Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Tesla Model X issues: frozen camera, brake fault, high voltage system fault, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator Note: I have done a slight renaming of the thread, and have made a tiny edit to the OP - I moved the section about why it's being called a "computer overheating issue" to the very top, before the description of the owner's issues, so that readers understand this is the specific owner's terminology based on a discussion with a Tesla Service technician.

Kudos.

With that, I'm unsubbing from this thread. Someone ping me if my further input is helpful.

A few screenshots for unbelievers. They do not show all errors. When the car shows that it's not safe to drive (e.g. a brake fault), you can't know for sure if it's an erroneous fault message or a true fault. I would never drive with such an error. And just a reboot wasn't a proper solution because the errors promptly reoccured, getting worse over time - up to false input from physical controls and a non-responsive computer that didn't even restart.

View attachment 795408

View attachment 795405

View attachment 795407

View attachment 795406
These errors seem to span across all systems in the vehicle. Maybe the data getting reported to the infotainment is corrupted. Grounding problems also seem to cause all sorts of weird issues.

Who is the we/us you are referring to here? Do you represent a law firm that is looking to start a law suit?
We are united owners who got cars delivered with this issue who had multiple service appointments that didn't resolve the issue despite claims by the Tesla technicians that they did.

For example, in my case, I discovered the issue the next day after the car got delivered. They claimed that they resolved the issue, but they didn't. Tesla employees also claimed multiple times that it was safe to drive with a brake fault and other mentioned severe faults. This looks to me like an egregious endangerment of my life and the lives of my family.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Haven’t watched the videos.
Did see an empty exterior temp and some intermittent brake error lghts while driving after picking up my car, rebooted while driving and no trouble since. Did not have opportunity to check backup camera around that time. Car built mid March.
Charge the car to 100% and take a long trip until you use almost all the charge.
At very low states of charge the 12 volt battery has not been recharged for a while but is still running in-car systems so I don’t recommend doing this (do what I say…).
the rear camera is an aid and shouldn't be required for safely reversing the vehicle
To be fair, the rear camera is a mandated safety feature so failure would get the attention of NHTSA.

To be fair, the rear camera is a mandated safety feature so failure would get the attention of NHTSA.
Agree with you. Thank you for the hint. Reported to NHTSA. By the way, I wouldn't do that and wouldn't even create this thread if Tesla did enough to resolve the issue. But they are just wasting time and using us as Guinea pigs to test not-working "solutions" to the problem.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark and wk057
The uncontrolled software behavior is worth special attention. It led to the spontaneous start of playback and increase of the volume that was faster than what the driver (me) could input to counteract. This might be a sign of false input from the physical controls of the car that couldn’t be counteracted by the driver. And this is really concerning, at least to me.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark and wk057
At very low states of charge the 12 volt battery has not been recharged for a while but is still running in-car systems so I don’t recommend doing this (do what I say…).
Building on this point, I would be extremely curious to hear if @mr-dmitry is able to reproduce any of these issues when the exact same experiment is done, only with 10% as the battery minimum before supercharging. I may try it myself this weekend.

Building on this point, I would be extremely curious to hear if @mr-dmitry is able to reproduce any of these issues when the exact same experiment is done, only with 10% as the battery minimum before supercharging. I may try it myself this weekend.
By using almost all charge I meant going down to 20% (the yellow zone). But I was able to reproduce the issue even with 60% of charge left. It's just more likely to do so when you use all the charge because the car is being driven for longer.

I've not seen any correlation with state of charge. I've started Supercharging at 30%, 50%, and 70% and it happens every time, as long as the car battery is warm and preconditioning for fast charging. 2022.12.3 is out now (its going to download to my car tonight) so I will see if this fixes this issue for me. Won't be able to really test it out until next week.

2 hours, 100 miles.
What happens for you if you dont drive 2 hrs? Does none of this happen? Not even the temp gauge? In my tests to confirm it was no longer an issue "for me' I drove 90 miles on one trial and drove down to 7% on another trial and always used preconditioning.

Also for you questing a bit back. Crashing and odd behavior can also happen to a cpu when there is a memory leak, buffer fills, fluctuations in voltage, etc.

I've not seen any correlation with state of charge. I've started Supercharging at 30%, 50%, and 70% and it happens every time, as long as the car battery is warm and preconditioning for fast charging. 2022.12.3 is out now (its going to download to my car tonight) so I will see if this fixes this issue for me. Won't be able to really test it out until next week.

I agree with this. Charging state / %battery has nothing to do with whether I had the issue. For me anyway, it took about 1-1.5 hours of driving. At that point I could reproduce any time I put car in reverse and backup camera came up. Backup video was clear and smooth for about 3 seconds. The video would then freeze and become choppy. At this point most things are hosed up. No internet, GPS position updated every 10 seconds, same warnings/errors as others have stated. Car was functional. The errors were not valid. For instance I had false flat tire warnings, etc.

For me a hard reboot cleared everything. I could drive for hours with no issue, until I stopped and brought up backup cam again.

I logged many bug reports that Tesla support was tracking. On the down side, they told me today that 2022.12.3 would most likely not solve my problem but wanted me to try and report back.

Reactions: jc368
For my issues(that was resolved in 2022.12.1) I could literally precondition to get to the supercharger that is 20 miles away and I would experience a plethora of issues. Now this does not happen and I have went on 90 mile trips uphill while preconditioning with no problems charging. Downloading 12.3 now, hopefully nothing comes back lol

Reactions: jc368
For my issues(that was resolved in 2022.12.1) I could literally precondition to get to the supercharger that is 20 miles away and I would experience a plethora of issues. Now this does not happen and I have went on 90 mile trips uphill while preconditioning with no problems charging. Downloading 12.3 now, hopefully nothing comes back lol
Are you in some beta program? My car has a much older version 2022.3.102.1