Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Tesla Model X issues: frozen camera, brake fault, high voltage system fault, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NHTSA has accepted the claim for two components:
  • ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
  • BACK OVER PREVENTION
If I understand the process correctly, now the manufacturer must provide their official response.
Not my understanding. Every report/claim is accepted, regardless of merit.

My understanding is that NHTSA will review it, and open a PE, preliminary evaluation, if they think it is credible and serious enough or if they see a pattern of lots of reports for the same issue that falls under their purview. When they open the PE they request a bunch of information from the manufacturer. Very few reports end up with a PE being opened. (There have only been 3 opened through March this year across all manufacturers.)

Last edited:
Not my understanding. Every claim is accepted, regardless of merit.

My understanding is that NHTSA will review it, and open a PE, preliminary engineering, investigation if they think it is credible and serious enough or if they see a pattern of lots of reports for the same issue that falls under their purview. When they open the PE they request a bunch of information from the manufacturer. Very few reports end up with a PE investigation being opened.
They declined the claim for another two components. This seems like a sign that they will continue the investigation for the mentioned components.

They declined the claim for another two components. This seems like a sign that they will continue the investigation for the mentioned components.
That isn't how it works. For example for 2021 Teslas there were 790 complaints accepted. From what I see they only opened 2 PEs related to Tesla. (There were 23 PEs across all manufacturers last year.)

The two PEs were:
  • Tesla "Passenger Play": The ability for passengers to play games while the vehicle was being driven.
  • Unexpected Brake Activation: "Phantom braking" while using TACC/AP.

Reactions: bhzmark
That isn't how it works. For example for 2021 Teslas there were 790 complaints accepted. From what I see they only opened 2 PEs related to Tesla. (There were 23 PEs across all manufacturers last year.)

The two PEs were:
  • Tesla "Passenger Play": The ability for passengers to play games while the vehicle was being driven.
  • Unexpected Brake Activation: "Phantom braking" while using TACC/AP.
I think we have good chances for the 3rd PE - at least for the outdated feed from the backup camera.

• Funny
I think we have good chances for the 3rd PE - at least for the outdated feed from the backup camera.
Only if the issue appears to be pervasive. They don't seem to open PEs for cases where there are only a handful of cases that are likely just from faulty parts. (It took years and hundreds of reports before they opened the PE for the Model S/X where the eMMC was failing and causing backup camera issues.)

Only if the issue appears to be pervasive. They don't seem to open PEs for cases where there are only a handful of cases that are likely just from faulty parts. (It took years and hundreds of reports before they opened the PE for the Model S/X where the eMMC was failing and causing backup camera issues.)
From their booklet: "Any person may submit a petition requesting NHTSA to open an investigation into an alleged safety defect." We'll see how it goes.

• Funny
Why are you obsessed with this nhtsa action? If the computer replacement fixes the issue who cares… move on…
Because it's obvious to me that it won't fix it completely. This time, throttling caused a lot of trouble with the car and safety. But it may also be something else. For example, high CPU load. I don't trust how Tesla is addressing this issue. Especially after their first attempt when they just updated the software and told that no further action was needed.

Because it's obvious to me that it won't fix it completely. This time, throttling caused a lot of trouble with the car and safety. But it may also be something else. For example, high CPU load. I don't trust how Tesla is addressing this issue. Especially after their first attempt when they just updated the software and told that no further action was needed.
Yaa, you are way over your skiis. I won’t engage with you further on this.

Just got message from Tesla SC that my car is done and ready for pickup. I am going to go grab it after hours.

The invoice states ... "Verified customer concern. Diagnosed and Performed Validation Test Drive. Replaced Car Computer. Verified Proper Operation."

Part# 1637790-S0-F
TLA,AP-T,CONN-
Q,MCU-Z,MSX
FUSED

This appears to be the entire computer module shown in the video I linked yesterday.

I'll report back with my findings. It might take some time though (trip this weekend) to be completely positive the issue is resolved.

Just got message from Tesla SC that my car is done and ready for pickup. I am going to go grab it after hours.

The invoice states ... "Verified customer concern. Diagnosed and Performed Validation Test Drive. Replaced Car Computer. Verified Proper Operation."

Part# 1637790-S0-F
TLA,AP-T,CONN-
Q,MCU-Z,MSX
FUSED

This appears to be the entire computer module shown in the video I linked yesterday.

I'll report back with my findings. It might take some time though (trip this weekend) to be completely positive the issue is resolved

Thanks! We’ll be waiting with baited breath :)

Ps: good luck! You should ask them when you pick up if they supercharged the car for a while since this (in my experience) is usually what sets it off…

They did charge it in the morning prior to starting work. I took it in with 20% battery. I'm assuming they were trying to reproduce. I was able to see my car being charged rapidly early this morning. Then it went dark which clued me in that they had taken out the computer. I don't think they supercharged afterwards as the battery was already close to capacity.