3 ("design flaw"). It needs a separate fix in the hardware.

Also, the computer module should have control over the cooling system to cool itself when needed. Apparently, we didn't have that too. And, probably, still don't have it.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: nhaneezy
Yes, they might have solved or haven't solved the problem with controlling the cooling in the update. But my position from the beginning was that this wouldn't be enough. The CAN Gateway should never produce so many false faults, sensor and control signals. Especially, when the computer keeps operating without severe issues.

Sorry. Not trying to be a prick, but you really have no idea what you are talking about and come off like you are an expert on everything, when you have no clue. Move on and sell your car or do the lemon law thing.

With your attitude, you will never get a semblance of cooperation from service/support.

As a side note, I just had 2022.12.3.3 pushed to my car.

Last edited:
Sorry. Not trying to be a prick, but you really have no idea what you are talking about and come off like you are an expert on everything, when you have no clue.
So far, I was right on the following:
  • This is computer overheating.
  • This is CPU throttling.
  • A recall is needed.
  • This is a safety issue.
  • A huge number of cars was affected.
Just a little remained for Tesla to confirm:
  • The computer replacement is needed for issue #2 (when not charging).
  • An improvement in the hardware design is needed for issue #3 (to fix the CAN Gateway).

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: croman
So far, I was right on the following:
  • This is computer overheating.
  • This is CPU throttling.
  • A recall is needed.
  • This is a safety issue.
  • A huge number of cars was affected.
Just a little remained for Tesla to confirm:
  • The computer replacement is needed for issue #2 (when not charging).
  • An improvement in the hardware design is needed for issue #3 (to fix the CAN Gateway).
The issue people have is how much speculation is on this thread. I suspected overheating too since it happens only when fast charging for me, but ultimately it doesn’t matter what I think as Tesla has to diagnose the car. I’m very happy with my service center—the communication can sometimes be spotty but they always tried to make things right. I dropped my car off at 15%, had already had the remote tech review the logs, and they ordered the MCU ahead of time without even telling me. They verified my issue by Supercharging to 80% at the service center and taking a short test drive.

Just take your car in and they will replace the computer, especially if your issues persist past 2022.12.3.3. Seriously, you are making this a much bigger deal than it needs to be. Log the dates and times you have crashes, have them remote diagnose, and they will fix it. Complaining here over 19 pages of posts won’t get your car fixed any faster.

The issue people have is how much speculation is on this thread. I suspected overheating too since it happens only when fast charging for me, but ultimately it doesn’t matter what I think as Tesla has to diagnose the car. I’m very happy with my service center—the communication can sometimes be spotty but they always tried to make things right. I dropped my car off at 15%, had already had the remote tech review the logs, and they ordered the MCU ahead of time without even telling me. They verified my issue by Supercharging to 80% at the service center and taking a short test drive.

Just take your car in and they will replace the computer, especially if your issues persist past 2022.12.3.3. Seriously, you are making this a much bigger deal than it needs to be. Log the dates and times you have crashes, have them remote diagnose, and they will fix it. Complaining here over 19 pages of posts won’t get your car fixed any faster.
That hasn't been that easy in my case. I've had 5 appointments with them already, and they still haven't replaced the computer.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: laceyboy
datapoint: my refresh Model S that exhibited the same dyno-mode error assortment after backing up after supercharging also had the left camera view blocked on dark rural roads too.

The S only has 12.3.2 so still waiting for update.

My refresh X has 12.3.3 and never exhibited either problem (although I also never supercharged it yet)

datapoint: my refresh Model S that exhibited the same dyno-mode error assortment after backing up after supercharging also had the left camera view blocked on dark rural roads too.

The S only has 12.3.2 so still waiting for update.

My refresh X has 12.3.3 and never exhibited either problem (although I also never supercharged it yet)

I have been running 2022.12.3.3 for about 4 days and haven't experienced any issues.

However, this just highlights I haven't seen any new issues. It doesn't prove that 12.3.3 fixes all the craziness with overheating/supercharging since
1) I haven't taken any long trips or supercharged.
2) I have a new computer which might make testing 12.3.3 pointless for me.

I have been running 2022.12.3.3 for about 4 days and haven't experienced any issues.

However, this just highlights I haven't seen any new issues. It doesn't prove that 12.3.3 fixes all the craziness with overheating/supercharging since
1) I haven't taken any long trips or supercharged.
2) I have a new computer which might make testing 12.3.3 pointless for me.
Please do not confuse people. You're are running a new computer that resolved the issue - not 2022.12.3.3.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
Tesla wants my car for week-long testing in exchange for a new computer. Do you recommend agreeing to such strange conditions for a simple repair?

They're telling that the testing is needed after the computer replacement and not before it. They also know that the issue is 100% reproducible within 2 hours.

I have two versions explaining this:
  • Their engineers want to use my car to investigate the issue and the fix. They told me that they were in direct communication with Tesla engineers.
  • They want to eliminate the possibility of reoccurrence of the issue after the repair. They may want that to reduce the chances that I use the Lemons law. But I won't use it anyway because I can trade in that car for more than I paid (I had a ~$40,000 discount).

Last edited:
Hi @mr-dmitry ,

Hell yes... (sorry)

Your car may have additional unique conditions that may or may not
be resolved by the new computer and/or the software fix. Maybe a kink
or unique bend in the cooling tubing...

They will be able to investigate and communicate with the engineering
team to examine as many facets of the problem(s) as possible.

You have made it clear that you are not happy driving the car as it is.
You have an opportunity to help to resolve the problem.
If their time with your car is not fruitful you will be adding to your
count toward "lemon" days.

Good luck,

Shawn

Tesla wants my car for week-long testing in exchange for a new computer. Do you recommend agreeing to such strange conditions for a simple repair?

They're telling that the testing is needed after the computer replacement and not before it. They also know that the issue is 100% reproducible within 2 hours.

• Their engineers want to use my car to investigate the issue and the fix. They told me that they were in direct communication with Tesla engineers.
  • They want to eliminate the possibility of reoccurrence of the issue after the repair. They may want that to reduce the chances that I use the Lemons law. But I won't use it anyway because I can trade in that car for more than I paid (I had a ~$40,000 discount).
Yes, give it to them. My guess is that they really want to make it right for you based on your feedback to them.

Reactions: jc368 and mr-dmitry
That was what they told me. Though I responded that I prefer to test it myself. So, if they wanted to do what was best for me, they would listen to my preference. That's why I was confused about their true motives.
I assume they don't want to give it back to you, have you test and find an issue and return it, have to spend time working on it again, etc. Ideally they get it right and they return it to you. That's normal customer service. Having a customer test a fix is not. That's poor customer service.

I'm not saying I think Tesla has great customer service; my original X was in the shop for over 8 weeks in the first 12 we owned it. I should have lemoned that car, but they did get it right eventually. I just think, based on your postings here and your general state of mind about this issue, that Tesla is probably not wanting to go back and forth with you as it would be likely to agitate you. Give it to them, let them try to get it right.

FWIW, set your expectations accordingly; they may well not get it perfect first time around, even after a week. But I've had them keep my car for a week for much more minor things than the computer.

I'm not saying I think Tesla has great customer service; my original X was in the shop for over 8 weeks in the first 12 we owned it.
This is so ineffective... When I went to a VW service, they had dozens of brand new free loaner cars there parked near the service. And when I went to a Tesla service, they had zero loaner cars and dozens of broken cars waiting for weeks for the repair. Feel the difference :( Also, I've had dozens of repairs in VW and Audi services, including reaching inside the engine, and they have always been done the same day.

I suggest you keep driving your broken car forever and fixing it yourself. Just kidding.

Seriously speaking, give them the car so they can fix it. Demand a loaner (even if its an ICE from a rental company). And most importantly, move on once they fix it. It's only a car and it seems to be occupying way too much of your mental space.

Tesla replaced my computer after reviewing my logs and testing it on site. It took more than a day for them to do my replacement (likely due to staffing). I was out of my car for 2 business days.

I suggest you keep driving your broken car forever and fixing it yourself. Just kidding.

Seriously speaking, give them the car so they can fix it. Demand a loaner (even if its an ICE from a rental company). And most importantly, move on once they fix it. It's only a car and it seems to be occupying way too much of your mental space.

Tesla replaced my computer after reviewing my logs and testing it on site. It took more than a day for them to do my replacement (likely due to staffing). I was out of my car for 2 business days.
My question was not about fixing or not fixing the car, but about the choices I have. For example, if it were any other manufacturer, I could simply go to another service center and fix it in hours. But we Tesla, they choose the service center, and the service center dictates such ridiculous conditions for the repair.