Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Tesla Model X issues: frozen camera, brake fault, high voltage system fault, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get it. I’m sure it’s frustrating. But if the goal is lemon law, let them keep it and burn the time.

Again, I get it must be frustrating.
The goal is not the Lemons law because I have a huge discount on the order (about $40,000). But two months have passed, and they have broken their deadlines 8 times already. This is just ridiculous and must end.

The goal is not the Lemons law because I have a huge discount on the order (about $40,000). But two months have passed, and they have broken their deadlines 8 times already. This is just ridiculous and must end.
World you sign a document stating that you did the diagnosis and wouldn't count this as a repair attempt if replacing the computer didn't completely resolve the issues?

World you sign a document stating that you did the diagnosis and wouldn't count this as a repair attempt if replacing the computer didn't completely resolve the issues?
They're greedy about car computers because they want to produce more malfunctioning cars and earn more money. But I think in my case, they just want to study the malfunctioning car. Their goal is not the repair. Their goal is to study it.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I'm paying for this

Unless you are paying for a rental car/ICE and putting gas into it, exactly how are you paying for this? Any work that Tesla is doing would surely be covered under warranty right? I suppose you could make a case that you are paying insurance and loan installments for a car you cannot drive at the moment perhaps.

They're greedy about car computers because they want to produce more malfunctioning cars and earn more money. But I think in my case, they just want to study the malfunctioning car. Their goal is not the repair. Their goal is to study it.

I stand by my prior statement that your car is somewhat unique. Assuming they are doing what they should be, they are attempting to figure out exactly why your car is not working. It would be wasteful for them to replace the computer and not have the issue be resolved especially if the computer is just a symptom and not the cause.

Also, their investigation may lead to an actual (not firmware related) recall so let them do their thing within reason. If it starts to really drag on (e.g. 30+ days in the shop) then I would just push for a buyback at that point.

Unless you are paying for a rental car/ICE and putting gas into it, exactly how are you paying for this? Any work that Tesla is doing would surely be covered under warranty right? I suppose you could make a case that you are paying insurance and loan installments for a car you cannot drive at the moment perhaps.
I've paid almost $20,000 for the car so far, and it was working properly only 1 day after the purchase in March. I reported the issue on day 2. And it's still not resolved.
I stand by my prior statement that your car is somewhat unique. Assuming they are doing what they should be, they are attempting to figure out exactly why your car is not working. It would be wasteful for them to replace the computer and not have the issue be resolved especially if the computer is just a symptom and not the cause.

Also, their investigation may lead to an actual (not firmware related) recall so let them do their thing within reason. If it starts to really drag on (e.g. 30+ days in the shop) then I would just push for a buyback at that point.
Thank you for sharing your opinion and advice.

Just a little update. So it's been a week since I received the car back. All of the issues seem like they're gone and haven't been able to reproduce them. Haven't used a super charger yet. But I've taken it on 3-4 hour road trip with no issues. Although I am still receiving turn signal fault warning. Car drives like a dream.

Spoke with my neighbor that took delivery same day as I did. He mentioned he had the same exact issues after using a super charger and testing out the video games. He took his into the service center. And they diagnosed his with a faulty right pillar camera. Once it was fixed and recalibrated. All his issues are now gone too. He also receives faulty signal warning from time to time.

you can try getting your car back and taking it to a different service center. It seems like there's some owners with this issue that have had it fixed. If you're truly unhappy you could lemon law if they've kept your car for over 30 days.

Reactions: jc368
Once, driving on an empty freeway at 80 mph, my brand new Model X beeped two times, didn't show any messages, and then suddenly tried to steer out of the freeway to a ditch along it. Without a fast reaction, this could even kill us all. Likely, this was a false accident avoidance maneuver. It could be caused by a false signal from proximity sensors or by a failure of Autosteering on Autopilot. The response of the Tesla Service was to charge me for $69 plus tax for saying that this was normal. This is all they have done for the first week with the car.

I think they treated you as a special customer
That's easier to blame the customer instead of believing that their car may have so many issues. But they have the logs for dozens of different faults and errors that occurred in the car (see the first message in this thread - it lists most of them). And I even have a dashcam video of that incident with a false accident avoidance maneuver that they want me now to pay them for.

Last edited: