Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Tesla Model X issues: frozen camera, brake fault, high voltage system fault, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They did charge it in the morning prior to starting work. I took it in with 20% battery. I'm assuming they were trying to reproduce. I was able to see my car being charged rapidly early this morning. Then it went dark which clued me in that they had taken out the computer. I don't think they supercharged afterwards as the battery was already close to capacity.
Thx — we’ll that’s not particularly good, totally negates the idea that they could have verified correct operation doesn’t it!

Thx — we’ll that’s not particularly good, totally negates the idea that they could have verified correct operation doesn’t it!

I agree. I think "verified correct operation" after new computer simply means that computer is working properly and car is functional. Hard to tell. Even if they didn't supercharge afterwards, I'll give it a good test this weekend and will know for sure.

I agree. I think "verified correct operation" after new computer simply means that computer is working properly and car is functional. Hard to tell. Even if they didn't supercharge afterwards, I'll give it a good test this weekend and will know for sure.
Ok thanks — I’m now scheduled for the same new computer swap next Monday. I’m sure we aren’t the only ones, there are likely quite a few, so they must have a decent level of evidence this fixes the issue or they probably wouldn’t continue doing it… I’m sure it’s not a cheap fix for them particularly given the chip shortages….

@BamaATL Thanks for steering me to this post. My dad is in the middle of a roadtrip and has this problem too - from my other post:

My dad got on the road this morning in his new X to drive from Oregon to Ohio, he just supercharged, is in the middle of Idaho, and his X is going completely bonkers. GPS location is all over the place, he's getting dozens of warnings in the UI while driving from low tire pressure warnings to pull over immediately, and the car isn't making a cellular connection. Having him call roadside assistance it's a complete mess.

Reactions: mr-dmitry
@BamaATL Thanks for steering me to this post. My dad is in the middle of a roadtrip and has this problem too - from my other post:

My dad got on the road this morning in his new X to drive from Oregon to Ohio, he just supercharged, is in the middle of Idaho, and his X is going completely bonkers. GPS location is all over the place, he's getting dozens of warnings in the UI while driving from low tire pressure warnings to pull over immediately, and the car isn't making a cellular connection. Having him call roadside assistance it's a complete mess.

He can solve it temporarily by rebooting car. It must be a 2 Scroll Wheel + Brake reset.

It may reoccur if he goes in reverse or brings up backup camera. Turn signal cameras can trigger as well so I would turn them off during his trip. I have been through this on 3 trips. Although a PITA, it's actually usable once you figure out how to reset.

BTW, after a reboot, tell him his internet might take up to 5 minutes to come back up.

He can solve it temporarily by rebooting car. It must be a 2 Scroll Wheel + Brake reset.

It may reoccur if he goes in reverse or brings up backup camera. Turn signal cameras can trigger as well so I would turn them off during his trip. I have been through this on 3 trips. Although a PITA, it's actually usable once you figure out how to reset.

BTW, after a reboot, tell him his internet might take up to 5 minutes to come back up.
He just got off a call with Tesla Roadside Assistance - they told him to do a two scroll wheel reset and sent him on his way. He just called me and was backing into a supercharger, said that the rear camera showed him being ~12 ft away from the supercharger and then all of a sudden he hit the curb just in front of the supercharger. Apparently the backup camera is locking up when driving in reverse...he didn't notice that is was not representing reality until he made contact.

• Informative
Reactions: mr-dmitry
He just got off a call with Tesla Roadside Assistance - they told him to do a two scroll wheel reset and sent him on his way. He just called me and was backing into a supercharger, said that the rear camera showed him being ~12 ft away from the supercharger and then all of a sudden he hit the curb just in front of the supercharger. Apparently the backup camera is locking up when driving in reverse...he didn't notice that is was not representing reality until he made contact.
Please report this incident to Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

Reactions: Turboz3 and fpb600

It will happen again for him on the trip.

Definitely don’t trust back up camera or nav when car is in this state.

For me it would trigger with backup camera or blind spot camera (during turn signal) when car was hot, preconditioning or supercharging. .

I turned off blind spot turn signal camera and was able to drive for hours without issue. ( until I put in reverse again)

The whole point here is that it's safe to drive only until this happens. It took 1,500 miles in long trips for me.

You are the only 1 having the physical control inputs that you claim. Everyone else has false warnings and the car fully clears and is safe to drive after a reset.

You should sell your Tesla and move on to something else.

You are the only 1 having the physical control inputs that you claim. Everyone else has false warnings and the car fully clears and is safe to drive after a reset.
The issue is exactly the same - it just has a range of severity depending on how bad it is. Another factor might also be contributing to this. For example, I used all three displays on many of the long trips. And I charged it to 100% on long trips, even at a supercharger.

What happened to me may happen with every one of you - just with a lower probability.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
This clearly has something to do with the HDMI interface as the trigger appears to be related to the the cameras. I'd be interested in seeing if the issue can be reproduced by just bringing up the cameras via the camera button in the UI or if it only happens when there is a physical trigger involved (putting the car in reverse, using a turn signal, etc...).

This clearly has something to do with the HDMI interface as the trigger appears to be related to the the cameras. I'd be interested in seeing if the issue can be reproduced by just bringing up the cameras via the camera button in the UI or if it only happens when there is a physical trigger involved (putting the car in reverse, using a turn signal, etc...).
Could be similar to 8K hdmi chips that have bugs recently with new receivers from Denon and others