Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Tesla Model X issues: frozen camera, brake fault, high voltage system fault, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible for someone to take over ownership of the thread?

Is it possible to block individuals from the thread?

I agree that the value of this thread is very high; this issue is real. But it is becoming very frustrating, overly alarming and misleading.

BTW, thanks to you and other moderators for the time you invest.
I've added the OP to my ignore list. His posts don't show up anymore. Please do use this thread to report back progress or lack thereof. I still think the jury is out whether this is truly a hardware defect or a firmware issue related to the mix of semiconductor sources that Tesla has been using for the MCU. I have a service appointment on Friday, they have looked at my logs and are doing more diagnostic steps then. I will bring the car at a low state of charge and ask them to Supercharger to 80% and do a test drive.

Tesla Service has rescheduled my service appointment for the second time. They ordered something else in addition to the previously ordered computer. I've been waiting for the repairs since the second day of ownership when the the problem was reported on March 26. I doubt there is a slower service in the entire world.

Mine was supposed to be last week but they scheduled it for May 25th, citing parts that needed to come in. I'm suspecting it's for the computer they might want to replace. It's understandable the slow service, we're in a supply chain crunch AND a chip shortage. Luckily my issue doesn't manifest on L2 charging and so I haven't seen it much at all.

Reactions: BamaATL and Pricedm
Mine was supposed to be last week but they scheduled it for May 25th, citing parts that needed to come in. I'm suspecting it's for the computer they might want to replace. It's understandable the slow service, we're in a supply chain crunch AND a chip shortage. Luckily my issue doesn't manifest on L2 charging and so I haven't seen it much at all.
The issue reproduced for me on an L2 charger only after two dozen charging sessions. So, the issue still occurs at L2 chargers - it's just less likely. By the way, that was the case when the car spontaneously activated Summon on its own.

He can solve it temporarily by rebooting car. It must be a 2 Scroll Wheel + Brake reset.

It may reoccur if he goes in reverse or brings up backup camera. Turn signal cameras can trigger as well so I would turn them off during his trip. I have been through this on 3 trips. Although a PITA, it's actually usable once you figure out how to reset.

BTW, after a reboot, tell him his internet might take up to 5 minutes to come back up.
Same happened to me. They changed out the compute. A few weeks now and it’s mostly been ok. Still another issue with a camera. Loud honking noise when stopping with the breaks. Door handles present randomly while driving. Then to add to the misery customer service is the worst ever. Don’t buy a refresh plaid or LR!! My first and now my last Tesla.

Reactions: mr-dmitry
Same happened to me. They changed out the compute. A few weeks now and it’s mostly been ok. Still another issue with a camera. Loud honking noise when stopping with the breaks. Door handles present randomly while driving. Then to add to the misery customer service is the worst ever. Don’t buy a refresh plaid or LR!! My first and now my last Tesla.
What issue with the camera do you have after the computer replacement?

What issue with the camera do you have after the computer replacement?
On dark rural roads the left fender camera gives an error that it’s covered or needs to be cleaned. It goes away when a car passing in the poising lane lights up the road. Then error again after the car passes. If I turn on the left turn signal it lights up the road just enough to make the error go away. It’s not dirty.

Plus they canceled and rescheduled the mobile visit twice and now say it’s not available in the foreseeable future and I have to now go to the service center that’s two hours away. Oh and months to even get to that. Worst car experience ever and I have had a lot of cars. 4300mi is all I have on the car. And they won’t even admit that they have a problem with the half shaft. So don’t by this car unless you want to get the shaft😤 160k for this POS

Plus they canceled and rescheduled the mobile visit twice and now say it’s not available in the foreseeable future and I have to now go to the service center that’s two hours away. Oh and months to even get to that. Worst car experience ever and I have had a lot of cars. 4300mi is all I have on the car. And they won’t even admit that they have a problem with the half shaft. So don’t by this car unless you want to get the shaft😤 160k for this POS
So sorry, its hard to own a car when there is no local service center. It does sound like a bad camera that needs to be replaced. Hopefully they can diagnose remotely, order the part, and you can make one trip and get everything fixed in one go. Or maybe Mobile Coverage will be back sometime this summer and they can come to you.

Reactions: Turboz3
So sorry, its hard to own a car when there is no local service center. It does sound like a bad camera that needs to be replaced. Hopefully they can diagnose remotely, order the part, and you can make one trip and get everything fixed in one go. Or maybe Mobile Coverage will be back sometime this summer and they can come to you.
Thanks aus1andr. It’s just a shame. As an engineer myself I really want to support Tesla and SpaceX but this is making it hard. If I built a product with these kind of issues I would be fired. There are even more issues that I did not even mention. Like it makes a loud duck like sound when using the breaks. They re-surfaced the pads supposedly and guess what, it’s back within a few 100 miles. Then there is the front window that has wavy lines to look through. And the rear hatch that would not latch.

That was actually not that bad... For me, they forgot to order the parts and rescheduled the appointment 3 times. I've been waiting for the repairs since March when the problem first appeared at 150 miles (just after the delivery).

Last edited:
Thanks aus1andr. It’s just a shame. As an engineer myself I really want to support Tesla and SpaceX but this is making it hard. If I built a product with these kind of issues I would be fired. There are even more issues that I did not even mention. Like it makes a loud duck like sound when using the breaks. They re-surfaced the pads supposedly and guess what, it’s back within a few 100 miles. Then there is the front window that has wavy lines to look through. And the rear hatch that would not latch.
I've extensively tested their "Autopilot" features, and I've seen dozens of serious problems there. The brain of Tesla cars is much worse than widespread mechanical problems. The purchase of this car has been one of the greatest disappointments in my life. Thinking if it's worth waiting for FSD.

Last edited:
This is interesting that you saw the same intermittently on your refreshed S.

I am taking a trip this weekend with the new computer replacement and will report back end of weekend. It should be pretty clear (on my car anyway) whether the new computer replacement solved the issue. I have been able to reproduce the issue multiple times on my last 3 road trips.

Based on the video I posted a few pages back, the refreshed S and X have the same computer module.

Good news today on 1st half of trip from ATL to Tuscaloosa. Drove for well over 3.5 hours and 265+ miles. Stopped outside of Tuscaloosa at new supercharger, grabbed lunch and charged for 30 min from 13%-87%.

Jumped in car and arrived in Tuscaloosa shortly after. Multiple small trips within city. Drove 60 miles to hotel in Birmingham for the night.

Will charge up / top off at Bucees new SC tomorrow before heading home.

No issues at all today. Refreshing.

Not claiming issue is fully resolved yet, but today was good with very positive results.

On dark rural roads the left fender camera gives an error that it’s covered or needs to be cleaned. It goes away when a car passing in the poising lane lights up the road. Then error again after the car passes. If I turn on the left turn signal it lights up the road just enough to make the error go away. It’s not dirty.

My left front camera does this also on dark rural roads near my home. Get notice that the camera is blocked. When I bring up the camera view, all is good. This is a software thing related to the camera not seeing something it thinks it should.

I wouldn't necessarily correlate this to the MCU/CPU replacement.

I’m getting this exact issue every time I finish supercharging. This is on my Model S plaid. It was pretty scary at first since it was my first road trip. I had 6 different panels with paint imperfections even my advisor was shocked at how bad the paint job was.

Love the car, but the quality needs to be improved. Tesla makes it easy for me to declare my car a lemon and get my money back.