Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Tesla Model X issues: frozen camera, brake fault, high voltage system fault, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I too have had this issue and it has progressively gotten better with all of the updates. When my plaid was delivered I was on the 2021.103.xxx. On this version while preconditioning for supercharging I could activate my camera and it would start to trigger everything(faults, errors,etc). I dealt with this and logged a service appointment. In the mean time I received 2022.8.3 which helped but did not resolve all issues. I no longer had faults and errors while charging but I did notice that my external temp display fluctuated from accurate to null. Upon unplugging my vehicle would flash errors and force reboot itself.

Last week I received 2022.12.1 and all problems are gone! I have depleted my battery multiple time and always precondition on my way to the charger. I took multiple 1hr+ trips and always experienced a normal charging curve. Charged from a depth of 14% to 90% multiple times. So I only have a sample size of 4 now but I have experienced zero issues when previously I would have a plethora of issues 100% of the time I supercharged. Prior to this update I have never had a trouble free charging session.

Hey all,

I too have had this issue and it has progressively gotten better with all of the updates. When my plaid was delivered I was on the 2021.103.xxx. On this version while preconditioning for supercharging I could activate my camera and it would start to trigger everything(faults, errors,etc). I dealt with this and logged a service appointment. In the mean time I received 2022.8.3 which helped but did not resolve all issues. I no longer had faults and errors while charging but I did notice that my external temp display fluctuated from accurate to null. Upon unplugging my vehicle would flash errors and force reboot itself.

Last week I received 2022.12.1 and all problems are gone! I have depleted my battery multiple time and always precondition on my way to the charger. I took multiple 1hr+ trips and always experienced a normal charging curve. Charged from a depth of 14% to 90% multiple times. So I only have a sample size of 4 now but I have experienced zero issues when previously I would have a plethora of issues 100% of the time I supercharged. Prior to this update I have never had a trouble free charging session.
Thank you for sharing your story! But I can assure you that software updates did not help you. Most of the issues that I experienced occurred on 2022.12.1. There is another unknown factor that actually contributed to the reduced rate of reoccurrence of the issue in your car.

That's so unbelievable that Tesla is just updating the failing cars without doing a proper investigation of the issue and without applying an actual fix. I'm close to just trading in that piece of *** back to Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Thank you for sharing your story! But I can assure you that software updates did not help you. Most of the issues that I experienced occurred on 2022.12.1. There is another unknown factor that actually contributed to the reduced rate of reoccurrence of the issue in your car.

That's so unbelievable that Tesla is just updating the failing cars without doing a proper investigation of the issue and without applying an actual fix. I'm close to just trading in that piece of *** back to Tesla.
It’s not necessarily a “reduced rate”I went from 100% reproducibility to 0%. I will definitely keep an eye on it but I can tell you that software “can” fix a lot of these issues. Based on looking at @BamaATL ’s issues, your issues, and my own issues, it seems like even our issues manifest in different ways. I also saw it mentioned that 2022.8.3 resolved the issue for some. Having a software engineering background, I can tell you the symptoms can be caused by more than just overheating. With some of the other software glitches we have seen on the refreshed models, this could even be a memory leak issue.

All in all, this type of issue in software or silicon can sometimes only be seen at scale and may manifest differently for differ vehicles. Should we be dealing with this NO! This is completely unacceptable! Is Tesla trying to fix this through software which may plug a memory leak or adjust the thermal profile, yes!

Also, I have never experienced errors unless I was at or headed to a supercharger. I mostly charge at home an have had no issues. When the errors did occur in the past they never stopped me from driving and sensors were actually working. Just like Bama a quick reboot and it all went away. As stated it seems like we all have/had similar but different issues.

Not trying to argue with you just wanted to provide context regarding my issues and what I have observed from others

I can assure you that software updates did not help you.
I can assure you that you need to take a breath and chill out.

Stick to sharing just actual facts and literally what happened and especially what Tesla service says before jumping to believing your suspicions.

Really -- try just starting all over, with limiting yourself to only reporting exactly and precisely what happened including relevant background facts.

Also give one more number on your vin if you expect to be sharing useful vin info.

It sure feels like whoever is suggesting that this is a computer heat issue doesn't understand how electronics work? An insufficiently cooled processor or one with too high of a compute load will overheat on the time scale of seconds\minutes, not the hours it takes to make a long road trip. Similarly they will cool down in seconds\minutes once the compute load is removed. The symptoms and reproduction steps seems more like a slow memory leak issue, or a lookup table\data structure that is continually growing in size.

It sure feels like whoever is suggesting that this is a computer heat issue doesn't understand how electronics work? An insufficiently cooled processor or one with too high of a compute load will overheat on the time scale of seconds\minutes, not the hours it takes to make a long road trip. Similarly they will cool down in seconds\minutes once the compute load is removed. The symptoms and reproduction steps seems more like a slow memory leak issue, or a lookup table\data structure that is continually growing in size.

No. I don't think either of those scenarios is the case. A few additional data points for you. It only takes a long time to reproduce initially on a trip. After the issue occurs and the car is rebooted, the issue is cleared, however it can be reproduced almost immediately afterwards by bringing up the backup camera. This would indicate it is not a slow memory leak or something in memory that builds up over time.

Having said that, as I stated previously, I'm not sold on it being heat related.

One additional comment, the suggestion that it is heat related is coming from Tesla, not users of this group.

What can I do if I have the "computer overheating issue"?​

We suggest considering the following options. Please let us know what you think.
  • Due to the severity of the problem and high risks to the drivers, passengers and other people, we suggest requesting NHTSA to issue an immediate recall of all refreshed Tesla Model X until the actual cause of the issue is identified and a proven fix is offered.
  • Due to the severity of the problem and high risks to the drivers, passengers and other people, we suggest requesting all states to terminate the registration of all registered Tesla Model X until the actual cause of the issue is identified and a proven fix is offered.
  • For owners who financed or leased the car through Tesla Financing Services, we suggest requesting to pause due payments until the actual cause of the issue is identified and a proven fix is offered.
  • For all owners of the refreshed Model X, we suggest requesting Tesla to offer a return window. Those who decide to return the car must be able to purchase another car of any model using prices that were active at the moment of the original order of the refreshed Model X. Their order must be placed at the begging of the waiting line by Tesla.
  • Owners with the confirmed issue can take individual action in court against Tesla with the suggested compensation of $1,000,000 for every driver and passenger who used the car on long trips for endangering their lives.
  • Owners with the confirmed issue can take class action in court against Tesla with the suggested compensation fund of $1,000,000,000 for endangering the lives of the drivers and passengers who used the car on long trips. If you know a lawyer with previous experience winning class actions, please share their contacts.
Who is the "WE" that you keep referring to? You last bullet point......you are a software engineer giving legal advise? Not sure of your credibility.

I have this issue, but it only occurs during preconditioning for Supercharging or Supercharging itself. I have not had it happen on routine drives in town. The car is still 100% usable and the issue resolves with a reboot.

I also have the seat restraint fault, the car in service right now. They replaced the body control module, but this did not solve the issue. Apparently Tesla engineering is aware of the restraint fault and claim it will be fixed in the next firmware (2022.12.3). Not sure if this will fix the Supercharging issue--I sent multiple videos to my service center and they want to wait to see if the next firmware fixes it. I'm fine with this, the more data we collect and send Tesla, the more likely they are to find out what the issue is. I am certain Engineering is aware of the issues detailed in this thread. I just wish they communicated better with local service centers, who will be getting all the service calls from customers.

Does everyone with the Supercharging screen glitches also have the seat restraint fault?

I have a 2022 X LR, VIN is 336XXX.

I have this issue, but it only occurs during preconditioning for Supercharging or Supercharging itself. I have not had it happen on routine drives in town. The car is still 100% usable and the issue resolves with a reboot.

I also have the seat restraint fault, the car in service right now. They replaced the body control module, but this did not solve the issue. Apparently Tesla engineering is aware of the restraint fault and claim it will be fixed in the next firmware (2022.12.3). Not sure if this will fix the Supercharging issue--I sent multiple videos to my service center and they want to wait to see if the next firmware fixes it. I'm fine with this, the more data we collect and send Tesla, the more likely they are to find out what the issue is. I am certain Engineering is aware of the issues detailed in this thread. I just wish they communicated better with local service centers, who will be getting all the service calls from customers.

Does everyone with the Supercharging screen glitches also have the seat restraint fault?

I have a 2022 X LR, VIN is 336XXX.

My guess is the seat restraint fault and the "other" issues are not specifically related. Many people without the supercharging/backup camera issue are having the seat restraint issue. I do believe the seat restraint issue is software related and was introduced in 2022.8.3. I never had the seat restraint fault/error until I took 2022.8.3 so I feel pretty confident they will resolve via software.

Reactions: aus1ander
The car is still 100% usable and the issue resolves with a reboot.
Unfortunately, this is not true. I had a series of 4 overheating issues during 1 hour. Only a prolonged cooldown resolved the issue for the next two hours. Then it re-occurred again.

It’s also not true that the car is 100% usable. I had false input from physical controls and a not responding car even on the restart command.

Just trigger the issue more frequently by using your car for long trips - and you’ll experience the full severity of the issue. The issue doesn’t affect those you only drive short distances.

Unfortunately, this is not true. I had a series of 4 overheating issues during 1 hour. Only a prolonged cooldown resolved the issue for the next two hours. Then it re-occurred again.

There may be multiple scenarios going on here.

I agree with @aus1ander, mine is fully/100% usable after a reboot. My reboot = Scroll Wheels + Brake.
The issue doesn't appear again until I supercharge or put car in reverse and bring up backup camera.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
The issue doesn't appear again until I supercharge or put car in reverse and bring up backup camera.
In your case, the issue didn’t even disappear - you were just not aware of it. Look at the temperature indicator - it will be faulty all the time between switching the car in reverse. That’s a good indicator of the “computer overheating” issue.

In your case, the issue didn’t even disappear - you were just not aware of it. Look at the temperature indicator - it will be faulty all the time between switching the car in reverse. That’s a good indicator of the “computer overheating” issue.

Sorry, but that's not accurate at all. I understand you have a certain situation and you feel you know everything about your situation. It may not be the same for everyone. It is not the same for me.

I went through an entire weekend of traveling from Atlanta to beach and back. I was in contact with Tesla support on and off all weekend. A hard reboot for me cleared all errors. Tesla confirmed it by looking at the logs. It was not dangerous to drive and I did not have lingering errors or warnings after the reboot. My temperature indicator went back to normal after a hard reboot.

However if I ever went into reverse, the same issue occurred.

Are you simply rebooting or are you trying a hard reboot?

Sorry, but that's not accurate at all. I understand you have a certain situation and you feel you know everything about your situation. It may not be the same for everyone. It is not the same for me.

I went through an entire weekend of traveling from Atlanta to beach and back. I was in contact with Tesla support on and off all weekend. A hard reboot for me cleared all errors. Tesla confirmed it by looking at the logs. It was not dangerous to drive and I did not have lingering errors or warnings after the reboot. My temperature indicator went back to normal after a hard reboot.

However if I ever went into reverse, the same issue occurred.
I agree, this thread is a little over the top. If the OP thinks there is a serious issue with his car, take it back to Tesla and ask them to buy it back or reverse the sale. My car is still drivable and the glitches are just more annoying than anything else. I suspect this will be solved 1 of two ways -- replacing a defective computing or liquid cooling component, or through firmware update. For the sake of simplicity, I am hoping it will be solved through SW.

Reactions: jc368
Are you simply rebooting or are you trying a hard reboot?
As you can see in the original message in this thread, I recommended to use a hard reboot only - it clears more errors than a soft reboot (e.g. steering assist reduced).

My experience was very close to yours - after a reboot, the car operates normally for a short period of time if not cooled down, or for the next 2 hours if cooled down. But in the first case, the temperature indicator wasn't stable indicating the lingering issue.

Also, I want to reconfirm that all issues mentioned in this thread actually occurred to my car due to the "computer overheating issue".

As you can see in the original message in this thread, I recommended to use a hard reboot only - it clears more errors than a soft reboot (e.g. steering assist reduced).

My experience was very close to yours - after a reboot, the car operates normally for a short period of time if not cooled down, or for the next 2 hours if cooled down. But in the first case, the temperature indicator wasn't stable indicating the lingering issue.

Also, I want to reconfirm that all issues mentioned in this thread actually occurred to my car due to the "computer overheating issue".

Where are you located or where have you been driving? What is average temp this time of year?

Where are you located or where have you been driving? What is average temp this time of year?
The Bay Area in California. The last time the issue occurred was when driving down from the mountains at 40ºC. I also noticed an interesting detail - after supercharging, the occurred issue and a reboot, the car turned on a loud cooling system in the frunk. The most interesting moment here is that there was no noise from the cooling system before the reboot. But I think that cooling system was unrelated to the computer because the car kept failing until I cooled down the computer as described in the original post in this thread.

Well this is the one of the most nonsense posts I've seen here in a while.

Let's be clear about one important thing: The "computer" (ie, the infotainment system) doesn't have the capability of causing actual control issues with the vehicle besides things that must be controlled via the touchscreen (more of an issue with Tesla's decision to remove physical controls on the 3/Y/Plaid than anything, IMO, but I digress).

First, I'm not convinced any of this has anything to do with "overheating". Second, charging to 100% has nothing to do with the infotainment computer and will have nothing to with it overheating or not. That's an automatic red flag that the OP has no idea what they're talking about.

Let's debunk.

• False input from physical controls (a severe accident leading to severe injuries or death may occur)

This is pretty outrageous. Nothing the infotainment setup does or doesn't do can EVER lead to a problem with physical controls. You press the accelerator, the car will go if capable, you press the brake it will stop, etc. This is complete nonsense.

• Frozen camera (extreme risk of an accident when relying on the outdated feed from the camera)

First, if you're relying solely on the rearview camera when backing up... well, there's some words I could use to describe you and they're not flattering.

Second, this is a bit of an issue on MCU2, Model 3/Y, and Plaid since the rear camera is software driven on these vehicles instead of being a hardware-enabled overlay directly to the screen like on MCU1 S/X vehicles. I think this was a bad design choice, but, I also think the safety risk related to this is blown out of proportion... again, mainly because the rear camera is an aid and shouldn't be required for safely reversing the vehicle. If you can't do so without it, you need to learn how to be a better driver.

• Brake fault (can't drive)
Lie. Brakes have nothing whatsoever to do with infotainment components.

• High voltage system fault (can't charge)
Nothing whatsoever to do with the infotainment computer.

• Park brake fault (parking brake functions degraded)

• Turned off computer not responding on the restart command (access inside the car may be impossible)
I mean, if the infotainment system is broken.... then, ok... maybe it won't restart?

The "access inside the car may be impossible" this is nonsense, as the infotainment setup has nothing to do with key functionality or lock/unlock functionality. This is handled by the BCM and SEC modules.

• Steering assist reduced (steering may require increased or inconsistent effort)

• Black side cameras (can't use Autopilot, driver-assistance and active-safety features)
Viewing cameras on AP2+ vehicles all handled by software. If there's an issue with the computer, then sure you won't be able to see them. Oh well?

Autopilot activation depends on the infotainment setup being online, but the AP active safety features have nothing to do with it on any AP vehicle (AP1 onward).

If you can't view the side cameras and can't engage autopilot I have a solution for you and some things to point out: Your vehicle has windows. Look out them! And a steering wheel. And an accelerator pedal. And um, also brakes.... can use those too!

• Dyno mode enabled (can't drive)
Dyno mode...... I'm not even sure what this has to do with the computer at all. And even if somehow your car ended up in dyno mode, you could still technically drive.

• Powertrain requires service (speed and power may be limited)
??? Nothing whatsoever to do with the infotainment computer.
  • Air suspension requires service (suspension may not be level)
Air suspension is handled by an entirely separate module and.... Nothing whatsoever to do with the infotainment computer.
  • False closed-door indicator when the door is open (check the doors visually)
This just seems like a bullet point for the sake of a bullet point. Ok sure, if the infotainment system is frozen it might freeze showing doors in positions not related to reality. Who cares? If you're driving a vehicle, you should also have at least one working eyeball.

• Not working outside temperature indicator (severe issues usually follow promptly)
The outside air temp sensor reports to the thermal control module and.... Nothing whatsoever to do with the infotainment computer. Sure, could misreport if the computer is frozen, but.... again, how is this a "severe issue"?

• Uncontrolled software behavior, e.g. staring playback, increasing the volume to 100%, uncontrolled windows and alerts
This sounds like nonsense. But, ok... broken computer behaves like a broken computer.... safety issue? Nope.

• False and missing navigation instructions while using Navigate on Autopilot
Last I knew, NoA used its own maps and such, so no actual safety issue here. (NoA is pretty pointless anyway, but, I digress again).

• Variety of charging errors
Charging has nothing to do with the infotainment computer.

• Spontaneous error beeps of different sounds
Yep, this one's going to be the killer. My car killed me from sudden beeps. /s
  • Sudden computer restarts

Ok?

Again, the infotainment computer has nothing whatsoever to do with any safety critical systems.

The car will still drive normally. Turn signals, lights, etc will work normally, etc etc. You're not going to die because the infotainment computer crashes. The whole design of the system makes the infotainment system non-critical.

When it has issues: Yes, it's annoying. Yes, it's irritating. Yes, it's frustrating.

But it's not a safety issue.

Stop trying to make a huge deal out of nothing.

A few screenshots for unbelievers. They do not show all errors. When the car shows that it's not safe to drive (e.g. a brake fault), you can't know for sure if it's an erroneous fault message or a true fault. I would never drive with such an error. And just a reboot wasn't a proper solution because the errors promptly reoccured, getting worse over time - up to false input from physical controls and a non-responsive computer that didn't even restart.

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 10.51.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 10.42.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 10.42.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 10.41.42 AM.png

Last edited: