TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Refreshing website creating issues.... tesla-waze site

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by russman, Dec 16, 2015.

1. russman

russman Member

Recently, I've gotten into the car and press the brake and it says Systems starting up, but the center console never comes up. Parking Assist is disabled. After waiting a longtime, I end up having to reboot the console.

Contacted my service center and they remotely looked into the car and said it appears that the website is creating the issue and to put the browser to something like google when not in use.

This was the site that I left my browser on: http://tesla-waze.excelsis.com/

So if you have this quirk, might be something to consider. I guess websites that constantly refresh may be an issue.

Just thought I'd share. I'll probably switch the google, when I get out of the car and see if the lockups stop.

Russ

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I've had no problem with this site at all. It can be slow to load, but so are most sites on the browser. You may have something else going on.

3. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Funny, I've had no issues with tesla-waze.excelsis.com, although I have seen constant-refreshing behavior if I leave the browser on news.google.com. But even when I manage to leave the browser on a site whose content refreshes periodically, I haven't needed to reboot the center display.

Please do let us know if your lockups stop after you switch to a static page. I'm also thinking that the website might not be the cause here, but you never know.

4. fact200

fact200 Member

Have heard this issue on and off for a while now for various auto-refreshing sites (e.g. yahoo quotes), but have not seen any evidence that this is really the case. It would reflect extremely poor
    software engineering if they allowed typical user actions to interfere with core sub-systems; this is perhaps one reason the web browser is so slow in the first place.

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

Sounds like a memory leak issue to me.

6. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

This isn't the first time Tesla has blamed the Tesla-Waze webpage. The issue is there are lots of other people who keep it open, and it doesn't cause problems. I'm not convinced.

7. russman

russman Member

This was the response from the service center after they took a look at my logs remotely. I gave them specific time when the system locked up. I did tell them that I don't think this website is rich-content, which initiated the second response. I'll try it and see. Also, they were saying I was leaving it on this page, as my issues were when the car wouldn't wake up.

Our engineers found that the web-browser is on a rich-content website that is affecting the touchscreen performance. We recommend that you keep the browser on Teslamotors.com when it is not in use. If it is behaving abnormally many times a touchscreen reset is all it needs. Overall, they found that the vehicle is operating as designed.

Our engineering team said that the website it is currently on is constantly refreshing which is causing the issue. If the issue still persists when on Teslamotors.com or google.com please let me know.

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

The hilarity is that they consider Teslamotors.com to NOT be content-rich?!?

9. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

It's a pretty slow and bloated site but at least it doesn't auto refresh constantly AFAIK.

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Oh, I know and agree. But in the first email exchange, they don't say use a site that doesn't auto-refresh. They say the problem is the site is content-rich and then point him to another one that is just as content-rich! :)

The second email exchange at least complains about "constant refreshing".

11. fact200

fact200 Member

The "constant" refreshing is, at most, once every 30 seconds and typically doesn't involve many secondary requests (unless you're zoomed in a lot, or traveling at 100 mph) as it only applies differences and doesn't do a full reload of content.