Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Tesla Model X issues: frozen camera, brake fault, high voltage system fault, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I'll know for sure this weekend after my trip. I have been easily able to reproduce on all my trips so far on 2022.8.3 & 2022.12.1. Have not tested on 2022.12.3.1 yet. I'll be shocked but pleasantly surprised if I don't see the issue this weekend.
One can’t treat cancer with words and one can’t fix hardware issues with a software update. The fanatical believe of many Tesla users in the power of software is quite remarkable.

Stop your unjustified negativity. There are at least 4 ways how to reset the car, and they produce different results. Not all of them resolve all the issues caused by the computer overheating.

If I'm honest, I feel you set yourself up for these type of comments. On numerous posts you are correcting people (basically telling them they are wrong) and claiming you are a computer engineer and how complicated these things are. Maybe you don't know it, but you are talking down to people you don't know and have no clue of their background. Many Tesla owners are very technical and come from the software dev space, me included. There is a high probability that many of us have much more experience in the field than you do.

If I'm honest, I feel you set yourself up for these type of comments. On numerous posts you are correcting people (basically telling them they are wrong) and claiming you are a computer engineer and how complicated these things are. Maybe you don't know it, but you are talking down to people you don't know and have no clue of their background. Many Tesla owners are very technical and come from the software dev space, me included. There is a high probability that many of us have much more experience in the field than you do.
Agreed. There is also a high likelihood that none of us know the exact solution to this problem. It could be solved with firmware. It could be a bad module somewhere in the car. Only Tesla can figure this out so we need to keep reporting it and bugging service until a solution is found.

Have you ever tested overheated CPU and GPU modules? I have. And I can confirm that they behave similarly to the Tesla cars described in this thread. At least two Tesla Services think the same. But you're trying to portray me as a bad guy here anyway.

No software should ever overheat hardware unless there is a hardware issue - poor cooling or a malfunctioning cooling system. There is a small chance that a firmware update may improve the cooling. Or it can decrease the performance by switching off some cores or reducing the frequency. Anything else requires a hardware solution.

Last edited:
Agreed. There is also a high likelihood that none of us know the exact solution to this problem. It could be solved with firmware. It could be a bad module somewhere in the car. Only Tesla can figure this out so we need to keep reporting it and bugging service until a solution is found.
My first guess was the computer module replacement. At least two technicians at two Tesla Services thought the same. So, there is a high likelihood that some of us know the exact solution. But due to the slow repair process by Tesla Service, we haven't confirmed this yet. That's why I fully support those states that forbid Tesla to sell their cars directly to the customers. Dictatorship is never good.

Last edited:
Have you ever tested overheated CPU and GPU modules? I have. And I can confirm that they behave similarly to the Tesla cars described in this thread. At least two Tesla Services think the same. But you're trying to portray me as a bad guy here anyway.

No software should ever overheat hardware unless there is a hardware issue - poor cooling or a malfunctioning cooling system. There is a small chance that a firmware update may improve the cooling. Or it can decrease the performance by switching off some cores or reducing the frequency. Anything else requires a hardware solution.

Wow. You are clearly not reading my messages. I am not portraying you as a bad guy. I am trying to give you advice regarding how to treat people before you insult anyone else.

For the record I have not claimed that this is not a heat issue. So you are arguing with the wrong person.

And finally to answer your question, yes, I have tested overheated processors. I actually overheated them on purpose via software ironically enough. I worked for Intel as a Principal Engineer for 11 years. So just please stop.

I am not portraying you as a bad guy.
But somehow you downvoted several posts clearly showing that you disagreed with them.

I am trying to give you advice regarding how to treat people before you insult anyone else.

I'd appreciate it if you were more specific. We have very nice and attentive moderators here, and I haven't been punished for any insults yet.

For the record I have not claimed that this is not a heat issue. So you are arguing with the wrong person.

And finally to answer your question, yes, I have tested overheated processors. I actually overheated them on purpose via software ironically enough. I worked for Intel as a Principal Engineer for 11 years. So just please stop.
That's a good moment for supporting this theory at least as a possibility instead of downvoting the messages describing it.

Instead of arguing, we were supposed to unite here against how Tesla is currently handling this issue, not considering it urgent, not offering a working solution and just using us as Guinea pigs for testing some ideas once a month.

But somehow you downvoted several posts clearly showing that you disagreed with them.

I'd appreciate it if you were more specific. We have very nice and attentive moderators here, and I haven't been punished for any insults yet.

That's a good moment for supporting this theory at least as a possibility instead of downvoting the messages describing it.
You might want to go back and look at your previous messages. You obviously are mistaking me for someone else. I don’t down-vote.

just to echo others in here, i’m not ruling out a hardware problem/fix, but it’s really weird that you’re so adamant about it being something software can’t fix.

not the best example, but the boeing 737 had a software fix for its lethal flaw. a car is just about as complicated as a plane and so you can’t rule out a software fix without overwhelming evidence.

we all wanna solve this issue, i have it happening in my car too. but your attitude about it is very off putting

just to echo others in here, i’m not ruling out a hardware problem/fix, but it’s really weird that you’re so adamant about it being something software can’t fix.

not the best example, but the boeing 737 had a software fix for its lethal flaw. a car is just about as complicated as a plane and so you can’t rule out a software fix without overwhelming evidence.

we all wanna solve this issue, i have it happening in my car too. but your attitude about it is very off putting
The Boeing issue originated in software, so it was fixed in the software. This doesn't look like software not to me, not to Tesla technicians. Trying to solve it in software is just a waste of time. And this is exactly what happened.

Update 2022.8.3 was supposed to fix the "frozen camera issue" (that is the same as the "computer overheating issue" described here). But it didn't fix it. When I come to a Tesla Service, and they're just telling me to wait for a software update instead of actually working on the issue, this is totally unacceptable to me.

This is exactly what happened a month ago. If this was normal in the Tesla community, I would trade in my Tesla car without hesitation.

Last edited:
It is quite possible that the issue would stop reproducing after a software update. But, likely, this would be a symptomatic solution. It wouldn't solve the original underlaying issue. And the car would continue glitching just in less obvious ways. For example, one of the symptoms was false navigation instructions. It was rare and I doubt they would find and fix it in the symptomatic solution. That's why it's so important to focus on the correct approach for fixing this issue.

Just got confirmation that my service appointment is confirmed for Monday. Apparently my “part” is in. Support told me they are replacing my computer. We’ll see if they do. Will let everyone know what the part# is, assuming they replace.

There has been so much discussion about hardware vs software as the cause. I lean toward hardware, but I have seen stranger software issues in embedded systems before.

This could be air in the coolant system, but I don’t think so. It could be a flaw in how the heat sink is attached to the processor so the heat is not transferring properly (have seen this many times). And not to start a conspiracy issue, it could be we have a different chip (due to chip shortage) that is over-clocked via software and is overheating.

Who knows at this point.

This could be air in the coolant system, but I don’t think so.
I ruled out this in my car. They purged the air, and it only got worse after that.

It could be a flaw in how the heat sink is attached to the processor so the heat is not transferring properly (have seen this many times).
This is exactly what I believe is the likely cause of the issue and what I've seen in my experience. But just fixing the attachment might not be a permanent solution. It might detach again due to vibrations. Likely, an improved design of the cooling system and a recall are required.

And not to start a conspiracy issue, it could be we have a different chip (due to chip shortage) that is over-clocked via software and is overheating.
This is also possible and that's why I created this thread to confirm or rule out this option. But I believe that in this case, all chips from a certain batch would be malfunctioning. If this was proven true, we could easily sue Tesla.

@mr-dmitry "That's why I fully support those states that forbid Tesla to sell their cars directly to the customers."

Thanks for letting us know what's really going on. For me, this explains your language of "...A severe accident leading to severe injuries or death may occur..."
The government of several states thinks the same. And I know Tesla owners there personally. They also approve of that measure. Because they hate the quality of Tesla Service, and they yearn for competition. Being the owner of other cars, I was always able to buy parts cheap or find them the same day. And I was always able to have a same-day service appointment. With Tesla, we have to wait for months. A large number of issues that they are not fixing may also be the price we pay for not having competition in servicing Tesla cars.

Last edited:
wow you so massively crapped your own thread. good grief
With what exactly? There was no much welcome from the start 😜

And let's be honest, the fate of a $150,000 car is much more important than the beauty of a thread. I appreciate everyone's input regarding the discussed issue. But the main goal was to find the truth about that issue and how we could fix it.

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 8.51.09 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: croman